Stack the box?

I don't anticipate any drastic changes. Midway through the 2nd quarter it will be clear Pelini didn't watch the Wisconsin-Northwestern film.

You're aware that MG3 set a career high rushing mark in the NW game, no? I guess you could follow NW's scheme and hope that UW again throws three picks in the absolute worst possible places, but that seems like a poor strategy.

• Fire 2

We don't line up extra guys in the box but we play our safeties much more aggressively than most teams. So while we will probably only have the traditional seven in the box most of the time - we do walk a safety up to be an extra guy in the box against certain formations - you'll see the safeties flying up to the line as soon as they see run.

Gerry has made a lot of tackles on running plays at or even behind the line just by reading and attacking - not a called blitz.

If you don't take the proper angles this can also destroy you.

In the 2012 BTC game Nebraska would have benefited from pressure up the middle and the ends getting upfield, forcing the run inside to the LB'ers.

We have upgraded at DT, DE, LB, and safety since that game. The key will be understanding the speed of Gordon and not over committing. If we do, he will run right past us.

Nate Gerry seems like he could be a huge factor in this game. I imagine Bo will be involving Gerry in stopping the run quite a bit. I trust our CB's on their WR's in one on one coverage. Let's just see if Bo and Papuchis trust them. The fear of the big play has always seemed to rule the way we play defense.

• Fire 1

We don't line up extra guys in the box but we play our safeties much more aggressively than most teams. So while we will probably only have the traditional seven in the box most of the time - we do walk a safety up to be an extra guy in the box against certain formations - you'll see the safeties flying up to the line as soon as they see run.

Gerry has made a lot of tackles on running plays at or even behind the line just by reading and attacking - not a called blitz.

What about play action? If they're walking or flying up...they'll get beat over the middle (Minnesota example). It's a guessing game and it shouldn't be. Seems like Bo's defense puts the most responsibility on the secondary for his defense to work. Like a lot have notice on here, it's a bend don't break between the 20 yard lines, expect our 4 DL and a couple LBs to outplay their blockers, while the secondary is responsible to keep people in front of them - even if it's already a 7-9 yard gain because he fears giving up the big play. Then hopefully tighten up in the red zone.

And True makes another valid point about angles. Langford made Roach and Josh Mitchell look silly on his TD run. That was a big play on just a gut run that he made a nice cut back.

I hope we are ready. This is a running offense. Our defense is going to have a lot of responsibility just to know all their reads, with fake blitzes and drop back coverage, and pray that no one messes up their read or execution. BC if one person does it all breaks down.

Against an obvious running team.....

Gotta take a simple approach Saturday. Keep it simple and get an extra body in the box. Just commit to stopping the run. You have better odds to hold them when it's 3rd and 7 since they struggle with consistency in their passing game - much much worse then we have.

I'm not suggesting I know how to play Wisconsin. I'm not a defensive guy. But I'm just agreeing with others that we have to make it very difficult to earn rushing yards and it starts with an extra guy always in the box to help stuff it.

My biggest criticism of Pelini, and also Beck. I just don't feel like they do anything specific for each opponent. I feel like they just do their thing every week and hope it works. Most of the time it does, but I still feel like I never see any special planning.

These big games present special challenges and schemes.

My biggest criticism of Pelini, and also Beck. I just don't feel like they do anything specific for each opponent. I feel like they just do their thing every week and hope it works. Most of the time it does, but I still feel like I never see any special planning.

I can't speak for Beck, but defensively what would you have them change? Unless you're playing an offense like an air raid or triple option I don't think the things you do from game to game as far as your defensive scheme should change drastically.

I can't speak for Beck, but defensively what would you have them change? Unless you're playing an offense like an air raid or triple option I don't think the things you do from game to game as far as your defensive scheme should change drastically.

I agree with you, yes you might use other "packages" more based on the opposing teams offense, but I'm not sure what he's getting at? Interested though to see what he comes back with, I might learn something!

this is what you get with a coach that is not smart enough to be a head coach and surrounds himself self with other under qualified individuals.You can get by with that until you have to play someone with a pulse.

this is what you get with a coach that is not smart enough to be a head coach and surrounds himself self with other under qualified individuals.You can get by with that until you have to play someone with a pulse.

Polo sock?

Not true, Beck installed the inside timing patterns for Purdue because he seen something on film. Even though it did not work, we do make some changes. We also had our MLB play zone pass coverage instead being at the line. Most of the time, they are just not very big. Unless you watch a lot of games or films, you do not see the changes

Polo sock?

nope just a guy that has watched this team we call our own for 40+ yrs. and is saddened by its slide into mediocrity

Well I really hope we don't shift our 3 linebackers all to the strong side like we did in 2012 (with success in first game, got destroyed doing this in CCG).

I actually wouldn't mind running a "Gap 8" today but that is not seen in CFB anymore. To elaborate. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 DT's in there with Valentine or Collins on the nose. Walk up Gerry as a "monster" or LB.

Doubt that's in the game plan though.

Well I really hope we don't shift our 3 linebackers all to the strong side like we did in 2012 (with success in first game, got destroyed doing this in CCG).

I actually wouldn't mind running a "Gap 8" today but that is not seen in CFB anymore. To elaborate. I wouldn't mind seeing 3 DT's in there with Valentine or Collins on the nose. Walk up Gerry as a "monster" or LB.

Doubt that's in the game plan though.

Play a 5-2. Bring in Williams and have Anderson and Roach as LBs