I think we're f*cked...

Ira, Guy, solid points on both...

I've never really considered myself a "Boliever", but just worried that if today came, that we wouldn't be able to hire a suitable replacement. And in my eyes, Tressel isn't that. I know he's been to NC game, and has a great record, but the fact that he was let go from his last job due to NCAA infractions doesn't worry anyone?

When fans want a championship so bad, they are willing to look past all the infractions. Just adopting the beliefs of most other teams in college football.

NO!!! NO!!! NO!! That is not what Nebraska is about. We've always ran a clean program. We don't have to reduce ourselves to their level. Tressel is not a good choice. He has too much baggage.

Like what? Lying to the NCAA to protect his players? Not to mention how great an organization the NCAA is towards its "student athletes." Tressel did what he thought was right and he did everything to protect his players. Kinda like another former coach from Ohio that we've had. Oh, and one legendary coach as well.

Why would you want Tressel to come here? He's been in two separate shady deals, and I don't think he's worth the baggage at all...

Ira, Guy, solid points on both...

I've never really considered myself a "Boliever", but just worried that if today came, that we wouldn't be able to hire a suitable replacement. And in my eyes, Tressel isn't that. I know he's been to NC game, and has a great record, but the fact that he was let go from his last job due to NCAA infractions doesn't worry anyone?

When fans want a championship so bad, they are willing to look past all the infractions. Just adopting the beliefs of most other teams in college football.

NO!!! NO!!! NO!! That is not what Nebraska is about. We've always ran a clean program. We don't have to reduce ourselves to their level. Tressel is not a good choice. He has too much baggage.

Like what? Lying to the NCAA to protect his players? Not to mention how great an organization the NCAA is towards its "student athletes." Tressel did what he thought was right and he did everything to protect his players. Kinda like another former coach from Ohio that we've had. Oh, and one legendary coach as well.

Why would you want Tressel to come here? He's been in two separate shady deals, and I don't think he's worth the baggage at all...

Who hasn't?

Also, that great NCAA organization was willing to look past Penn State, I'm willing to bet that they can look past Tressel, a man who the great Wizard supports.

If SE fired Bo without having an a candidate already handpicked would be idiocy...

Which is why it probably didn't happen that way.

Can you be completely 100% sure of that?

I can't...

You just need to trust the Ginger Assassin. That guy is cold, calculated, and there's no way he wouldn't have his ducks in a row before making a potentially jeopardizing move.

If SE fired Bo without having an a candidate already handpicked would be idiocy...

I can't...

You just need to trust the Ginger Assassin. That guy is cold, calculated, and there's no way he wouldn't have his ducks in a row before making a potentially jeopardizing move.

I really like that name. We need a Photoshop.

Who hasn't?

Also, that great NCAA organization was willing to look past Penn State, I'm willing to bet that they can look past Tressel, a man who the great Wizard supports.

So, you're willing to bet the NCAA won't hose us if we hire him?? Unless he's sh*tting us NC's every year, while running a clean program is the only way I'd hire that crooked sonofabitch...

I can't...

Wow, I'm glad you know his tactics and have contacted him on a personal level...

And I do mean, proper f*cked...

I know that plenty of people we're pissed with Bo, and I understand that. If you wanted Bo gone, you had your reasons, and that's fine.

But here's the problem, who are they going to hire next?

There isn't one realistic candidate that everyone is saying, "oh yeah, he's the guy". When the program was freed from the Clownahan debacle, it was pretty obvious the choice was Bo. He'd been here a year, was well liked and almost everyone was excited with the hiring. The kool aid was flowing freely, and after the first year, there was a glimmer of hope that our program was heading in the right direction.

Now he's gone. Personally, I think you should have let the DC and OC go. You go after a DC and OC that TO assists in the search for, and you impress upon Bo that he's got a short time frame to get things back on track, or else.

There are a bunch of guys at lower level programs whose names will be thrown out there, and I bet they sound great on paper, but will they be able to do the job? As for Tressel, why would you want him here, because he's like sleeping with a smoking hot girl, you know has a horrific STD. There's the laundry list of the unrealistic choices, which I"m not going to go over, because there's no real chance of any of them coming here.

You're only real choice, is Scott Frost? I think he's got potential, but he's not run a D-1 program yet, and that worries me.

Hence, I think we're f*cked and I have little faith in Eichorst making the right call to run this program...

keeping Bo and his marry band of losers=f'd! Beck, Barney and Pap.........the trifecta of piss poor coaching!

I can't...

Wow, I'm glad you know his tactics and have contacted him on a personal level...

Same goes for you, kimosabe.

Part of Eichorst's job as AD is the hiring, evaluation and firing of coaches. Name one other University other than Nebraska where former coaches help with coaching searches.

And let's not forget that Tom Osborne picked both No Pelini and Frank Solich as head coaches. We can see how well both of those choices worked out.

So again, why does TO need to help with a coaching search?

If I think about it, makes total sense. TO has the booster's ears, is well respected, can galvanize support from the $$ folks, and SE just fired TO's hire. If SE wants to own this decision, TO is the one guy to keep in the loop. By doing so, TO will feel the dept. is in goods hands and will be the voice of reason with the boosters. Management 101, imo.

I say all this as someone who competely agrees with OP. I have NO confidence SE will get this right and I think we are screwed. Unfortunately, I think SE is handling TO very adeptly - keep TO more involved than others but keep most critical info to himself (SE).

Except, Osborne has made two pretty bad choices for HC in the past, that doesn't speak well for any choice Osborne may make in the future.

Osborne is no longer employed by the university in any fashion so why should he get ANY say in what the University does or doesn't do?

Shawn Eichorst already owns the decision to fire Pelini and he will own the decision when he hires a new coach. If we can't trust our AD with hiring decisions then why is he on the University's payroll? Another huge part of the AD's job is dealing boosters. How about we let him do his job w/o putting undo constraints on that job? You know, like having a former employee determine who we hire now.

Someday Osborne will no longer be with us, what then? Will you be calling for his return from the grave every time a decision needs to be made in the athletic department? Osborne is retired, how about we let him stay retired and stop living in the past?

You really need to re-read my post. Big difference between being involved in the search process vs. making the decision. I do NOT think TO is making the decision or even has input on the actual coach. I highly doubt SE has discussed specific candidates with TO.

SE reaching out to TO is a way to have TO "involved" without risking TO interfering. TO's primary function is likely running interference with the booster's that matter. If SE is politically astute, that is a great use of TO. SE reaching out to TO at worst neutralizes TO interfering, at best gets TO voicing his support for the process to the boosters that matter. Neither one is a bad outcome. If SE did NOT reach out to TO, I think the process would go poorly. Like it or not, TO carries a lot of weight with the big boosters and his opinion counts. SE taking advantage of that is simply good leadership.

EDIT: Not an SE, fan but you got me acting like he's the juice... If he gets this hire right, I'll be in SE's corner... sigh...

• Fire 1

I can't...

No worries Walks, he's probably got Charlie Weiss as a fallback hire for a million a year and a Village Inn Pie of the Month Club membership.

We might just be the Michigan of the Big 10 West...... a proud program, who really wants to live in the past and has revolving door of coaches. Rich-Rod wasn't winning NC's so he is gone........yes, taking teams into Championship games, while Michigan is in a pile of crap for the past few years and apparently choosing to stay there.

Just be careful for what you wish for. SE better knock it out of the freaking park or get extremely lucky.......

It better be bigger than that dude from CSU....come on man...how is that going to be a splash hire for the Huskers?!? It would be really interesting to hear from the coaches around the conference/P5 schools. I know Urban said he was pretty shocked...he also said that about Solich.

Its about fit, not splash. Tim Miles was as far from a "splash hire" as you get, that worked out well. I could come up with a list of College football coaches as well that were not well received on hire, but long term went well.

Never, ever, look to conference foes to check on the status of your coach They want someone in place that they can beat regularly. Meyer would love Hoke to stay on at Mich too.

If you remember, there was a lot of sentiment from the coaching convention last year that most coaches were surprised he was not fired last year. If a coach at OSU ended up with the record details that Pelini had, he would get canned too.

I get it man...I am just very concerned about who SE is going to bring in. I have no trust in him. I am afraid he will bring in some guy like Frost that is not ready to be a head coach and we will continue to fall of of the radar! I would love to have him here as an OC, but not ready for HC, IMO.

Agree

And I do mean, proper f*cked...

I know that plenty of people we're pissed with Bo, and I understand that. If you wanted Bo gone, you had your reasons, and that's fine.

But here's the problem, who are they going to hire next?

There isn't one realistic candidate that everyone is saying, "oh yeah, he's the guy". When the program was freed from the Clownahan debacle, it was pretty obvious the choice was Bo. He'd been here a year, was well liked and almost everyone was excited with the hiring. The kool aid was flowing freely, and after the first year, there was a glimmer of hope that our program was heading in the right direction.

Now he's gone. Personally, I think you should have let the DC and OC go. You go after a DC and OC that TO assists in the search for, and you impress upon Bo that he's got a short time frame to get things back on track, or else.

There are a bunch of guys at lower level programs whose names will be thrown out there, and I bet they sound great on paper, but will they be able to do the job? As for Tressel, why would you want him here, because he's like sleeping with a smoking hot girl, you know has a horrific STD. There's the laundry list of the unrealistic choices, which I"m not going to go over, because there's no real chance of any of them coming here.

You're only real choice, is Scott Frost? I think he's got potential, but he's not run a D-1 program yet, and that worries me.

Hence, I think we're f*cked and I have little faith in Eichorst making the right call to run this program...

I'm a bit late to weigh in here, but FWIW I one of the very small minority of people on HB who agree with you completely. Sure there are things I don't like about Pelini. He's a hot head. He can't make real time defensive adjustments during a game. Not the greatest recruiter. Treats fans and media like they're a pain in the ass. But despite his faults he runs a clean program is is known for his integrity. I think the better path would have been to work on Bo's faults, hire a real DC with some backbone, and keep striving to improve the program.

It's almost like no one here remembers what a painful clusterf#@k last two coaching searches were. Both times they set us back a couple of years, and we weren't much better off after the dust settled. If Eichorst has a guy lined up and waiting in the wings, then great. Let's get him in within the next couple of days and go about healing this place. A splash hire within the next few days could possibly prevent the loss of our current recruiting class, and minimize the impact of changing regimes. But that's what I thought should happen the last two times. And both times we failed miserably.

I guess we'll find out within the next couple days just how f'd we really are at this point. If Eichorts make a good hire this week, maybe this whole thing will turn out okay. If not, we're likely to follow the path of Michigan in recent years and be a once proud program destined to be in the shitter for the foreseeable future. Time will tell. /sigh/

X2