I think we're f*cked...

Ira, Guy, solid points on both...

I've never really considered myself a "Boliever", but just worried that if today came, that we wouldn't be able to hire a suitable replacement. And in my eyes, Tressel isn't that. I know he's been to NC game, and has a great record, but the fact that he was let go from his last job due to NCAA infractions doesn't worry anyone?

Someone please clarify two things for me, please. I am truly asking solely for information purposes. Not to troll.

#1 can Tressel even coach next year? Doesn't he have a suspension to finish serving?

#2 Do we really want Tressel. Wasn't he fired from two jobs for being shady with NCAA infractions?

I think the chances are good that we could get the show cause, but he'd probably have to serve out his suspension. He was only fired from OSU and has since become the president of Youngstown State University. I think that latter is the biggest reason why people are willing to give him a chance.

Someone please clarify two things for me, please. I am truly asking solely for information purposes. Not to troll.

#1 can Tressel even coach next year? Doesn't he have a suspension to finish serving?

#2 Do we really want Tressel. Wasn't he fired from two jobs for being shady with NCAA infractions?

1 - Show Cause is not a technical suspension. A university who wants to hire him must 'show cause' why they should not be subject to the remaining penalties. Which in this case is a 5 game suspension to open his next season, and a post season ban of same said season. However, if a University can make a persuasive argument, the penalties can be waived. There are currently no cases of them being waived, but it is also a fairly rare penalty.

2 - He was only fired from OSU. He left Youngstown State before investigations really got going. I guess its a question of how to weight winning vs belief that he would not have a recurrence of past behavior. His penalty largely comes from lying to the NCAA in writing, not so much on what actually happened.

Thank you Walks......... I have been telling everyone this all friggin day !!!!!! Shawn Eichorst is nothing but a Pearlman puppet and just sign off on his job. Until Pearlman is gone, the entire football program is screwed...... this was what Suh was hinting at earlier in the day. Pearlman is a pu$$y, who was soooo jealous of Coach Osborne that he can't see straight.

Now with TO completely out of the way for a year now, he gets to flex his worthless piece of crap muscle....... Congrats SE, might want to start building your resume, cause unless you hit a home run (which means someone who apparently has to win more than anyone else in the country), you are going down with the next guy.

I 100% agree with Walks......pooch screwed....... and we are the pooch !!!!!!

He might be packing his bags on his own terms if Barry Alvarez retires anytime soon. He says all the right things in the press conference, makes the splash hire with Tressel, and that helps him land his dream job in Wisconsin before things have a chance to fail.

The NCAA is a joke anyways. Im sure Tressel learned his lesson and won't be stupid enough to do it again as long as the NCAA is around. Which might not be much longer.

Not to mention the attention they would be paying to any program that does actually hire him.

I've never really considered myself a "Boliever", but just worried that if today came, that we wouldn't be able to hire a suitable replacement. And in my eyes, Tressel isn't that. I know he's been to NC game, and has a great record, but the fact that he was let go from his last job due to NCAA infractions doesn't worry anyone?

I'm more worried about not getting him, personally. It would be a grand slam hire.

A lot of other names being thrown around also wouldn't be half bad. If we get to Scott Frost, then I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I'm more worried about not getting him, personally. It would be a grand slam hire.

A lot of other names being thrown around also wouldn't be half bad. If we get to Scott Frost, then I think we're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

I just don't share your optimism.

Frost is a few years away from being a HC, but as for scraping the bottom of the barrel, there are a ton of guys that I'd take Frost over...

I would love Tressel but I'm extremely nervous about it. Plus his history really doesn't mesh with what Eichorst said in his presser.

Frost is a gamble yes, but really any hire is, I don't think he's bottom of the barrel though. The guy is going to be successful where ever he goes, he's been learning from the best for a couple of decades now. Plus he seems to have a subtle it factor about him.

• Fire 2

I would love Tressel but I'm extremely nervous about it. Plus his history really doesn't mesh with what Eichorst said in his presser.

Frost is a gamble yes, but really any hire is, I don't think he's bottom of the barrel though. The guy is going to be successful where ever he goes, he's been learning from the best for a couple of decades now. Plus he seems to have a subtle it factor about him.

I'd take Frost before someone like Paul Johnson or Troy Calhoun
  • Fire 1

On the money, but then again, it's just about what I said...heh

• Fire 1

On the money, but then again, it's just about what I said...heh

Great minds and all... or socks.

• Fire 1

In the 4 years since Tressel was hit with sanctions, the NCAA has come down easier on other schools for far worse infractions. They took PSU off the non-bowl list this year and haven't followed up on pretty serious illegal payments to players allegations. They are now more worried about being viable in the age of playoff football and keeping everyone happy. If that happened now (tattoogate) they would hardly batt an eye.