Big 10 Reaction to Bo Firing

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this as well but I ventured to other Big 10 schools message boards yesterday to gauge their reaction to SE's decision. Found it pretty interesting to see what other fan bases had to say from within the conference that we play annually or on a somewhat regular schedule, was pretty comical to see some of the feedback and different view points.

From the Michigan fans who expressed a sense of jealousy and animosity towards their own AD and higher ups who haven't had the balls to pull what we did in regards to Hoke.

Iowa fans who seemed split as to whether SE was taking a shot at Iowa with his statement about the Friday game and gauging where we stood among them and other championship level programs, or as SE would say, progrums. Yet the general consensus on the Hawkeye board was very similar to Michigan where they wish they could just do the same with their current situation and start fresh with a new staff.

Many Badger fans expressed they were not happy with the decision on the sole basis that they could no longer expect an annual Bo meltdown and subsequent Badger beat-down of Big Red (depending who we get to take his place). Also acknowledged that depending on who the next coach is, it could/will represent a huge hurdle for them moving forward as we're seen as really the only consistent roadblock in terms of potential for UW to reach the title game consistently.

Didn't really go to any other team's boards... Briefly saw Ohio St's reaction and they seem to dismiss the idea that we have any shot of landing Tressel.

Overall, it was very rewarding to see other fans have a sense of admiration for our fan base/school's drive for greatness and success and not just settling for mediocrity..... Exciting times to say the least for Husker Nation, here's to hoping that we follow through on this coaching change correctly and get back to where we should be.

GBR

• Fire 3

here's a michigan fan on reddit:

If we went 9-3 every year losing to notre dame, mich state, and osu our coach would be in the hot seat after year 2 and gone after year 4. Honestly 7 years of 10 win seasons but 7 losses to osu would have tons of michigan fans calling for change. While Nebraska doesn't have big rivalries established, it's difficult to create them when you never beat good teams. Their AD wants to see some big seasons sprinkled in there, but doesn't think Bo could make it happen. A lot of programs could be complacent with consistent 9-3 seasons, but michigan certainly isn't one of them and Nebraska doesnt want to be either.

i really think the B1G should be happy with this move. we want to compete at a higher level. they need teams to strive for that.
  • Fire 1

If we went 9-3 every year losing to notre dame, mich state, and osu our coach would be in the hot seat after year 2 and gone after year 4. Honestly 7 years of 10 win seasons but 7 losses to osu would have tons of michigan fans calling for change. While Nebraska doesn't have big rivalries established, it's difficult to create them when you never beat good teams. Their AD wants to see some big seasons sprinkled in there, but doesn't think Bo could make it happen. A lot of programs could be complacent with consistent 9-3 seasons, but michigan certainly isn't one of them and Nebraska doesnt want to be either.

i really think the B1G should be happy with this move. we want to compete at a higher level. they need teams to strive for that.

At least somebody out there gets it, albeit a Michigan fan.

Certainly odd coming from a fan of the University that still employs Brady Hoke. He must have forgot we beat every team in the Big Ten since we have been here (Indiana). He didn't win all the big ones, we get it. No need to stretch it.

These guys get it. Why don't so many of our fans?

I would say the national media has been a lot more pleasant towards Nebraska this time around than they were when Solich was fired. It's more than likely because they saw Bo as an Ahole more than anything else. From what little I saw of the 15' 16' recruits tweets, it seems most are still committed until they see and hear from the new coaching staff.

I keep hearing the pundits say "Nebraska can't go back to the 90's". That is certainly not my expectation. I just don't like to get blown out and have same mistakes over and over again. Plus, you throw in Bo's sideline demeanor, it makes it easier.

But to say we are trying to get back to the 90's I think is a little off base. I think there is a misconception out there about the expectations of Nebraska's fan base.

• Fire 2

I keep hearing the pundits say "Nebraska can't go back to the 90's". That is certainly not my expectation. I just don't like to get blown out and have same mistakes over and over again. Plus, you throw in Bo's sideline demeanor, it makes it easier.

But to say we are trying to get back to the 90's I think is a little off base. I think there is a misconception out there about the expectations of Nebraska's fan base.

This was a topic referenced frequently on the other Big 10 boards as well. The viewpoint went both ways, one of which was that we are considered delusional to think we're going to achieve that success again, the flip side being that the "delusion" of success and expectations is something to be admired as we aren't just settling for average seasonal results.

Outside of Ohio State, the idea and goal of being an annual National title contender is foreign to many of the teams we play, but they seem to understand our desire to get back to this level given our history that most can't understand first hand... while the dominance of the 90's is a lofty goal and near impossible to attain in today's game, it feels damn good waking up knowing we're getting a fresh start and making an attempt to get back to that "winning" mindset.

• Fire 1

Great post and very informative (love how the Badger fans are worried!).

I too am in the same place as many Husker fans where we want to be competing for the league title every year, getting in to at least a selection committee bowl game and occasionally in the playoff. We were never going to get there with Bo. I've been feeling very positive since his firing, just hope now SE makes a good sound decision on the next HC.

I don't have any specific quotes but I've read and heard from some OSU fans that say things that are very similar to what sd'sker posted above. The basic message is that they're happy we're not accepting mediocrity. It's good for the conference if we're a respected team.

Most of the media outlets are saying the same thing. They are saying what we did was an early Christmas present to Delaney and the B1G by not accepting mediocrity which is what most see coming out of the B1G right now. People can believe what they wish, but the B1G is seen by a lot of media outlets as the worst power 5 conference. With Ohio State's QB done for the season, it's going to take an absolute behind the shed beating of Wisconsin for Ohio State to crawl into the playoff picture.

The schools' fans that have most come to our defense, I've noticed, on r/cfb as well, are schools like Bama, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Ohio State. You know, powerhouses that understand how important high expectations are.

The schools' fans that haven't? Iowa State, Mizzou, those types.

I hate coming across as arrogant, but a huge part of it is perception. If your school didn't experience something like we did from 1962 to 2001, you see 9-3 as fantastic. But if you are a school that has been one of the great blue-bloods like Nebraska is/was, you see what Nebraska's doing and think, "Yep, we'd do the same."

Some say it's risky. Hell yes it's risky. Who ever achieved greatness without taking risks?

• Fire 4

The schools' fans that have most come to our defense, I've noticed, on r/cfb as well, are schools like Bama, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Ohio State. You know, powerhouses that understand how important high expectations are.

The schools' fans that haven't? Iowa State, Mizzou, those types.

I hate coming across as arrogant, but a huge part of it is perception. If your school didn't experience something like we did from 1962 to 2001, you see 9-3 as fantastic. But if you are a school that has been one of the great blue-bloods like Nebraska is/was, you see what Nebraska's doing and think, "Yep, we'd do the same."

Some say it's risky. Hell yes it's risky. Who ever achieved greatness without taking risks?

I think you see this within our own fan base. Older fans were Bo-leavers. Younger fans who weren't around for the glory days were the Bo-lievers.

• Fire 2