Interview with Oregon St Play by Play guy...

I can see what hes saying, Big picture or not, alot of people arent going to give him far to go. If hes got 8 or less wins in year 1 his seat is hot. If he doesnt do any better in year 2 its on fire. If he doesnt do any better in 3 hes gone, no question in my mind.

you need to put a lot of context around that versus just throwing out a number. if anyone proved the number 9 meaningless it was Bo Pelini. 9 the way some teams do it can get you a top 10-15 ranking...9 the way Bo did it leaves you unranked.

• Fire 3

The staff will get at least 3 years unless years 1 and 2 are absolute disasters (no bowl), and I don't see that happening. Riley and his staff managed to keep OSU pretty much afloat over a decade and a half of coaching there. Going from OSU to Nebraska, I'm not sure how Same Coaching + Better Players + Weaker Schedule = Worse Result.

What I'm saying is in the next 2 years anything less than 11 wins per year, a B1G championship, and a spot in the playoffs should call for a coaching, AD, and chancellor change.

so you were ok with Bo's 9 wins, but anything less than 11 and a championship is reason for termination? you f'in up every thread with nonsense is starting to get old - please at least tell me you're trolling and not serious with most of this

9~10 wins wasn't good enough for Bo. Are we changing the standards now?

Bo had to rebuild this program as a first time head coach. The new guy doesn't have to rebuild, he has to change some things and has about 15years head coaching experience.

The schedule is even more beneficial next year than it was this. the talent is there. If this guy is really as elite as Shawn makes him out to be, then no, I'm not kidding. 11 wins should be his basement.

• Fire 1

What I'm saying is in the next 2 years anything less than 11 wins per year, a B1G championship, and a spot in the playoffs should call for a coaching, AD, and chancellor change.

so you were ok with Bo's 9 wins, but anything less than 11 and a championship is reason for termination? you f'in up every thread with nonsense is starting to get old - please at least tell me you're trolling and not serious with most of this

Bo had to rebuild this program as a first time head coach. The new guy doesn't have to rebuild, he has to change some things and has about 15years head coaching experience.

The schedule is even more beneficial next year than it was this. the talent is there. If this guy is really as elite as Shawn makes him out to be, then no, I'm not kidding. 11 wins should be his basement.

BYU is much better than FAU

Miami isn't starting a true fresh QB next season.

The rest of the schedule is the same. Hopefully home field gives us the edge in our bigger games in conference

Banker is a terrible hire. No question about it.

Prediction: Riley and his staff get us 6-7 wins next season.

...and that should be completely unacceptable If that happens. 9 wins (or more) next year. NO EXCUSES.

It is just as likely for Bo to get us 7 wins next season. Losses: BYU with their freak QB back, Miami, Mich St, Wisconsin, Minny, NW or Iowa.

Do I expect it to happen? No I sure don't but it isn't impossible without Gregory or Ameer on our roster

Then why not fire Bo next year?

Nebraska didn't exactly go out and get the best coach with Riley. By far imo. What's Nebraska even striving for anymore? No blowout losses? We wants wins and Riley better produce else it's next man up in 3 years.

• Fire 1

I'm as negative as they come with this hire, but '11 wins should be his basement' is a little harsh.

I do think that unless some monster recruiters are brought in as coordinators, this hire will look pretty bad. He'll do okay here, 8 and 9 wins, but no championships. We'll fire him in 4 seasons or so, and we'll quickly be looking into year 20 with no conference championship.

• Fire 1

...and that should be completely unacceptable If that happens. 9 wins (or more) next year. NO EXCUSES.
It is just as likely for Bo to get us 7 wins next season. Losses: BYU with their freak QB back, Miami, Mich St, Wisconsin, Minny, NW or Iowa.

Do I expect it to happen? No I sure don't but it isn't impossible without Gregory or Ameer on our roster

Nebraska didn't exactly go out and get the best coach with Riley. By far imo. What's Nebraska even striving for anymore? No blowout losses? We wants wins and Riley better produce else it's next man up in 3 years.

So you know you have an employee who can't get it done at work right? Do you let him continue to do subpar work or take a flier on a guy you think (SE) is much better at the job? Easy answer from a business perspective which is what SE views this as

So you know you have an employee who can't get it done at work right? Do you let him continue to do subpar work or take a flier on a guy you think (SE) is much better at the job? Easy answer from a business perspective which is what SE views this as

Then lets hold Riley to the same standard. FYI I thought Bo should have been fired for the blowouts, not the 9-10 wins per year. So I agree with Eichorsts move on that part. Now if Riley produces 9-10 wins a season, I'm sure he'll make it to at least year 5, until the mob gets restless for a championship. If he only produces 5-6-7 win seasons, he'll be gone before we know it. You can put that in bank.

• Fire 2

Eh, it was good enough for Bo to keep his job for 7 years.

Unless the wheels fall off, Riley will get his 5 years. At that point we'll all have a pretty good idea of how far he can take the progrum.

Actually, you don't take a flier. You do everything you can to make sure you get the best candidate for the job.

#Movinggoalposts

#Loweredexpecyations

Eh, it was good enough for Bo to keep his job for 7 years.

Unless the wheels fall off, Riley will get his 5 years. At that point we'll all have a pretty good idea of how far he can take the progrum.

I agree, he'll get his 5 years.,barring implosion.

I can see what hes saying, Big picture or not, alot of people arent going to give him far to go. If hes got 8 or less wins in year 1 his seat is hot. If he doesnt do any better in year 2 its on fire. If he doesnt do any better in 3 hes gone, no question in my mind.

you need to put a lot of context around that versus just throwing out a number. if anyone proved the number 9 meaningless it was Bo Pelini. 9 the way some teams do it can get you a top 10-15 ranking...9 the way Bo did it leaves you unranked.

Completely agree.

Side Note: The Huskers moved up one spot in the coaches poll since Pelini got axed. In the coaches eyes, we've already improved under Riley. :)