Bo is Only the Fifth Coach w/ 9+ Wins Yadda Yadda...

Landlord

Florida Atlantic: 3-8

McNeese State: 6-5

Fresno State: 5-6

Miami: 6-5

Illinois: 5-6

Northwestern: 5-6

Rutgers: 6-5

Purdue: 3-8

Iowa: 7-5

Combined W-L: 46-54

We played 3 teams all season that are currently still ranked. We lost all 3 games.

I've seen so many people say 'give him one more year'. But the problem is, we have been saying this for how many years now? And year after year, the product stays the same. We win games we should. But in those big games - penalties, turnovers, and records broken for our opponents.

Honestly, it's year 7 -- someone tell me what is Bo Pelini's signature win at Nebraska? What is the victory that makes him stand out as a coach? Maybe the 2010 Missouri game? But if you're anything but a Nebraska or Missouri fan, do you even remember that game?

I just miss national relevancy. :hmmph

• Fire 4

Those nine wins per year aren't an accident. You can't accidentally do the 1,000 things it takes to run a program like this well enough to win nine games a year, every year. If it was luck, it would happen more often. It doesn't, it isn't lucky, it's a level of skill Pelini has attained. You can no more discount Pelini's achievement of nine wins than you can discount today's win or all the comeback wins Martinez led us to. They all happened, it's in the record books, and pretending Bo didn't get those wins because he fell ass-backwards into them doesn't work.

We're closer to 11-1 than we are 7-5. Two missed catches away, in fact. Ball in the hands, both times - one dropped, one fumbled.

The problem is in the four losses, as Enhance stated. How they happen - the bumbling, confused way the players wander around, the obvious and excruciatingly unnecessary mistakes. The things that should happen but don't. The players who don't play who should - and that's been a recurring thing throughout Bo's tenure despite his "the best players will play" mantra when he started (see: FREE ERIC MARTIN!!!).

Those four losses, the inevitable four losses, simply should not happen the way they happen. We fail to compete in too many of them. That, also, we cannot take away from Bo. He owns those blowouts as much as he owns those nine wins.

• Fire 3

Those nine wins per year aren't an accident. You can't accidentally do the 1,000 things it takes to run a program like this well enough to win nine games a year, every year. If it was luck, it would happen more often. It doesn't, it isn't lucky, it's a level of skill Pelini has attained. You can no more discount Pelini's achievement of nine wins than you can discount today's win or all the comeback wins Martinez led us to. They all happened, it's in the record books, and pretending Bo didn't get those wins because he fell ass-backwards into them doesn't work.

We're closer to 11-1 than we are 7-5. Two missed catches away, in fact. Ball in the hands, both times - one dropped, one fumbled.

The problem is in the four losses, as Enhance stated. How they happen - the bumbling, confused way the players wander around, the obvious and excruciatingly unnecessary mistakes. The things that should happen but don't. The players who don't play who should - and that's been a recurring thing throughout Bo's tenure despite his "the best players will play" mantra when he started (see: FREE ERIC MARTIN!!!).

Those four losses, the inevitable four losses, simply should not happen the way they happen. We fail to compete in too many of them. That, also, we cannot take away from Bo. He owns those blowouts as much as he owns those nine wins.

By the numbers, we're closer to 11-1.

The last two paragraphs are the stuff people use to argue we're closer to 7-5.

He doesn't own those blowouts. He goes out and says the players didn't execute and didn't do what they were coached and then at the end of that rant says it's "on him."

No, you cannot swear at people on this board.

And stop quoting that kind of stuff, HuskerBoard. I move a post, come back to the thread and I gotta move three more. Then another one when I'm done with that. This happens every time.

So where do you move them to? Borgatory?

Those nine wins per year aren't an accident. You can't accidentally do the 1,000 things it takes to run a program like this well enough to win nine games a year, every year. If it was luck, it would happen more often. It doesn't, it isn't lucky, it's a level of skill Pelini has attained.

Accident and luck weren't the best terms, I had a hard time analogizing and explaining.

I guess saying it's a level of skill is technically true, but that 'level' is about a C+ grade considering all of the advantages at his disposal that are conducive to putting a good football team on the field.

Those nine wins per year aren't an accident. You can't accidentally do the 1,000 things it takes to run a program like this well enough to win nine games a year, every year. If it was luck, it would happen more often. It doesn't, it isn't lucky, it's a level of skill Pelini has attained.

Accident and luck weren't the best terms, I had a hard time analogizing and explaining.

I guess saying it's a level of skill is technically true, but that 'level' is about a C+ grade considering all of the advantages at his disposal that are conducive to putting a good football team on the field.

It's definitely fair to say it's Bo's ceiling. He's amply proven that.

And that's why this thread exists, and why #9wins feels so hollow.

Also worth noting:

"If it's so easy why haven't more other coaches done it?" Well, because the stat is a technicality. If you changed the stat to be coaches who have AVERAGED 9+ wins in their first 7 years, or if it was coaches who have had 9 or more wins in their first 7 years at a top school with top resources, just as two examples, then you would add a whole bunch of coaches to the list.

People like Mack Brown, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Bear Bryant, Urban Meyer, Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, Bob Devaney, etc. etc. etc., are far and away better coaches than Bo Pelini and nobody can argue against that with a clear conscience, and it doesn't mean anything whatsoever about their ability that they don't happen to fall into this narrow technicality statistic.

In other words, just because Bo is one of the few to do it doesn't mean that he is good.

• Fire 1

Man, I grew up hating Switzer. Been so long, I can't even remember why. Until I saw your stats! Good stuff. Amazing that Bo is in that are group and yet we look and perform how we do....

Switzer was a huge cheater. In fact, one of the running jokes when he was hired as the HC of the Dallas Cowboys was that he'd have Dallas on NCAA probation in 5 years. lol

This conversation still happens today if Bo had won the Big XII Championship in 2009 and 2010. Even if he splits those two BCS games, giving him two conference championships and a BCS win, and he goes 7-5 this year to pull his average back down to 9 wins, this chaotic stuff would still have us talking about replacing him.

That happens at every school, with every fan base. We are not immune. The tenor of the conversation would be slightly different, that's all.

If you changed the stat to be coaches who have AVERAGED 9+ wins in their first 7 years, or if it was coaches who have had 9 or more wins in their first 7 years at a top school with top resources, just as two examples, then you would add a whole bunch of coaches to the list.

....name 'em........

Mack Brown had 12 straight 9+ win seasons at Texas, but struggled at North Carolina with little resources or history.

Nick Saban averaged over 9+ at LSU and has had 10+ every season at Bama except his first, yet he had to cut his teeth getting started at Michigan State.

Bob Stoops went 7-5 in his first year but then rattled off 5 straight seasons with 12 or more wins.

Pete Carrol went 6-6 his first year but then went 7 straight seasons with over 12 wins.

Chip Kelly only coached 4 years in college but had over 10 wins and averaged about 12 wins in his first four.

Steve Spurrier had 12 straight seasons with 9+ wins at Florida but he coached at Duke a few years before that.

I don't care enough to give you any more examples but the point is amply proven that the only reason Bo is in exclusive company is because the statistic is a technicality.

Once again, guess what the difference is between Bo and all those coaches?

National Championships.

Conference Championships.

Top 5 and Top 10 finishes.

Less losses.

You name it.

Man, I grew up hating Switzer. Been so long, I can't even remember why. Until I saw your stats! Good stuff. Amazing that Bo is in that are group and yet we look and perform how we do....

Switzer was a huge cheater. In fact, one of the running jokes when he was hired as the HC of the Dallas Cowboys was that he'd have Dallas on NCAA probation in 5 years. lol

Huge Dallas fan, first they hire Jimmy Johnson and then Barry. It about killed me. Until they started winning the Super Bowl........