What makes you like Husker football?

ericdolph

I always tell people you can't have been raised by my dad without becoming a Husker football fan. He's 84 now and still as faithful a fan as any. He gave up going to the games a few years back but when he went he yelled, and cheered on the team with pride (yeah even though he was a "Blue hair"!!!) I put in for and got a season ticket four years ago and low and behold it is in the exact same section and ROW my dad had sat in for decades, just a few seats on down the row.

So I guess Husker football is just in my blood and the University ticket office knew it too!

As relates to my name, I remember listening to Husker games on Saturday afternoons sitting on my grandpa's knee out in the shade behind his house. Then, later on, it would be on the radio when we were out hunting. He never made it past 8th grade, but was a staunch fan. The first memories are from the early 60s, and I distinctly remember "the bar" being a winning season, as the 50s had been pretty miserable for the N.

My uncle was one of the head equipment managers at DONU during that time as well. Every year at the holidays, he'd come back to our home town with old footballs, hats, baseballs and such that he'd hand out to me, my cousins and some close friends. I felt like I was part of the royalty then.

My older siblings all graduated from UN-L. My oldest brother was part of FCA and he arranged for Joe Orduna to come out to our little mid-Nebraska school for a visit. He could throw the football the entire length of our playground, which was amazing to me in 6th grade.

After doing a stint in the Army, I came back fully expecting to be a loner mountain man in Colorado, but when I walked in the house, mom had an enrollment packet for the University, so the mountain man thing never happened. I enrolled in the Fall of 77. Went to every home game as a student (I even kind of remember a few of them) and almost every home game for the 17 years after school that I lived in Lincoln.

During the Lincoln years, I was a rabid, fanatical fan. On the rare occasion we lost, it literally ruined my entire life till around Thursday when I could focus on the next game. I wouldn't even pick the paper up off the steps on Sunday. I'm sure I made my wife and friends miserable with that attitude. I did finally get over it.

But I'll never get over being a Husker fan. I'm a fan because of the heritage, the alumni, the school, the young men on the field and my grandpa. That will never change.

I was born, bred, and bleed Nebraska. Was born in Norfolk to a Husker loving family. Agree with others that I feel there is something genetic there. My family has lived in Norfolk forever. My grandparents were huge fans, my uncle ('81-'83) and cousin ('3-'6) played for the for the Huskers.

Got a hunch.... Brungardts?

I remember Tim because my favorite Husker shirt at that time had #32 on it, which happened to be him, so I naturally paid closer attention. So it was my Tim Brungardt shirt. What everyone failed to tell me was that it was my brother's hand me down and it was actually an I.M. Hipp shirt bought roughly five years earlier.

The fake field goal in the '83 Oklahoma game is still one of the greatest things I've ever seen.... why it never gets mentioned in the lore of other famous Osborne trick plays I'll never understand.

Nope Peterson. Uncle was #83 I don't think he played much at all. Cousin was #15 in 2003 and 04 and #4 in 2005. Was a backup free safety and saw limited playing time. But still cool they got to wear the uniform and go to bowl games and just be in the atmosphere. They both walked on I think. I thought about it too but figured it would never work out and I have enough student loans from a WAY cheaper college so I might not have been for the best.

Husker66 that is awesome, would have been a hell of an experience

I was born 2.8 miles from Memorial Stadium so it's probably illegal for me to not be a Husker fan.

I remember the first Husker game I ever watched was the National Championship game in 1970. I was 7 years old and was allowed to stay up and watch the game. I've been an avid fan ever since.

I was born 2.8 miles from Memorial Stadium so it's probably illegal for me to not be a Husker fan.

I remember the first Husker game I ever watched was the National Championship game in 1970. I was 7 years old and was allowed to stay up and watch the game. I've been an avid fan ever since.

Yes Elf, I'm sure you are correct. I believe if anyone born within 10 miles of the stadium must become a fan. The only alternative is to give up all self respect and become a Hawkeye fan. Not really a choice now is it?

I guess you could say I was born to be a Husker fan. My parents went to the 1974 Cotton Bowl to watch Nebraska beat Texas. Mom was 8 months pregnant with me. Growing up, every Saturday in the fall my folks and their best friends had a football party to listen to the Huskers. Back then we were only on TV for the OU game and maybe one or two other games. I listened to every game. Even being a little kid, I never went to play during the Husker game, I was there for every play. During the 83 orange bowl I juggled oranges during the final drive and when that ball was tipped away I cried. The first game I went to was when we dismantled Minnesota 82-13 at the dome in Minneapolis. I am diehard, I chose my wedding date because it was the bye week. Thank God the church and reception hall were not already booked! I almost went into labor when Eric Crouch caught the pass from Mike Stuntz against OU in 2001. I was jumping on the couch screaming!

There is pride in being a Husker fan and I take my fandom very seriously. The best fans in college football means something. At home games I make a point of finding a fan of our opponent and welcoming them to Lincoln and talking football with them. I love being a Husker and will be until my final breath!

I moved to Omaha from Texas alone during the week between Christmas 1989 and New Years Day 1990. Didn't follow college football too closely in Texas, but I was keenly aware of all of the SWC teams. It was impossible not to be aware of Husker football during that time. I dated a girl and went to her parents' house to watch the loss to Washington in about '92. Sometime during that time, I read in the paper about Kenny Walker, and how the fans would "clap" for him by shaking their hands in the air because he was deaf. I thought that was pretty cool. I moved back to Texas for a couple years in '95 and brought a (different) girl with me and we got married down there. By then I was dyed red. We watched the missed field goal game and I was giving her the play by play because she couldn't bear to watch. I remember going nuts when they won the first NC and everybody thought I was crazy. My in-laws came down for Christmas the next year and we all watched the Fiesta Bowl route of Florida. I remember ordering pizza and we were all decked out in red and the pizza guy thought we were nuts. By the third NC (that great man), we'd moved back to Omaha. Lived in Omaha until last spring. Had season tickets for one year, went to a total of about 20 games, including Minny and Illinois the last two years. Last fall, I took my family to a Husker Heroes event in the practice facility for families of special needs kids. I had a pretty good idea at that time we'd be moving, and I just about broke down looking at that old stadium for the last time. We just moved back to the Houston area, but I was able to watch every game on cable and listen to the post game show on the internet. I will bleed Husker red forever, for sure.

Edit: fixed a grammatical error.

I was born in Lincoln, and I'm still here.

I remember being emotionally tied to winning/losing at a really young age. I loved my team, and loved that they were in my home town.

Watching Cory Schlesinger rumble into the end zone for our first title of my lifetime was one of the greatest moments of my life. I'll never forget that feeling. In the fourth quarter, when we were down, I came upstairs all depressed. Thought sure we were gonna lose, and I was ranting. My mom, probably not even looking up from her cross-stitching (as she only listened to games on the radio back then - said watching made her too nervous) said, "Don't be a fickle fan."

lol. Cool story, right?

One of my favorite things growing up was getting the Journal Star a few days late in the mail and reading all the game recaps and looking at the color photos. We had it shipped to us when we lived in Wisconsin.

This was at a time when I saw only 3/4 games a year on TV and the rest I basically sat and watched the ESPN scroll waiting for updates. Inevitably we lost out on regional TV telecasts and were stuck with the crappy Big 10 matchup of the week. Oh, the irony...