This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.......

lo country

Great article, I don't really care what kind of offense Nebraska whether they spread it out and run an option like Oregon or line up in a power I and pound people like Wisconsin. Nebraska needs an identity on offense what ever it is and recruit to it and master it. I have no idea what kind of offense Nebraska is trying to run now but it looks like sh#t every Saturday

Agree. I also think it really hurts recruiting. We can't fit the recruits to our system so we go after "that guy". We want to be an inside/outside zone read spread option power running, triple option, belly G up tempo ball control PA passing with the short game of the WCO with a pocket passer game predicted on the mobile qb.......Case in point, Imani Cross. Not to bag on him. The guy is a beast, but isn't going to be running sweeps or outside runs. The guy is a bruiser, but the square peg (Cross) is being pounded into the round hole (sweep, outside zone read).
Imani Cross takes a lot of flack and people think he can't run outside. That's not exactly true. His problem is he is trying to make this redixulous jump cuts that Ameer makes look so easy, but he is too tall and heavy to make them. He can make one good quick cut, but not of the same style as AA. I've also seen him hesitate when approaching the line of scrimmage, on both inside and outside runs. He slows his feet and tries to juke and wiggle, but his agility isn't there for that style of running. This leads to his outside runs going for little or no gain. Also, sometimes when he runs inside, he slows up (and I've seen him even stop once or twice) just before he hits a hole because he's looking for a cutback lane. When he does hit the hole, he doesn't always lower his shoulder and accelerate through it. If he can be taught to only try for one quick cutback at a time, to not hesitate, and to hit that hole at full speed with a low pad level, he could be a very good power runner. He has uncommon speed for his size, he just isn't using it right. I hope that he learns to fix these things by next year, or he might lose his position to Adam Taylor.

IMO, Cross has gotten worse since he's been here. Didn't he have a ton of TDs his first year? I recall him being a nice change of pace, rumbling, bumbling, stumbling, and spinning to some decent runs, breaking off a long one every once in awhile. I used to actually kind of get excited when he came on the field. Now I just cringe. I seem to recall Newby having some exciting runs last year, too. This year he's played like ass.

I dare say our players get worse the longer they stay in the program. At this rate, DPE will probably not see the field in year 4.

Great article, I don't really care what kind of offense Nebraska whether they spread it out and run an option like Oregon or line up in a power I and pound people like Wisconsin. Nebraska needs an identity on offense what ever it is and recruit to it and master it. I have no idea what kind of offense Nebraska is trying to run now but it looks like sh#t every Saturday

Agree. I also think it really hurts recruiting. We can't fit the recruits to our system so we go after "that guy". We want to be an inside/outside zone read spread option power running, triple option, belly G up tempo ball control PA passing with the short game of the WCO with a pocket passer game predicted on the mobile qb.......Case in point, Imani Cross. Not to bag on him. The guy is a beast, but isn't going to be running sweeps or outside runs. The guy is a bruiser, but the square peg (Cross) is being pounded into the round hole (sweep, outside zone read). So we recruit guys who can't do it all, but expect them to perform at a high level. Hell no one can do it all. Same with TE's. We have 1 receiving TE (Carter). When we wanted to run in comes the "blocking" TE. Want to pass, get the "receiving" TE. BS. Get a system and get players for that system. This way you don't "tell" the DC with personnel sets. You get a kid you know can catch, run, pass, pull etc FOR THE SYSTEM YOU HAVE..... Beck has no system. Just a wikipedia description of offenses through the ages saved on his faves...........

Any idea if TA was a pocket passer in Texas or did he roll out? Just wondering....

not sure but the running back at texas, malcom brown? Was in the back field with him so I think he was the center piece of the offense expect for TA's senior year if I'm remembering right. Either way he had a completion % in the 50's in highschool as well. In my opinion TA needs to run the ball at least 15 times a game to be effective, his arm might just never get there, but he can run effectively.

I agree that we need an identity. It helps to have a single overarching focus and to commit to that. The only thing I didn't like about what Frost said was that he wants to combine the physicality of the old Nebraska system with the speed and tempo of the Oregon system. To me, this sounds eerily similar to what Beck has tried to do (be "multiple") and is inconsistent with the "identity" ethos.

Stanford under Harbaugh and Wisconsin are smashmouth, power-run teams that pound you and pound you and pound you. Big linemen, big backs, fullbacks, tight ends. Pound the rock, burn the clock. You know what's coming but you don't have the strength to stop it.

Auburn and Oregon are up-tempo, finesse teams with smaller, faster players. They get to the line quick, use misdirection, and get the defense on their heels. You're gassed and confused and eventually give up big chucks of yardage.

I think things tend to go awry when you try to combine the two. Who wouldn't want to be fast, confusing, and powerful? Sounds great, right? Trouble is that these are often mutually exclusive endeavors. The linemen that Oregon needs to run its system (smaller more mobile) are different from those Wisconsin needs to run its physical system (massive road-graders). This is not to mention that the more time you try sharpening one attribute, the rustier the other one gets.

IMO, we need to pick one--up-tempo spread offense or smashmouth power-run--and stick with it.

I would like to disagree with you on some of your points. Let's start with the O-line. Big, slow, and strong is good for goal line or 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It'll be a long, slow grind. That's not smash mouth football. The oldest "power running" system EVER is the old single wing of the pre WWII days. There were almost no passING plays, so the QB was another running back. He took the snap from 4 yards behind the line (not under center: today we call it the shotgun snap) and would either hand the ball to a fullback in a dive, run off tackle himself, or pitch it to the halfback in a sweep. Later development lead to the first option run plays, and later to the first triple option plays. Most plays in this system used one or both pulling guards and a tight end or two as lead blockers. This system, developed by Pop Warner, was to help his small, undersized team compete with larger, stronger teams through trickery and misdirection. The idea of a pulling guard and a fullback to use as lead blockers in a Dive play straight up the middle blended some of the aspects of the Single Wing formation with the more popular "T" formation, which would later develope into the "I" formation. Devaney, here at NU, used the I with pulling guards and lead blockers to run a power set. Those guards had to be quick and agile enough to be able to get around the center to make a block on time. Dr. Tom took the I and added the triple option of the old Single Wing and the (very very popular at the time) Wishbone, and made the option offense he was so famous for. The thing all these offenses had in common? Strong, but slightly smaller and faster linemen. Or at least very agile linemen. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Besides, blocking is all about balance and strength, not size. In fact, smaller and stronger linemen are able to get better leverage against larger opponents and can make much better blockers. It takes tremendous leg strength, though.

Now, combining Oregon's spread option with the Power option is actually quite easy. Just run a pistol formation, but set a fullback 1.5 yards to one side of the QB. He can lead block along with a pulling guard anywhere along the line, he can take the ball himself for a FB dive in short yardage situations, he can be one part of a triple option, he can be a lead blocker on a speed option pitch to the outside, and can motion out of the backfield to a slot position for a 4 verticals play along with the 3 recievers in this hypothetical formation. Power running isn't about size, it's about strength, scheme, and timing. Practice will perect all three of these things. The scary part is that Oregon has already started to apply some of these power blocking schemes to their inside zone read plays. So has Auburn, for that matter.

What I don't understand is why Beck has nearly the perfect personel for this kind of scheme, but runs a zone blocking cutback running game. It baffles me.

If you want to know more about different schemes on offense or defense, just let me know.

• Fire 1

Hire Moglia for a dollar with Frost to be OC/hc in waiting and let him be groomed.

That's the only way is go for it.

I know that sounds good to you, but what happens if he turns this program into a bigger disaster than Bo?

Bo's pretty f'ing far from perfect, but he's coached in the NFL and been on a NC staff, which is more than Joe...

I agree that we need an identity. It helps to have a single overarching focus and to commit to that. The only thing I didn't like about what Frost said was that he wants to combine the physicality of the old Nebraska system with the speed and tempo of the Oregon system. To me, this sounds eerily similar to what Beck has tried to do (be "multiple") and is inconsistent with the "identity" ethos.

Stanford under Harbaugh and Wisconsin are smashmouth, power-run teams that pound you and pound you and pound you. Big linemen, big backs, fullbacks, tight ends. Pound the rock, burn the clock. You know what's coming but you don't have the strength to stop it.

Auburn and Oregon are up-tempo, finesse teams with smaller, faster players. They get to the line quick, use misdirection, and get the defense on their heels. You're gassed and confused and eventually give up big chucks of yardage.

I think things tend to go awry when you try to combine the two. Who wouldn't want to be fast, confusing, and powerful? Sounds great, right? Trouble is that these are often mutually exclusive endeavors. The linemen that Oregon needs to run its system (smaller more mobile) are different from those Wisconsin needs to run its physical system (massive road-graders). This is not to mention that the more time you try sharpening one attribute, the rustier the other one gets.

IMO, we need to pick one--up-tempo spread offense or smashmouth power-run--and stick with it.

I would like to disagree with you on some of your points. Let's start with the O-line. Big, slow, and strong is good for goal line or 3 yards and a cloud of dust. It'll be a long, slow grind. That's not smash mouth football. The oldest "power running" system EVER is the old single wing of the pre WWII days. There were almost no passING plays, so the QB was another running back. He took the snap from 4 yards behind the line (not under center: today we call it the shotgun snap) and would either hand the ball to a fullback in a dive, run off tackle himself, or pitch it to the halfback in a sweep. Later development lead to the first option run plays, and later to the first triple option plays. Most plays in this system used one or both pulling guards and a tight end or two as lead blockers. This system, developed by Pop Warner, was to help his small, undersized team compete with larger, stronger teams through trickery and misdirection. The idea of a pulling guard and a fullback to use as lead blockers in a Dive play straight up the middle blended some of the aspects of the Single Wing formation with the more popular "T" formation, which would later develope into the "I" formation. Devaney, here at NU, used the I with pulling guards and lead blockers to run a power set. Those guards had to be quick and agile enough to be able to get around the center to make a block on time. Dr. Tom took the I and added the triple option of the old Single Wing and the (very very popular at the time) Wishbone, and made the option offense he was so famous for. The thing all these offenses had in common? Strong, but slightly smaller and faster linemen. Or at least very agile linemen. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Besides, blocking is all about balance and strength, not size. In fact, smaller and stronger linemen are able to get better leverage against larger opponents and can make much better blockers. It takes tremendous leg strength, though.

Now, combining Oregon's spread option with the Power option is actually quite easy. Just run a pistol formation, but set a fullback 1.5 yards to one side of the QB. He can lead block along with a pulling guard anywhere along the line, he can take the ball himself for a FB dive in short yardage situations, he can be one part of a triple option, he can be a lead blocker on a speed option pitch to the outside, and can motion out of the backfield to a slot position for a 4 verticals play along with the 3 recievers in this hypothetical formation. Power running isn't about size, it's about strength, scheme, and timing. Practice will perect all three of these things. The scary part is that Oregon has already started to apply some of these power blocking schemes to their inside zone read plays. So has Auburn, for that matter.

What I don't understand is why Beck has nearly the perfect personel for this kind of scheme, but runs a zone blocking cutback running game. It baffles me.

If you want to know more about different schemes on offense or defense, just let me know.

Good stuff. Can you elaborate on the bolded?

So people are pissed/mad that Bo was brought in with no experience as head coach, but they are willing to give Frost a chance? Is it because he is a former player and 'understands' the mentality of some of the lunatic unrealistic fans? Is it because he inherited an OC job with endless talent for 'his' system? It is amazing how some are so easily swayed to speak out of both sides of their mouth!

Lo, zone blocking is when the lineman all go left together (or right). The back looks for an open lane. He starts left with the play and makes his cut to the whatever gap is there. It's not a play called to cut back. But if there is space to cut back, he can. I know the Redskins use zone blocking.

It's the opposite of lineman going helmet to helmet straight ahead.

Hire Moglia for a dollar with Frost to be OC/hc in waiting and let him be groomed.

I know that sounds good to you, but what happens if he turns this program into a bigger disaster than Bo?

Bo's pretty f'ing far from perfect, but he's coached in the NFL and been on a NC staff, which is more than Joe...

The next coach very well may be a disaster, we have no way of knowing. But we are facing the reality that Nebraska either needs to roll the dice on finding a new coach with a high risk/high reward, or simply be content with who we've got, knowing damn well that Pelini is always going to win 9 games but will never, ever win a championship or be perceived as a legitimate contender. It's a tough spot to be in.

• Fire 5

So people are pissed/mad that Bo was brought in with no experience as head coach, but they are willing to give Frost a chance? Is it because he is a former player and 'understands' the mentality of some of the lunatic unrealistic fans? Is it because he inherited an OC job with endless talent for 'his' system? It is amazing how some are so easily swayed to speak out of both sides of their mouth!

I think/guess that has something to do with it. But also his success at Oregon. They are real good offensively. And some of it has to do with 7 years of Bo being all blllaaahhhhwllalalala

What gets lost in all this "Bo needs to bring in a new OC/DC" is the other assistants. Bo isn't going to roll Cotton, Brown, Fisher...etc.

It's too late for Bo. He's the problem.

I don't think assistants should be forced on anyone...but, anyone coming in would be an idiot not to keep Brown (I hold up Bill Callahan's letting Brown go as evidence to prove this point). If you look back at the different positions he's coached over the years...THAT position....whatever it may be at the time....is always solid.

What gets lost in all this "Bo needs to bring in a new OC/DC" is the other assistants. Bo isn't going to roll Cotton, Brown, Fisher...etc.

It's too late for Bo. He's the problem.

The only position coaches that have really proven themselves (excluding GAs) would be Brown, and possibly Fisher. Everyone else could be let go and replaced if a new OC were to come on board for Bo, IMO.

But until we improve our offense and don't leave our defense on a damn Wisconsin-shaped snowy island, we will see more drubbings, and fewer close games when we do lose.

Then they try again?

• Fire 1