The Sock Puppet Rides!

Would Barney be a decent head coach compared to position? I'm not advocating just wondering

Maybe. Seriously, he might be a better HC than OL position coach. But I'm pretty sure we'll ever find out. Other than in this year's bowl game, that is. So I guess it's one of those mysteries that will simply remain unanswered. :lol:

Regardless of which side one was on the Bo/No Bo argument, I think a lot of folks have agreed that is it nice to get past that and re-unite as Husker fans.

It seems this thread....or maybe not just this thread...but multiple threads building up this or that potential candidate has generated strong followings for those candidates.

Since the announcement won't come till later this week, the weekend or potentially later, are the divisions building already? Many have said if it isn't Tressel / Frost they'll be angry. If it is Richt, they'll be angry. If it isn't a big name splash, they'll be angry.

Honestly....does this new coach stand any chance with the fans?

I love this thread and visit almost every hour I'm awake, but I have not picked a horse in this race and am just anxious to see who wins. Hopefully it will be Nebraska Football that wins.

Regardless of which side one was on the Bo/No Bo argument, I think a lot of folks have agreed that is it nice to get past that and re-unite as Husker fans.

It seems this thread....or maybe not just this thread...but multiple threads building up this or that potential candidate has generated strong followings for those candidates.

Since the announcement won't come till later this week, the weekend or potentially later, are the divisions building already? Many have said if it isn't Tressel / Frost they'll be angry. If it is Richt, they'll be angry. If it isn't a big name splash, they'll be angry.

I love this thread and visit almost every hour I'm awake, but I have not picked a horse in this race and am just anxious to see who wins. Hopefully it will be Nebraska Football that wins.

I started a thread last night asking people which one name would they cross off the list. Pretty much off the bat every major candidate had a detractor. So to answer your question, no, overall there will be divisions in the fan base until the team wins at the level the fans expect. Winning will be the only thing that heals the divide at this point

I was an ardent Bo supporter when he was hired. Over time, I started to have doubts, then concerns, then began to slowly question whether he was the right guy for the job, and then ultimately had a turning point (I think it was probably the 2012 BIG CCG) where I just lost my sh#t and had trouble supporting him, feelings that were periodically strengthened (UCLA 2013, Tape Gate, Iowa 2013). Even then, I drank the Koolaid and tentatively bought in again, thinking that this season he might finally turn the corner. And I must admit that at times it did appear that he had. Then the Wisconsin game broke the dam and I realized it was never going to change.

I will give the new coach the same long leash. He will have my strong support until it becomes repeatedly clear that he is not the right person for the job, either because of a personality clash with the program or because he's not getting it done on the field, or (in Bo's case) both. I also think we should be hesitant to not prejudge someone who isn't a splash hire. Not every program is fortunate/able to acquire a proven commodity. Many have to take a chance on someone and hope they chose wisely.

• Fire 3

I've been told it's not Tressel. But these things are fluid. I was told Tressel was interested but initially SE didn't reciprocate that interest. Very possible something has changed. Take this for what you will:

Thanks for the info but unless I hear it from the sock I don't buy it.

Tressel interested in Neb and the feeling wasn't mutual? C'mon man!!

you don't have to believe me. I dont care. my wording may not have been the best I suppose. I will say that I know for a fact Tressel was interested and would be interested. There are certain people at Nebraska that are not wanting the baggage. Don't know who.

So, he's been a good enough guy to use as a consultant by the University but not good enough to coach??? Don't believe it. If he was interested then I have a hard time not thinking we weren't too. If anyone said no, it would be Tressel IMO.

Barney was actually a very successful head coach. Hastings College. 1995 and 96. Won the conference his first year and was conference coach of the year.

Previous head coaching experience? check!

Nebraska ties? check!

Ladies and gents, we have our man!

No way. If Cotton was the head coach, he'd no doubt try to shoe-horn his mediocre sons into starting positions on the team. Can't have that.