Official staff announcements?

HuskerMan

Any current rumors as to what Ron Brown is doing or being included in?

Sometimes cleaning house and bringing in a whole new staff is what needs to happen. You can't keep holding over coaches from each staff because thats what is expected and out of loyalty for Dr. Tom.

If this coaching change fails, the program never returns back to anything close to what it even is right now. Hiring the right assistants is where it all starts.

Anyone else find it weird that there hasn't been any "official" staff announcements? Only word of mouth from recruits, reporters, etc. While I know these things take time I also thought Riley would be farther along with staff hiring by this point.

What I find weird, is that apparently there's a significant number of people who think that coach Riley
1. Would create an entirely new staff of people he had never worked with,
2. Would create said new staf without having a chance to meet with any of them to see if he thinks that they can work together.
2. Contact recruits without satisfying whatever hoops the University has to jump through to make sure that such contact doesn't violate any NCAA rules or University policies.
I also find it weird that Wisconson would lose their coach to Oregon State. Would you rather be the school that won't retain a generally successful coach or one that apparently can't?
  • Fire 1

Sometimes cleaning house and bringing in a whole new staff is what needs to happen. You can't keep holding over coaches from each staff because thats what is expected and out of loyalty for Dr. Tom.

If this coaching change fails, the program never returns back to anything close to what it even is right now. Hiring the right assistants is where it all starts.

^ disagree

^ disagree

You disagree that hiring the right assistants is where it all starts? Do explain.

Anyone else find it weird that there hasn't been any "official" staff announcements? Only word of mouth from recruits, reporters, etc. While I know these things take time I also thought Riley would be farther along with staff hiring by this point.

What I find weird, is that apparently there's a significant number of people who think that coach Riley
2. Would create said new staf without having a chance to meet with any of them to see if he thinks that they can work together.
2. Contact recruits without satisfying whatever hoops the University has to jump through to make sure that such contact doesn't violate any NCAA rules or University policies.
I also find it weird that Wisconson would lose their coach to Oregon State. Would you rather be the school that won't retain a generally successful coach or one that apparently can't?

truth

I found it weird until I thought it through. There is a recruiting dead period coming up. As soon as he got university/ NCAA paperwork done that allows him to recruit he needed to get out on the road and start reaffirming commitments. This is priority number one!!

He knows who he is bringing with him and so those are the easy first hires. Although I wish his DC wasn't coming and his WR coach was, the number of staff he is bringing is about right. Would you want to go into a new big time position with a team full of people that don't know how you want to operate?

Also, don't you think he is probably still working on the staff while recruiting? Maybe some of these coaches have bowl appearances with other teams to finish up? Some of this could be out of respect for old staff as they prepare for bowl (although I'd want to know if I was staying or not ASAP).

Recruit!! Dead period starts Sunday. Build and announce staff after that.

^ disagree

You disagree that hiring the right assistants is where it all starts? Do explain.

You might be right about the assistants, but I disagree that the program can never return to its current state. It shouldn't be too hard to fine a coach who can win 9 games at Nebraska. I think you are making this sound a lot more dire than it really is. We are on our 4th coach since Osborne, we are way past trying to save anything from that regime. I think it's time to come to grips with the fact that that era is long gone. I don't see why a failure by Riley would do any more damage to the program than what has already be done. It's been 15 years since our last CC, how would 20 be any different? With that being said, it doesn't mean that I'm not ready to start winning again. I hope Riley is the right guy just so we don't have to keep waiting.

I found it weird until I thought it through. There is a recruiting dead period coming up. As soon as he got university/ NCAA paperwork done that allows him to recruit he needed to get out on the road and start reaffirming commitments. This is priority number one!!

He knows who he is bringing with him and so those are the easy first hires. Although I wish his DC wasn't coming and his WR coach was, the number of staff he is bringing is about right. Would you want to go into a new big time position with a team full of people that don't know how you want to operate?

Also, don't you think he is probably still working on the staff while recruiting? Maybe some of these coaches have bowl appearances with other teams to finish up? Some of this could be out of respect for old staff as they prepare for bowl (although I'd want to know if I was staying or not ASAP).

Recruit!! Dead period starts Sunday. Build and announce staff after that.

Recruiting right now is one heck of a lot more important than some hyped up press conference introducing the few assistants that are here to us fans.

The press conference does absolutely nothing to help the program long term. Recruiting does.

• Fire 2

That two HC's have left so recently for programs that are hardly upgrades does not look good.