Mike Riley's performance so far

Dagerow

It is unreal what some of you THINK needs to happen. He is on a roll right now. If we lose some of the recruits that is what happens in a coaching change. When Bo was hired we a lost a number of recruits that the Clown had. For goodness sakes, he is out there now talking with recruits and getting after it.

There are probably a handful of each of class that will stay at Nebraska no matter who is coaching...they were N once there was interest/offer. The others are committing to a coach/system that will help them better their chances to the next level. You are living under a rock if you think all recruits are just committing to a school! Furthermore, if he goes into a house and sits down with a kid...they ask him who the OC/DC/Position coach is and he does not have a clue because Riley is following your opinion on what he should be doing, how does that look to a recruit that you are no able to answer their questions?

This type of crap is the exact reason why the perception of the Huskers is not what it use to be. Absolutely NO patience and you expect these magical acts to occur!!

• Fire 2

I will say that I supported Bo and didn't want him fired, but Mike Riley is now our coach and I want him to do well. However, recent events have me a little concerned. While I understand that he wants assistants who he knows and trusts, I would have been nice to get some wow hires (frost, any proven recruiter) and possibly bring over a coach or two from the old staff (brown, kaz). But none of that really concerns me, because you have to let him do what he needs to do.

The problem is with how he has handled recruiting. It has take days for him to contact most recuits (even thought some are scheduled to enroll early in January and there is a dead period coming up), and hasn't even (to my knowledge) met most of the current commits. It appears that he is close to losing most every four star we have -- and I don't think he has gotten to many four stars at osu in the last five years. I understand he needs to review our team to address needs of his new offensive and defensive schemes, and look at the film of recuits to evaluate them, but you should never take getting such talent here for granted, especially when your history is not one of excellence in recruiting. Moreover, just reaching out to address the recuits fears and concerns should have been done, even if just to say that he is eager to talk with them later.

I mean, you're so right. I remember back in 07 when Bo was hired, he immediately hit the ground running, got his staff hired in three days, and made sure every single last recruit from Blaine Gabbert to Jonas Gray kept their commitments to Nebraska.

Or, something else happened. One or the other.

• Fire 1

I will say that I supported Bo and didn't want him fired, but Mike Riley is now our coach and I want him to do well. However, recent events have me a little concerned. While I understand that he wants assistants who he knows and trusts, I would have been nice to get some wow hires (frost, any proven recruiter) and possibly bring over a coach or two from the old staff (brown, kaz). But none of that really concerns me, because you have to let him do what he needs to do.

The problem is with how he has handled recruiting. It has take days for him to contact most recuits (even thought some are scheduled to enroll early in January and there is a dead period coming up), and hasn't even (to my knowledge) met most of the current commits. It appears that he is close to losing most every four star we have -- and I don't think he has gotten to many four stars at osu in the last five years. I understand he needs to review our team to address needs of his new offensive and defensive schemes, and look at the film of recuits to evaluate them, but you should never take getting such talent here for granted, especially when your history is not one of excellence in recruiting. Moreover, just reaching out to address the recuits fears and concerns should have been done, even if just to say that he is eager to talk with them later.

I mean, you're so right. I remember back in 07 when Bo was hired, he immediately hit the ground running, got his staff hired in three days, and made sure every single last recruit from Blaine Gabbert to Jonas Gray kept their commitments to Nebraska.

Had nothing to do with 5-7 and the one of the worst seasons in program history. You just don't stop. Recruiting concerns are a little different this go around.

Had nothing to do with 5-7 and the one of the worst seasons in program history. You just don't stop. Recruiting concerns are a little different this go around.

It actually had nothing to do with it. It had everything to do with him staying at his previous employer.

The recruiting concerns are only different because some people have some feels because the new coach isn't the old coach or other coach they wanted.

The fact remains, do you know how many recruits had Bo visited by December 10, 2007 for Nebraska? Zero. So how's about we chill for a little while?

It actually had nothing to do with it. It had everything to do with him staying at his previous employer.

The recruiting concerns are only different because some people have some feels because the new coach isn't the old coach or other coach they wanted.

The fact remains, do you know how many recruits had Bo visited by December 10, 2007 for Nebraska? Zero. So how's about we chill for a little while?

And to top it off, we had Osborne as an interim HC offering scholarships to kids from West Point.

It's almost as if winning isn't good enough. You also have to hire big name coaches and get 4 and 5 star recruits. There is nothing he can do between now and September which should make you doubt his ability. Give the guy a chance to do his job. If he wins with unranked recruits and unknown coaches, we still won't be happy.

Don't know if that fact about 0 contact/visits before Dec 10. Kreikemeyer pledged on Dec 2 and he was Bo's 1st commit. We have no facts that say having an awful season, or seeing your job through and winning a title were the main factors for the class falling apart. Both were huge factors. Riley can win a lot of people over if he can pull some magic in Kansas City today. They are the most important part of this class.

Don't know if that fact about 0 contact/visits before Dec 10. Kreikemeyer pledged on Dec 2 and he was Bo's 1st commit. We have no facts that say having an awful season, or seeing your job through and winning a title were the main factors for the class falling apart. Both were huge factors. Riley can win a lot of people over if he can pull some magic in Kansas City today. They are the most important part of this class.

Kreikemier was offered by Osborne. So technically he was Bo's 1st commit but he wasn't doing the offering.

Kreikemier was offered by Osborne. So technically he was Bo's 1st commit but he wasn't doing the offering.

Exactly, Bo wasn't in his office until January

And you know all of this how? Oh and by the way there are only 24 hour in the day and Riles hasn't had too many days. Give the guy a chance.

He has to uproot his family, move across half way across the country, find a place to live, ect., ect., ... And by all accounts his LBC

is a very good recruiter.

T_O_B

And you know all of this how? Oh and by the way there are only 24 hour in the day and Riles hasn't had too many days. Give the guy a chance.

He has to uproot his family, move across half way across the country, find a place to live, ect., ect., ... And by all accounts his LBC

is a very good recruiter.

T_O_B

I think its just him and his wife, right? I mean, I don't think he has little kids. I am sure she can handle that stuff. But, I know what you are saying, but its not like he has a family of 8 and limited means...I don't think he is driving from Lincoln to Oregon to pack up his stuff in a U-haul and then driving back.

14-Pocket-Oval-Canvas-Tool-Bag.jpeg?id=1

I havent read any of the responses in this thread yet so as not to influence my honest opinion. As you can tell from my posts I have been highly critical of this hire. While Mike seems to have a calming effect on the program at this point, he also hasnt done anything that shows any of us his ability to actually be successful. Now that might not be fair because he hasnt had a chance to even field a team. But, hiring a bunch of cronies from your old gig does not do anything to convince me this is anything more than him just getting paid. SE stated resources were not an issue. Neither Mike nor SE have done anything since to prove that is actually the case. I'm not saying you just have to spend a bunch of money, because you dont and you need the right guys more than anything. However, I think we can all agree there were/are better hires out there.

I havent read any of the responses in this thread yet so as not to influence my honest opinion. As you can tell from my posts I have been highly critical of this hire. While Mike seems to have a calming effect on the program at this point, he also hasnt done anything that shows any of us his ability to actually be successful. Now that might not be fair because he hasnt had a chance to even field a team. But, hiring a bunch of cronies from your old gig does not do anything to convince me this is anything more than him just getting paid. SE stated resources were not an issue. Neither Mike nor SE have done anything since to prove that is actually the case. I'm not saying you just have to spend a bunch of money, because you dont and you need the right guys more than anything. However, I think we can all agree there were/are better hires out there.

In order:

You're correct, to say he hasn't done anything to prove he's a good hire is unfair, borderline insane.

Cronies are guys like old golf coaches picked from the high school scrap heap. Some of these guys were entertaining offers from USC in the last.

We cannot all agree that there are better hires, this may be the best hire.

This board has lost it's mind.