This guy gets "it" when it comes to what NU needs on O.......

lo country

I hope a majority of you that want Frost as a HC/OC realize that the offense he is running isn't his. He has help implementing the offensive gameplan from Helfrich, who was the previous OC for Chip Kelly. I am sure he has a good idea on what it would take to do the job at a different school but I feel it would be a struggle.

at least he knows what offense he is trying to implement.

That's the issue. He isn't implementing anything at Oregon. They have been running the same offense since Kelly took over for Belotti and it has just been passed down. I would like to see him go somewhere else and implement an offense/gameplan that is his own before he comes here. It might be a struggle the first couple years but he has been around great coaching and has probably picked up some things.

Scott would be fine if you're convinced an Oregon copycat offense is the way to go.

But we had a formula that worked for 40 years. Wisconson just used that formula to beat the piss out of us . . . again. We've been flopping around like a fish out of water since we abandoned what made us great. Bring back smashmouth football.

This^^^

Personally I don't want an Oregon offense or west coast or whate'er the hell sling the ball around BS works for many teams. I want to be Wisconsin, Minnesota, Stanford.....I want to get back to lining up and shove the ball down somebody's f'ing throat. And I want them to know exactly what we're going to do to them and they still can't stop it. If we can't get back to that, well, I'll never be fully invested again. Billy C. screwed that up and this current, be multiple, take what they give us BS, screw that. We need to take what we want and leave the f'ing bodies in our wake.

i'd be happy just to utilize tight ends more.

Per Beck they are obsolete:

CN: Would you say tight ends and fullbacks are becoming obsolete in college football?

TB: Absolutely. The game's become more athletic. It's almost basketball on grass. I think when you- back in the day- if when you think of it, all the way around: concussions. There are fewer practices. The NFL only has so many days in full pads. It's almost like, "No hitting with the head, no this, no that", no late hit, throw the guy out, protecting the players.

All these things that are developing, don't get me wrong, they're good things, but it shows the game is making a change to becoming less physical. They're trying to get it to be less physical by the rules and the regulations, again, for safety because guys are bigger, stronger, faster.

So it's turned in to more basketball on grass, and as schematics, if you have four legitimate wide receivers lined up, you have to cover ‘em, so you wanna have no help? Play what we call Cover Zero and there's nobody helping?

You have seven guys in the box and four guys covering four guys. You have one guy helping? You have six guys in the box and play man to man with one guy helping or if you have two guys helping you have five guys in the box.

That's it. There's nothing else they can do. So it actually cleans up the picture, and it cleans up what the defense, how they can line up, when that happens, so the more guys you have in there (in the box), the more they can put in there, and the more they can move those guys around. The more you spread ‘em out, the more they have to spread out to cover them, and the less they can move those guys around and some of those guys can't cover that guy. You know what I mean? That's why they game is turning into that more.

Or this awesome gem.......
CornNation (Ty): When you look at your playbook, and the plays that you have as an offensive coordinator, what do you consider your bread and butter type plays?

Tim Beck: Defenses have really changed over the years in college football, just like offenses. Offenses have become fast-paced or "gimmicky" in what they do. What we call "reading", or we don't block somebody, but we basically react to what the defense does.

Because of that, teams have also become very gimmicky defensively. So, we're more predicated out of a zone concept where you have area blocking as opposed to man blocking because the men move so much and change so much that there's probably not enough time in the day to go over every single scenario.

So it's kind of like a zone defense in basketball, no matter what offense they run you've got to cover it and then as the game goes on, we make adjustments and could go to some of our man schemes and things like that once we figure out, "What are they really trying to do to us?"

Beck is soft. he plays soft, scared and slow. Figure out what they're really trying to do to us. year 4 and he still has no idea how to beat a stacked box.....Genius....
Great article here:

I hope a majority of you that want Frost as a HC/OC realize that the offense he is running isn't his. He has help implementing the offensive gameplan from Helfrich, who was the previous OC for Chip Kelly. I am sure he has a good idea on what it would take to do the job at a different school but I feel it would be a struggle.

at least he knows what offense he is trying to implement.

That's the issue. He isn't implementing anything at Oregon. They have been running the same offense since Kelly took over for Belotti and it has just been passed down. I would like to see him go somewhere else and implement an offense/gameplan that is his own before he comes here. It might be a struggle the first couple years but he has been around great coaching and has probably picked up some things.

They haven't implemented anything because there is a system at Oregon. Same with Anderson and Bielema before him at Wisconsin. (Although it remains to be seen with Anderson at Wisconsin admittedly).

They have a system, an identity and they recruit to it. God only knows what Frost's truly is (which is probably why I would balk a little at him being hired here) but I think that's why he hasn't "implemented" anything.

They haven't implemented anything because there is a system at Oregon. Same with Anderson and Bielema before him at Wisconsin. (Although it remains to be seen with Anderson at Wisconsin admittedly).

They have a system, an identity and they recruit to it. God only knows what Frost's truly is (which is probably why I would balk a little at him being hired here) but I think that's why he hasn't "implemented" anything.

i agree with both. i do not think frost is the answer as head coach or oc. i was more referencing my frustration with beck and whatever he is trying to run. same with watson and whatever he was trying to run here.

it seems as though bo wants a very specific offense, but does not hire oc's that specialize it.

Scott would be fine if you're convinced an Oregon copycat offense is the way to go.

But we had a formula that worked for 40 years. Wisconson just used that formula to beat the piss out of us . . . again. We've been flopping around like a fish out of water since we abandoned what made us great. Bring back smashmouth football.

I know we'd love to be Wisconsin right now because they looked like the old Nebraska against Nebraska, but if you look at their season the way we look at our season:

LSU: Melvin Gordon is averaging 8.8 yards a carry, but Wisconsin insists on passing the ball. McAvoy throws it 24 times for only 50 yards and gives up the game-losing interception.

Western Illinois: Melvin Gordon averages only 2.2 yards a carry against a substandard opponent and Wisconsin passes the ball 30 times.

Northwestern: Gordon has 259 yards and 9.6 yards a carry, but Wisconsin's double-headed quarterback rotation throws the ball 29 times with 4 interceptions and the Badgers lose to a team Nebraska beat handily.

Illinois: Wisconsin is only 4 of 13 on 3rd down conversions in a sluggish 10 point win against an Illinois team Nebraska beat by 31.

Maryland: Wisconsin uses a balanced run/pass attack to notch a 45 point win. Although Gordon is running well, Wisconsin keeps passing in the second half, Stave throws two TDs.

Purdue: another 50/50 run/pass split. Gordon is having a field day against a poor run defense, but Wisconsin insists on passing the ball 30 times in a 34 - 17 win.

Wisconsin is 8 - 2.

Should they fire Tim Beck?

• Fire 1

Why all the vague declarations about Frost and his relationship with the Nebraska administration? What did he do to piss everyone off? Surely it couldn't really be the the Stanford decision or the LP incident, which happened when Frost was 18 and 20 years old respectively.

So what was it? Unless there is some ongoing criminal investigation, why not just lay out the facts?

Why all the vague declarations about Frost and his relationship with the Nebraska administration? What did he do to piss everyone off? Surely it couldn't really be the the Stanford decision or the LP incident, which happened when Frost was 18 and 20 years old respectively.

So what was it? Unless there is some ongoing criminal investigation, why not just lay out the facts?

Who said there are facts? They might simply be talking to former players who just don't care for the guy.

Who said there are facts? They might simply be talking to former players who just don't care for the guy.

there are going to be former players who don't like who ever is hired. If the problems with Frost were as bad as some people make them out to be would he have been there Osborne's goodbye stuff like the video at the last home game or His farewell banquet? I think it maybe blown out of proportion.

Really enjoyed this article. I think there are several coaches out there who could have success at Nebraska, and I'm not saying Bohl is definitely 'the' guy, but his comment "Personally, I've long believed that a successful football team will be a reflection of the values of the people in the state" really resonated with me. Just my $.02, but I feel the emphasis on recruiting in college football has gotten a bit inflated relative to the importance of player development. It honestly has gotten quite ubiquitous across the college football landscape. Of course, you need to recruit well, and it is very important, but so is having a team with a scheme in a place like Nebraska that is harmonious with the talent we have in-state and regionally (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, The Dakotas, Colorado, Wyoming).

I realize we have far less roster spots available than we had in Osborne's days, but I think it is vital to utilize and develop the local talent resources we have available and to find the best schemes to augment this talent. I believe most of Wisconsin's offensive line are in-state guys, and the running back who set the FBS rushing record on us is from Kenosha. J.J. Watt is a Wisconsin guy. Kansas State has several Kansas kids on their 2 deep. These are kids that play for something greater than themselves, that something being the pride of their state/region. This passion also spills over to the kids that are not from the state/region. The team needs to remain close to the people, of the people, if you will. I'm not saying we don't need to still recruit nationally or land good recruits, I'm saying there is (and should be) more to the equation than that. I'm not sure how excited I'd be about a Nebraska team winning a national championship that was made up of 0 Nebraska guys on the 2 deep. I'm sure it would be great and all, but I have a feeling it would be a bit hollow.

I know we'd love to be Wisconsin right now because they looked like the old Nebraska against Nebraska, but if you look at their season the way we look at our season:

LSU: Melvin Gordon is averaging 8.8 yards a carry, but Wisconsin insists on passing the ball. McAvoy throws it 24 times for only 50 yards and gives up the game-losing interception.

Western Illinois: Melvin Gordon averages only 2.2 yards a carry against a substandard opponent and Wisconsin passes the ball 30 times.

Northwestern: Gordon has 259 yards and 9.6 yards a carry, but Wisconsin's double-headed quarterback rotation throws the ball 29 times with 4 interceptions and the Badgers lose to a team Nebraska beat handily.

Illinois: Wisconsin is only 4 of 13 on 3rd down conversions in a sluggish 10 point win against an Illinois team Nebraska beat by 31.

Maryland: Wisconsin uses a balanced run/pass attack to notch a 45 point win. Although Gordon is running well, Wisconsin keeps passing in the second half, Stave throws two TDs.

Purdue: another 50/50 run/pass split. Gordon is having a field day against a poor run defense, but Wisconsin insists on passing the ball 30 times in a 34 - 17 win.

Wisconsin is 8 - 2.

Should they fire Tim Beck?

Did you purposely leave out their most recent win, which was their biggest game of the year to date? Or.....

Hire Moglia for a dollar with Frost to be OC/hc in waiting and let him be groomed.

That's the only way is go for it.

I know that sounds good to you, but what happens if he turns this program into a bigger disaster than Bo?

Bo's pretty f'ing far from perfect, but he's coached in the NFL and been on a NC staff, which is more than Joe...

Then they try again?

but wouldn't you want more of a proven commodity?

Not for nothing, but it's not like we're ECU and can take a flyer on a coach who's got great buzz around him. We need to find someone who's proven he can do the job at every level he's coached at...

Hire Moglia for a dollar with Frost to be OC/hc in waiting and let him be groomed.

That's the only way is go for it.

I know that sounds good to you, but what happens if he turns this program into a bigger disaster than Bo?

Bo's pretty f'ing far from perfect, but he's coached in the NFL and been on a NC staff, which is more than Joe...

Weiss and Callahan coached in the NFL.

So have other coaches, I'm not sure what your point is?