Bo is Only the Fifth Coach w/ 9+ Wins Yadda Yadda...

Landlord

Has there been a sign anywhere that the pattern is going to be broken?

Like you said, past events don't predict future results.

If they did, as you say they do, then we would be getting another Callahan type because we are switching out a Solich type.

Can't have it both ways.

Frank Solich has a significantly better resume than Bo Pelini does.

but either way lol at your entire post

Gene Chizik?

Maybe Nebraska needs to spend more on it's quarterback.

Just checked the numbers and ding ding ding ding ding. Chizik was at Auburn 3 years and he had 3 games lost by 30+ points, all in his last season.

I GUESS THERE IS EVIDENCE THAT BO CAN WIN IT ALL AFTER ALL.

If bo is retained, the sellout streak will end. I know two couples have already decided not to renew. Regardless of the coaching situation.

Oh, 2 couples won't renew? Damn, the sellout streak really is going to end.

I am wondering if any of the other 9 win coaches also have most of the worst defeats their team has ever had. Records in yards allowed, points allowed. Maybe we could measure that statistic as it tells a more complete story.

This one is a quality point. +1 for validity.

Very interesting data, thank you for looking this up. It further adds to my quandary though as to why this is the ceiling this far under Bo. I still think it is a pretty good run, many of those you lost dropped below 9 wins at some point, just not sure what to make of Bo's future.

I'm fairly certain that most all of us would be okay trading the occasional 7-5 season for the occasional conference championship in return.

I'm going to start by saying that I totally agree with you. Now I'm going to poke holes in your logic with realism.

It's easy to sit at a computer screen and say "I'd take a couple 7-5 seasons for a couple conference championships." Problem is, as this is going on, how the hell would you know? Let's say the coach's regular season record goes like this:

Year 1: 8-4

Year 2: 9-3

Year 3: 9-3

Year 4: 7-5

Year 5: 7-5

Year 6: 11-1 and go on to become conference champs

In this situation, I would bet that in year 4 people would begin getting a little discouraged. And I'd bet a lot of money that we'd be looking for a new coach after year 5. We live in a win-now college football landscape, and going through those situations as a fan, if you don't think that people would be calling for a coach's head in that situation, you're fooling yourself.

Do I think that Bo is the guy who can take us to the promise land?

I don't know. He ought to have 2 conference titles under his belt already but things didn't go our team's way in those games (I'm referring to the Big XII). That's the way it goes sometimes.

Do I want Bo retained?

I don't know the answer to that one either. I'd probably be totally fine with him getting fired, but if he's going to be retained, he'd damn sure better fix the offense and how his defense plays the run. Change is in order - I'd say it's almost unanimous. The only question is "How much change?"

Gene Chizik?

Just checked the numbers and ding ding ding ding ding. Chizik was at Auburn 3 years and he had 3 games lost by 30+ points, all in his last season.

Honest question. If Bo isn't fired and wins a CCG next year, do you still want to fire him?

What did the moron DO? If you you call dpe back there a stroke of coaching genius, hell how many couldn't figure that one out.

I guess I'm gave you too much credit when it comes to seeing the improvement if you think just changing out Westerkamp for Pierson-El was the only change that was made...in which case we need to reassign the term "moron" to whomever didn't watch what happened to the gunners on both of Pierson-El's punt returns today. That wouldn't be you, would it?

Its time to move forward. 9 wins is nice, but really, 9 wins is not enough to win Division titles let alone conference titles. 9 wins were a major deal years ago when you only played 11 games and a bowl game in a season. Now most teams play 12 games and a bowl game. So 10 wins per season should be the new number.

DPE is absolutely the only reason for the improved punt return numbers. You see Lockett at KSU, this could DPE and the future of Big Red nation. Only if you get a new and improved coaching staff, top to bottom.

Translates like this : Pelini came in and took talent that Callahan left here to have his best few years. The talent that is here is good to very good. The right coach hire right now I think has alot of tools and talent to really take this program back to where it should be. Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan St, Wisconsin do not have any more talent than we do. I dare to say that Minnesota, Iowa, have less talent while I would consider Wisky and Michigan St even. Even though we beat Iowa today in a very ugly game that really showed how good each coach is on both sides there. And Yes, I will say that between Ferentz and Bo, they have reached their full potential, and its not good enough to win conference titles.

Frank Solich has a significantly better resume than Bo Pelini does.

You forgot to preface that with "in my opinion".

Solich rode on Osborne's coattails, which isn't a bad gig, that's for sure. On his own, Solich lost control of his assistants on the recruiting trail and seems prone to being drugged at bars, or so he says. Solich also had some not so great games, Colorado and Miami pop into my head for some reason. But Solich almost matched Pelini's 9 game consecutive stretch, before he was given the boot by your likeminded predecessors who said that wasn't good enough...but hey, one can't argue opinions, right?

Honest question. If Bo isn't fired and wins a CCG next year, do you still want to fire him?

I think that's a pretty far-fetched hypothetical and if it were to actually happen it would depend on how it happened, but I would be glad and supportive.

Farfetched? We were 1 second from a CCG in 09. And way to not answer the question.

I think that's a pretty far-fetched hypothetical and if it were to actually happen it would depend on how it happened, but I would be glad and supportive.

Farfetched? We were 1 second from a CCG in 09. And way to not answer the question.

that was 5 years ago with callahan recruits. he has not been that close since.

that was 5 years ago with callahan recruits. he has not been that close since.

Pretty much exactly what sd'sker said. We have only gotten worse since then. I answered the question - I don't know for sure because it would be dependent on more than just a blanket "won a championship" without context, because after all, even Gene Chizik won a championship.

Gene Chizik?

Wait, was this the year that Auburn was smart enough to fire him? I didnt know teams had the audacity to do such things.

I have been on several coaching staffs in high school and middle school. The team dynamic determines success. Everyone has to be on the same page. Then a unified message is pounded into the players brain. That builds success. When all coaches are not on the same page with the head man or do not agree with him, either the players get mixed messages or the staff does not put everything they have into their jobs. In either case the product on the field suffers. Something along those lines is happening at NU.

Secondly with the TO and Devaney huskers we NEVER got blown out and halftime adjustments ensured almost 100% of the time the other team would score VERY little if we were behind. I remember losing once to Miami something like 17-7. In those days that score was a blowout to husker fans. Now teams like Wisconsin put up 56. Folks thats coaching.

Lastly, a successful program like the old Huskers stands strong on prunciples which guide actions. Things like honesty and truth. So TO would conduct brutally honest performance reviews with players and staff consistently. This led to a culture of constant improvement and excellence. Does BO consistently review those around him and offer valuable guidance? Where are the team metrics? They used to keep specific stats in team strength and agility. Is anyone still measuring thos things such that one could compare this years team to last years to look for improvement or digression? Does BO even care about science or numbers? TO sat in Devaneys office and personnally laid it on the line for Boyd Eppely. Thats how much he cared about weights and improvement. He selected his starting QB for a NC game with a percentage grading system. Callahan benched Joe Gantz for his buddy boy fron ASU with no justification other than favoritism. Some of these new coaches are hacks.