I think we're f*cked...

And I do mean, proper f*cked...

I know that plenty of people we're pissed with Bo, and I understand that. If you wanted Bo gone, you had your reasons, and that's fine.

But here's the problem, who are they going to hire next?

There isn't one realistic candidate that everyone is saying, "oh yeah, he's the guy". When the program was freed from the Clownahan debacle, it was pretty obvious the choice was Bo. He'd been here a year, was well liked and almost everyone was excited with the hiring. The kool aid was flowing freely, and after the first year, there was a glimmer of hope that our program was heading in the right direction.

Now he's gone. Personally, I think you should have let the DC and OC go. You go after a DC and OC that TO assists in the search for, and you impress upon Bo that he's got a short time frame to get things back on track, or else.

There are a bunch of guys at lower level programs whose names will be thrown out there, and I bet they sound great on paper, but will they be able to do the job? As for Tressel, why would you want him here, because he's like sleeping with a smoking hot girl, you know has a horrific STD. There's the laundry list of the unrealistic choices, which I"m not going to go over, because there's no real chance of any of them coming here.

You're only real choice, is Scott Frost? I think he's got potential, but he's not run a D-1 program yet, and that worries me.

Hence, I think we're f*cked and I have little faith in Eichorst making the right call to run this program...

I'm a bit late to weigh in here, but FWIW I one of the very small minority of people on HB who agree with you completely. Sure there are things I don't like about Pelini. He's a hot head. He can't make real time defensive adjustments during a game. Not the greatest recruiter. Treats fans and media like they're a pain in the ass. But despite his faults he runs a clean program is is known for his integrity. I think the better path would have been to work on Bo's faults, hire a real DC with some backbone, and keep striving to improve the program.

It's almost like no one here remembers what a painful clusterf#@k last two coaching searches were. Both times they set us back a couple of years, and we weren't much better off after the dust settled. If Eichorst has a guy lined up and waiting in the wings, then great. Let's get him in within the next couple of days and go about healing this place. A splash hire within the next few days could possibly prevent the loss of our current recruiting class, and minimize the impact of changing regimes. But that's what I thought should happen the last two times. And both times we failed miserably.

I guess we'll find out within the next couple days just how f'd we really are at this point. If Eichorts make a good hire this week, maybe this whole thing will turn out okay. If not, we're likely to follow the path of Michigan in recent years and be a once proud program destined to be in the shitter for the foreseeable future. Time will tell. /sigh/

• Fire 2

Bo was never going to accept even constructive help. A real D coordinator would have want to make real decisions and the first time he made the wrong one Bo would have reamed him up one side a down the other.....probably resulting in a fight on the sidelines. Eichorst even said he would not interfere in a coaches choice for assts. Bo was going to stay in the same D set that only works with NFL quality athletes. A D that other good coaches figured out 3 years ago. There was a lot about Bo I liked but his stubbornness did him in and proved him wrong.

• Fire 4

I know that plenty of people we're pissed with Bo, and I understand that. If you wanted Bo gone, you had your reasons, and that's fine.

There isn't one realistic candidate that everyone is saying, "oh yeah, he's the guy". When the program was freed from the Clownahan debacle, it was pretty obvious the choice was Bo. He'd been here a year, was well liked and almost everyone was excited with the hiring. The kool aid was flowing freely, and after the first year, there was a glimmer of hope that our program was heading in the right direction.

Now he's gone. Personally, I think you should have let the DC and OC go. You go after a DC and OC that TO assists in the search for, and you impress upon Bo that he's got a short time frame to get things back on track, or else.

There are a bunch of guys at lower level programs whose names will be thrown out there, and I bet they sound great on paper, but will they be able to do the job? As for Tressel, why would you want him here, because he's like sleeping with a smoking hot girl, you know has a horrific STD. There's the laundry list of the unrealistic choices, which I"m not going to go over, because there's no real chance of any of them coming here.

You're only real choice, is Scott Frost? I think he's got potential, but he's not run a D-1 program yet, and that worries me.

Hence, I think we're f*cked and I have little faith in Eichorst making the right call to run this program...

I'm a bit late to weigh in here, but FWIW I one of the very small minority of people on HB who agree with you completely. Sure there are things I don't like about Pelini. He's a hot head. He can't make real time defensive adjustments during a game. Not the greatest recruiter. Treats fans and media like they're a pain in the ass. But despite his faults he runs a clean program is is known for his integrity. I think the better path would have been to work on Bo's faults, hire a real DC with some backbone, and keep striving to improve the program.

It's almost like no one here remembers what a painful clusterf#@k last two coaching searches were. Both times they set us back a couple of years, and we weren't much better off after the dust settled. If Eichorst has a guy lined up and waiting in the wings, then great. Let's get him in within the next couple of days and go about healing this place. A splash hire within the next few days could possibly prevent the loss of our current recruiting class, and minimize the impact of changing regimes. But that's what I thought should happen the last two times. And both times we failed miserably.

I guess we'll find out within the next couple days just how f'd we really are at this point. If Eichorts make a good hire this week, maybe this whole thing will turn out okay. If not, we're likely to follow the path of Michigan in recent years and be a once proud program destined to be in the shitter for the foreseeable future. Time will tell. /sigh/

I agree with both of you.

I have to ask, why in the world does Tom Osborne need to assist in a coaching search of any kind?

This is the Athletic Directors job.

With the resources Nebraska has, and the division its in, just about any coach could be winning 9 games. I don't think you need to make a splash per se, but you need a coach who understands it's business and knows when to cut guys loose, even if they are friends. Somebody who can focus on the macro and put the right people on the bus and get the wrong ones off.

Honestly. No coach is going to look at our schedule and think, "Oh my gosh golly! They fired a nine win coach!" A team would have to be in the bottom half of the rankings to not get 9 wins. I think McNeese State would have done okay in our division this year.

Tressel, oh you mean the dude who was at home watching Solich coach in a national championship?

No, the guy who beat the team that pulled a train on Solich the following year.

You mean previous?

I mean the following year Tressel beat the team that Solich couldn't the previous year.

So, I mean both. So there.

Tressel, oh you mean the dude who was at home watching Solich coach in a national championship?

No, the guy who beat the team that pulled a train on Solich the following year.

You mean previous?
I mean the following year Tressel beat the team that Solich couldn't the previous year.

So, I mean both. So there.

Miami '02 was again studly, but that '01 was in a class of their own, like NU '95.

I have to ask, why in the world does Tom Osborne need to assist in a coaching search of any kind?

This is the Athletic Directors job.

So you'd take Eichorst at his word, when TO's probably forgotten more about football than SE can remember...

• Fire 1