"Resources are not the question here at Nebraska"

JTrain

Eichorst was clear that we would be willing to spend whatever it took to get the best possible staff in place, yet we just hired a guy near the bottom of the Power 5 pay scale. Riley makes $1.5 million. It's probably safe to say he would be happy with $2.5 million, leaving huge funds available to hire assistants.

This really makes me wonder what Eichorst had in mind, and how much (if at all) he discussed with Riley regarding the assistants. If Eichorst is planning the usual route--letting Riley hire whoever he wants, without giving input--then he could easily hire most of his Oregon State staff, and we wouldn't have to spend anywhere near what we paid the last staff. If this is the case, Eichorst's resources quote doesn't really make sense.

So what's going on? Does Eichorst have a master plan regarding at least one of the assistant hires, or is he really just handing Riley a stack of cash and letting him figure it out in the next couple weeks? Riley's a good coach, but I don't know how great he is at hiring, and he will potentially be competing with Florida and Michigan. Apparently neither Frost nor Orgeron have even been contacted.

I"d guess your 2.5 million mark is pretty close and it does allow for a substantial pot for assistants.

Plus his O-State buyout is only 1/2 million.

Nothing wrong IF you can get who you want without having to bust the bank.

Doesn't make us penurious, just pragmatic.

I think we're so brainwashed by Bo's hiring of assistants that some of us are expecting the same from Riley. The guy has connections, and is well liked from just about everyone he's come across. Heck even Chip Kelly gave him a ride in his private jet. I have no doubt that Riley will hire a dynomite staff. I would be shocked if he simply brought his Oregon St staff over. It was hard to convince top notch assistants to come to Corvallis, now that he's in Lincoln he'll bring in the names.

Coach O was one of the highest paid assistants in college football. He is one of the best recruiters out there and a good DC candidate. He has expressed interest in the position. Let's see if SE is going to stand by his statements or is going to try to play moneyball.

I also want to see him open up the checkbook for Riley's recruiting. By all accounts, he is a "creative recruiter" and did well getting kids to Corvallis. Give him every resource possible, don't hamstring him.

Reports are he and Frost are meeting this weekend, and Riley isn't bringing but 2-3 of his staff from OSU, including what many consider the BEST WR coach in college. I think the checkbook will be open for assistants. I am hoping he gets Frost, keeps Warren and Garrison, adds Oregeron. We will have some hellagood recruiters, and from what I've seen solid coaches/teachers as well.

Only a % of the "resources" have been spent thus far. If he ends up doing it right, they were be plenty more invested.

What I don't get w/ this dislike for Riley is that you all would have been jumping up and down with McElwain. Riley starts at $2.7million/year. McElwain would have come in as just as big of a wild card closer to $5million when you take his huge buyout and distribute it over the 5 years. You know what an extra $2.3 million per year gets you? One HELL of a coaching staff to go with Riley. Recruiting coordinators, private jets, scouts, etc. It gets you a boatload more than it would have gotten you dumping everything on the HC. And those are the differences that will get Nebraska to the top.

Reports are he and Frost are meeting this weekend, and Riley isn't bringing but 2-3 of his staff from OSU, including what many consider the BEST WR coach in college. I think the checkbook will be open for assistants. I am hoping he gets Frost, keeps Warren and Garrison, adds Oregeron. We will have some hellagood recruiters, and from what I've seen solid coaches/teachers as well.

Link to these reports?

What about Ron Brown?

To convince guys like Stanley Morgan I hope they pump up brandin cooks, who their wr coach had last year. And hopefully chad Johnson and tj housmanzadah

Link to these reports?

I'm not sure it's made it to any sort of linkable place. Reports is the wrong word, it was "reported" to me, that said he's meeting with Frost this weekend. I know based on the interview with Frost's dad, he's open to the idea. And in an article discussing the 'rivalry' between Oregon and State, Frost stated it's more the fans, some of his best friends coach on the other sideline.