The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

Does Riley get to name a new S&C coach? If so, who do you want?

My choices would be one of these

Scott Cochran

Shannon Turley

Tommy Moffitt

Brian Bott

Karl Welzein. He gets free reign over the training table too.

just load the table with loco tacos, but you have to do 5 'shups for every one you eat. they'll get swell'd in no time.

I wasn't in favor of firing Pelini - still not sure about it. I dislike giving up a sure thing for the greener side of the hill. I wish Bo the best, and frankly think he'll do just fine. He's a good coach.

I also think we'll be fine with Mike Riley. Is he the guy to end our championship drought? I'm dubious - but I am pretty confident that he won't drive us into the ditch. He kept a historically horrendous (seriously OSU pre-Riley = KSU pre-Snyder, this can't be repeated enough) more or less above water for a decade and a half. That's a damned good coaching job, and I'd be stunned if he's a disaster at Nebraska, where there are 5-6 wins built into the schedule pretty much no matter what. Hopefully his overachievement at Oregon State transfers to Lincoln and turns 8-9 win regular seasons into 10-11 win ones.

I see Riley's doubled his Twitter followers overnight. Welcome to the madhouse coach. Good luck.

I've seen the bold come up a lot recently. I just don't understand it...

What exactly are we giving up?

What is the sure thing? Scraping by mediocre opponents, and getting blown out on national tv? Playing in second rate bowl games?

Where's the ambition at? I'd rather swing and miss trying to hit a home run, then settle for a bunt.

• Fire 3

What is the sure thing? Scraping by mediocre opponents, and getting blown out on national tv? Playing in second rate bowl games?

Where's the ambition at? I'd rather swing and miss trying to hit a home run, then settle for a bunt.

Well I definitely do not agree with the home run or strike out logic. Tom Osborne was 20 years of hitting doubles before he finally hit it big. I saw the 9.5 wins a season Pelini brought to the table as a good staging ground while he tried to figure out how to break through. The lack of breakthrough was frustrating and the blowouts were not good, but I get pretty exasperated when people dismiss the 9 win thing as some sort of birthright that even Elmer Fudd couldn't screw up. If Notre Dame and Michigan can get sucked into the hire/fire cycle for a decade plus, we sure as hell can too.

• Fire 1

I wasn't in favor of firing Pelini - still not sure about it. I dislike giving up a sure thing for the greener side of the hill. I wish Bo the best, and frankly think he'll do just fine. He's a good coach.

I also think we'll be fine with Mike Riley. Is he the guy to end our championship drought? I'm dubious - but I am pretty confident that he won't drive us into the ditch. He kept a historically horrendous (seriously OSU pre-Riley = KSU pre-Snyder, this can't be repeated enough) more or less above water for a decade and a half. That's a damned good coaching job, and I'd be stunned if he's a disaster at Nebraska, where there are 5-6 wins built into the schedule pretty much no matter what. Hopefully his overachievement at Oregon State transfers to Lincoln and turns 8-9 win regular seasons into 10-11 win ones.

I see Riley's doubled his Twitter followers overnight. Welcome to the madhouse coach. Good luck.

Guys, he's gone. The debate is over.

Exactly how I feel. I'd rather try to get somewhere than just hope that what we had could eventually learn.

Well I definitely do not agree with the home run or strike out logic. Tom Osborne was 20 years of hitting doubles before he finally hit it big. I saw the 9.5 wins a season Pelini brought to the table as a good staging ground while he tried to figure out how to break through. The lack of breakthrough was frustrating and the blowouts were not good, but I get pretty exasperated when people dismiss the 9 win thing as some sort of birthright that even Elmer Fudd couldn't screw up. If Notre Dame and Michigan can get sucked into the hire/fire cycle for a decade plus, we sure as hell can too.

Bo never hit a double. He bunted for the occasional base hit, but spent a great deal of time cursing at the ump after striking out looking.

• Fire 1

I didn't read all of this thread so sorry if this was stated already. But, I think there was a lot revealed in this press conference. Just like the one that SE had Sunday. SE on Sunday said that we have the resources to bring in great coaches. But he also said that spending a lot of money on a coach doesn't always translate into wins. And it isn't always about wins and loss's but about what you have done overall with where you are. These statements are very telling as far as this hire. Today I think he did a great job and I think he will be good. I liked how he said that he wants experts at the position they're coaching. How many of our current coaches are experts at the position they are coaching. Some maybe but not all that's for damn sure. Kind of telling who might or has a chance to stay on and who isn't for sure. Also the comment about not knowing them could be that they are not big coaching names, and/or knows of them but doesn't personally know them. he definitely got his one liners in that's for sure. I thought he did really well.

I think the issue for some is that this was most decidly NOT swinging for a home run. Mike Riley is a safe competent choice who isnt going to drive the car into a ditch. He's clearly a well respected coach. But what he is not is a proven consistent winner at the D1 level. He took a horrendous program and made it average with one or two very good years mixed in.

I don't necessarily feel this way, but I understand those who do because that was my initial reaction yesterday as well. A little research and perspective has me cautiously optimistic. I just have a good feeling about the guy after letting this sink in.

For a guy who is so well respected around coaching and media circles, he knows NOBODY on the staff?

That struck me as odd, too. You'd think he'd have a pretty full Rolodex by now.

Yeah...I think he has been pretty isolated...but it still something that kind of bugs me a bit...

1. Really well respected but might not know a lot of guys

2. Might be bringing most/all of his old staff

3. Offense is a hodgepodge/multiple

Not the end of the world but just things that kind of made me go "hmmmm"

He's been here a single day folks. Give him some time....he's got plenty of it.

Thats just it...he doesn't have plenty of time. He is starting recruiting today, he said...time is up.

Exactly. He doesn't have plenty of time, he needs to get to work yesterday.

I,agree with you about all of your concerns.

I was expecting him to win the press conference, but I wasn't impressed.

I said last night that this hire seemed very callahanesque, after hearing this press conference and everything about this guy, he seems more Doc Sadler to me.

Given the negativity you have had over this hire in general, your comments are not surprising.

It's funny that our previous staff got killed for having a Hodge podge offense with no identity, yet this guy gets a pass.

If he brings the majority of his staff from OSU, if his record is any indication of their ability, then we shouldn't expect much better than what we've had the past 15 years.

I think that those are real concerns.

We didn't have a hodge podge offense. We had a perfectly good offense, very similar to what the Top 20 teams use, limited by offensive lines and quarterbacks who were only good enough to win nine games a season.

Also, that Bottom 50 defense made it really hard for an offense to be patient.

Even a modest upgrade in quarterback play -- a Riley strongsuit -- could make a significant difference. Not sure how a defense could play worse than Wisconsin, so I'm going to put that in the upgrade column, too.

• Fire 1