Why I don't like the idea of Scott Frost...

At the same time it would also be a shame if we pass on Frost now, only to find out that he turned out to be a great upstart somewhere else... and then the window is closed to get him back here!

i would really love to snatch somebody who's young, with lots of potential that would trend towards a traditional nebraska brand of football..

I have to echo the thoughts of many here in saying Scott Frost, despite his ties to Nebraska and potential as a head coach in the future, should not be Nebraska's next head coach.

The biggest reason is because we've already been down that road. We hired a defensive coordinator with a pretty darn good resume. In fact, Pelini's resume as a DC is better than Frost's as an OC. It was a hire made knowing there would be growing pains and mistakes. Do we really want to give another coordinator, with no previous head coaching experience, a chance to run what is in my opinion one of the Top 15-to-20 best jobs in college football? I don't want to sit here for another four-to-seven years waiting for someone with potential to figure it out. Again, that road has been traveled - Nebraska is a destination job, not a training ground.

We're far better off looking for either a very experienced head coach (for argument's sake, like a Tressel) or a head coach that has done some good things at another university (like a Joe Moglia or a Willie Fritz).

Here is a brief write up on Willie Fritz from Lee Barfknecht:

Nebraska hit a long ball in basketball by hiring Miles, a guy who succeeded from the lowest level of college coaching on up. Fritz, 54, is in his first season at Georgia Southern. The FBS newcomer won the Sun Belt Conference title.

On his way to that school, Fritz won two national titles at Blinn (Texas) Junior College, took Central Missouri State to its first Division II playoff game in 32 years and coached in back-to-back FCS national title games at Sam Houston State. Fritz is from suburban Kansas City and played at Pittsburg State in Kansas.

One interesting coincidence: The motto Fritz puts on his team’s helmet is the same one Miles uses: GATA (get after their asses).

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-so-who-will-the-huskers-hire-energy-a-must/article_58209502-78e6-11e4-9a31-83bb017ec757.html

We all respect what Scott Frost did and his potential as a head coach, but I think a lot of us are ready to bank on more than that.

Multiple reasons I would not want Frost. You did touch on a very important one. He just does not have enough experience with "Head Coach", or as I call em' CEO as their position is much different than "coaching". Bo was finally coming to realize the importance of being a CEO, he just had a few assistants that probably needed to go. All in all, His personality does not mesh real well with being the Head Coach at a major university.

wish him good luck

Probably?? A few??? Let me think... OC, needs to go. DC, needs to go. OLC, needs to go. DLC, needs to go. Basically every coach other than Ron Brown can pack their bags. The following 5 coaches are the S&C coaches responsible for the fat linemen that play for Nebraska on both sides of the ball. Mike Arthur, James Dobson, Tyler Clarke, Willie Jones, and Taylor Porter. Arthur is the Director of S&C. Hope this qualifies as a few.

T_O_B

• Fire 1

At the same time it would also be a shame if we pass on Frost now, only to find out that he turned out to be a great upstart somewhere else... and then the window is closed to get him back here!

i would really love to snatch somebody who's young, with lots of potential that would trend towards a traditional nebraska brand of football..

My goodness you just described:

Paul Johnson

Sport(s) Football Current position Title Head coach Team Georgia Tech Conference ACC Record 57–34 (.626) Biographical details Born (1957-08-20) August 20, 1957 (age 57)

Newland, North Carolina Coaching career (HC unless noted) 1981–1982

1983–1984

1985–1986

1987–1994

1995–1996

1997–2001

2002–2007

2008–present Lees–McRae (OC)

Georgia Southern (DL)

Georgia Southern (OC)

Hawaii (OC)

Navy (OC)

Georgia Southern

Navy

Georgia Tech Head coaching record Overall 164–73 (.692) Bowls 3–6 Tournaments 14–3 (I-AA playoffs) Statistics

College Football Data Warehouse Accomplishments and honors Championships

2 Division I-AA (1999–2000)

5 SoCon (1997–2001)

1 ACC (2009)

4 ACC Coastal Division (2008, 2009, 2012, 2014) Awards

Eddie Robinson Award (1998)

2x AFCA Division I-AA Coach of the Year (1999–2000)

Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year Award (2004)

2x SoCon Coach of the Year (1997–1998)

Sounds like a real good fit for Nebraska. Not short on experience. Young enough so that he could be at Nebraska for 20 years. Has moved several times but still looks to be stable rather than a coach that moves whenever a new brass ring presents itself. Tressel is still a bit tainted from his days at OSU. Kiffin is a bit of a flake. Frost is an unknown commodity as a HC. I would almost bet SE will end up hiring someone we don't even discuss here but still, with the regular season over speculating about who the next HC will be is about all we've got t do.

T_O_B

Bob Stoops only had 10 years coaching experience before getting hired at Oklahoma. Worked out okay for them.

Chip Kelly was only a D1 coordinator for one year before he got promoted for the Oregon gig.

Gary Patterson is another good example of a great coordinator to head coach hire.

Mark Richt has done a fine job as a quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator that got hired to a head position.

Chris Petersen has one of the best winning percentages ever and was an OC before the Boise job.

There are so many more examples like this. Previous head coaching experience is not an indicator of future success, just like lack of experience isn't an indicator of failure. And if you're going to hire a coordinator, how valuable is a few more years? Does 9 years suddenly make them a great hire when 7 doesn't?

As someone else said, it would be a shame if we pass on him thinking that a few more years will suddenly turn him into a great hire, only to have someone else take a chance on him and for him to prove them right and absolutely kill it.

• Fire 1

Nobody is intelligently saying that a coordinator can't do it. And nobody is saying that previous head coaching experience is an absolute indicator of future success.

But when you talk about the odds of something happening, it drastically changes the conversation. It's pretty ridiculous to think otherwise.

• Fire 1

Paul Johnson is 57-years old. How does that make him "young enough so that he could be at Nebraska for 20 years"? I would be concerned about his age within 5-10 years from now.

There are a lot of coaches out there who coach well into their 70ies. I'm 68 and still work every day and plan to keep it up. Don't be so short sighted.

PJ would be perfect for us and no where near the risk we would be taking with a 20/30 something OC with zero HC experience.

T_O_B

Paul Johnson is 57-years old. How does that make him "young enough so that he could be at Nebraska for 20 years"? I would be concerned about his age within 5-10 years from now.

There are a lot of coaches out there who coach well into their 70ies. I'm 68 and still work every day and plan to keep it up. Don't be so short sighted.

PJ would be perfect for us and no where near the risk we would be taking with a 20/30 something OC with zero HC experience.

T_O_B

You're old.

• Fire 2

T_O_B

I guess you're right. Senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose. Don't you go dying on me.

• Fire 1