The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

Expectations for Mike Riley as of 12/5/14:

1. Must get to a bowl game every year (2015 may be tough sledding, but it is a must given the pile of crap division we are in)

2. Play for and WIN a conference title in the next 3 years.

3. Be in the playoff once in the next 5 years.

Really? Who would you have hired to replace Bo back in 2010?

The original quote is what torques me a bit with some Husker fans. The issue with Bo wasn't the final record. It was how poorly we looked at times against what many of us would agree were, or should've been, over-matched opponents. Then those poor habits/development manifested itself in upsets, and blowout losses. Bo's record is what it was. However, if I were to scrutinize, I'd state that his 9/10 - 3/4 records were closer to being 7/8 win seasons (snatching victory from the jaws of defeat) than they were 11/12 win seasons. If Riley can put out a 8-4/9-3 regular season without the consistent "beating of ourselves" and blowouts, then I'd consider Riley, at worst, as putting out a similar season than Bo, but without the Bo drama.

• Fire 2

Expectations for Mike Riley as of 12/5/14:[/size]

1. Must get to a bowl game every year (2015 may be tough sledding, but it is a must given the pile of crap division we are in)

Considering that we were 2 incomplete passes from playing in Indy this weekend, I'd venture to say that this staff has 2 years to win the conference and be in the playoffs.

The talent is there. The resources are there. The fan base is there. The program is in great shape, it just needs a shift in culture.

And we were one ass saving run by Ameer from losing to a FCS team and 408 yds away from the playoffs.

• Fire 2

Expectations for Mike Riley as of 12/5/14:[/size]

Considering that we were 2 incomplete passes from playing in Indy this weekend, I'd venture to say that this staff has 2 years to win the conference and be in the playoffs.

The talent is there. The resources are there. The fan base is there. The program is in great shape, it just needs a shift in culture.

I agree with you here. The players are here. This team has enough talent to win the conference, so that cannot be used as an excuse. In my opinion, new coach or not, this team should be in the conference hunt next year.

Wait. What? He wants experts at the staff positions? Who is this guy?

Wait, so no more golf instructors coaching WRs??

I guess I was referring more to Papuchis, Els, No QB coach, ST Coordinator.

Fisher is definitely an exception

Fisher actually seems like a solid coach, though we still have plenty of dropped passes.

Still you have you admit hiring a golf instructor as a major college football assistant was curious at best.

It's funny that our previous staff got killed for having a Hodge podge offense with no identity, yet this guy gets a pass.

If he brings the majority of his staff from OSU, if his record is any indication of their ability, then we shouldn't expect much better than what we've had the past 15 years.

I think that those are real concerns.

Aren't you supposed to be packing your bags for your trip to Manhattan?

ONCE AGAIN let me remind the board that "you" "you're" and other personal pronouns are generally going to be a bad idea in your post. Discuss the topic, not the person.

It's funny that our previous staff got killed for having a Hodge podge offense with no identity, yet this guy gets a pass.

If he brings the majority of his staff from OSU, if his record is any indication of their ability, then we shouldn't expect much better than what we've had the past 15 years.

I think that those are real concerns.

Aren't you supposed to be packing your bags for your trip to Manhattan?

ONCE AGAIN let me remind the board that "you" "you're" and other personal pronouns are generally going to be a bad idea in your post. Discuss the topic, not the person.

Apologies

Wait. What? He wants experts at the staff positions? Who is this guy?

Wait, so no more golf instructors coaching WRs??

I guess I was referring more to Papuchis, Els, No QB coach, ST Coordinator.

Fisher is definitely an exception

Fisher actually seems like a solid coach, though we still have plenty of dropped passes.

Still you have you admit hiring a golf instructor as a major college football assistant was curious at best.

Was he really a golf coach? Or did he coach football and golf?

Here is piece of his bio from Huskers.com

Fisher came to Nebraska after two highly successful seasons in the prep ranks. He spent the 2009 and 2010 seasons as the head coach at Rivers School in Weston, Mass., where he compiled a 12-5 record.

In 2010, Fisher coached Rivers School to a perfect 8-0 regular season, the school’s first undefeated regular season since 1915 and its only ISL championship. In fact, it was just the school’s third winning season in the past 25 years and the first since 1979. The team also played in the Norm Walker Bowl at Gillette Stadium, the first-ever bowl game for Rivers School.

The successful season came in large part because of an explosive offense, as Rivers averaged more than 40 points per game. A pair of Rivers School standouts, Taariq Allen and Ben Patrick, earned All-Scholastic honors from the Boston Herald. A standout receiver, Allen is a redshirt freshman wide receiver for the Huskers.

The 43-year old Fisher spent several years in private business, including owning and operating New England Gridiron Football Camps from 2004 to 2009.

Fisher’s collegiate coaching experience includes stops at Idaho, Colorado and Oklahoma State, most recently spending five seasons on the Vandals’ staff from 1999 to 2003. Fisher tutored the wide receivers during his first two seasons in Moscow, then handled the inside and outside linebackers during his final three seasons.

Prior to his five seasons at Idaho, Fisher spent two seasons as a graduate assistant at Colorado, his alma mater. While with the Buffs in 1997 and 1998, Fisher assisted with coaching the wide receivers. In 1998, he helped the Buffs to an 8-4 record, capped by a victory over Oregon in the Aloha Bowl.

Fisher also spent two seasons as a graduate assistant at Oklahoma State in 1995 and 1996. With the Cowboys, Fisher worked with the defense, specifically in the secondary.

In nine seasons as a coach at the collegiate level, Fisher has worked with five players who went on to play in the NFL.

• Fire 1

Did we kill the previous staff before they even played a game yet? I don't recall that ever happening.

From my recollection, the 2 previous staffs were highly scrutinized before they played a game, iirc.

I,could be wrong, but to the best of my recollection they were.

I could see this being true with Callahan, as he took over for a coach that won nine games. I would have a hard time believing that there was much scrutiny when Bo came in, given the circumstances, especially before they even played a game.

I think that the staffs that both Bo and Bill received quite a bit of scrutiny, and rightfully so.

I'm hoping that this new staff gets put together and those concerns are squashed. If he brings the majority of his guys from OSU, I think that some will question that move.

Did we kill the previous staff before they even played a game yet? I don't recall that ever happening.

From my recollection, the 2 previous staffs were highly scrutinized before they played a game, iirc.

I,could be wrong, but to the best of my recollection they were.

I could see this being true with Callahan, as he took over for a coach that won nine games. I would have a hard time believing that there was much scrutiny when Bo came in, given the circumstances, especially before they even played a game.

I think that the staffs that both Bo and Bill received quite a bit of scrutiny, and rightfully so.

I'm hoping that this new staff gets put together and those concerns are squashed. If he brings the majority of his guys from OSU, I think that some will question that move.

Yes. I am mostly hoping he does not bring his DC with him. Not impressed at all.