This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.......

lo country

Scott Frost. He gets it. This is an old article, but defines our current offensive woes in a way that I can't. We all talk about lack of identity, not having a system and having no answer when the D stuffs the box.

I like/liked the idea of Scott as OC. Even better after reading this article. Just picturing what he envisions is awesome, and possible and would be embraced like a hungry man on a Runza. (damn I miss those. I mean really, really miss those!)

http://smartfootball.com/uncategorized/combining-tom-osbornes-nebraska-offense-with-chip-kellys-oregon-offense-the-stuff-dreams-are-made-of#sthash.ULQyN5ed.55jANbiT.dpbs

• Fire 6

This is the definition of an identity for those that say that word just gets thrown around. We dont have one. Havent had one since Bod been here. Year after year its a quagmeier of multiplicity. A jack of all trades master on none crapshoot of which i could do as good a job callin plays by flippin a coin or playin rock paper scissors.

This is the definition of an identity for those that say that word just gets thrown around. We dont have one. Havent had one since Bod been here. Year after year its a quagmeier of multiplicity. A jack of all trades master on none crapshoot of which i could do as good a job callin plays by flippin a coin or playin rock paper scissors.

Gotta switch up the play calling to keep the defense on its toes

rock_paper_scissors_lizard_spock__by_liz

Great article, I don't really care what kind of offense Nebraska whether they spread it out and run an option like Oregon or line up in a power I and pound people like Wisconsin. Nebraska needs an identity on offense what ever it is and recruit to it and master it. I have no idea what kind of offense Nebraska is trying to run now but it looks like sh#t every Saturday

• Fire 1

Great article, I don't really care what kind of offense Nebraska whether they spread it out and run an option like Oregon or line up in a power I and pound people like Wisconsin. Nebraska needs an identity on offense what ever it is and recruit to it and master it. I have no idea what kind of offense Nebraska is trying to run now but it looks like sh#t every Saturday

Agree. I also think it really hurts recruiting. We can't fit the recruits to our system so we go after "that guy". We want to be an inside/outside zone read spread option power running, triple option, belly G up tempo ball control PA passing with the short game of the WCO with a pocket passer game predicted on the mobile qb.......Case in point, Imani Cross. Not to bag on him. The guy is a beast, but isn't going to be running sweeps or outside runs. The guy is a bruiser, but the square peg (Cross) is being pounded into the round hole (sweep, outside zone read). So we recruit guys who can't do it all, but expect them to perform at a high level. Hell no one can do it all. Same with TE's. We have 1 receiving TE (Carter). When we wanted to run in comes the "blocking" TE. Want to pass, get the "receiving" TE. BS. Get a system and get players for that system. This way you don't "tell" the DC with personnel sets. You get a kid you know can catch, run, pass, pull etc FOR THE SYSTEM YOU HAVE..... Beck has no system. Just a wikipedia description of offenses through the ages saved on his faves...........

Any idea if TA was a pocket passer in Texas or did he roll out? Just wondering....

• Fire 1

chest pump here. I was bitchen about this sh#t 4 weeks ago and was an idiot. 500 yards a game i was told. Lol

I agree that we need an identity. It helps to have a single overarching focus and to commit to that. The only thing I didn't like about what Frost said was that he wants to combine the physicality of the old Nebraska system with the speed and tempo of the Oregon system. To me, this sounds eerily similar to what Beck has tried to do (be "multiple") and is inconsistent with the "identity" ethos.

Stanford under Harbaugh and Wisconsin are smashmouth, power-run teams that pound you and pound you and pound you. Big linemen, big backs, fullbacks, tight ends. Pound the rock, burn the clock. You know what's coming but you don't have the strength to stop it.

Auburn and Oregon are up-tempo, finesse teams with smaller, faster players. They get to the line quick, use misdirection, and get the defense on their heels. You're gassed and confused and eventually give up big chucks of yardage.

I think things tend to go awry when you try to combine the two. Who wouldn't want to be fast, confusing, and powerful? Sounds great, right? Trouble is that these are often mutually exclusive endeavors. The linemen that Oregon needs to run its system (smaller more mobile) are different from those Wisconsin needs to run its physical system (massive road-graders). This is not to mention that the more time you try sharpening one attribute, the rustier the other one gets.

IMO, we need to pick one--up-tempo spread offense or smashmouth power-run--and stick with it.