OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

I really figured that this latest revelation would kill off the last of the lingering support Pelini had. That does not seem to be the case. A second tirade that went after pretty much everyone at every level, admin, media and fans were stacked against him and the players. A good rule to live by, if you think the whole world is out to get you, it may be time to seek mental health care. Clearly he had no desire to be here, and resented every single one of us who actually have a passion about the program. Why anyone would want to continue to support the man is beyond me.

• Fire 3

Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bo's comments were not private. They were made to a large group of people who he used to coach.

You've gotta be trolling. That's pretty much it.

A coaches discussions with his players is not private. Yeah, that sounds right. That's pretty much it.

They are not, and were not, his players. Thankfully, he was no longer part of their program.
I'm pretty sure they would disagree.

First, you say a coach's statements to his team are public. Now, you say they aren't his players. What are you smoking? I want some.

First, they don't get to decide that a factual statement is false.

Second, they weren't his team when he made those statements. At that time he was Mr. Pelini, former head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

But, please. Do go on telling us that a statement made to 100+ former affiliates was "private."

There is so many things wrong with your statements that I don't know we're to begin.

Let's assume that they are not his players and he wasn't there coach (as you imply). Under these circumstances, is his conversation with them (and not you) private? When you talk with your friends, is that private?

I just leave this with the following statement: you and I have different definitions of private.

We might very well have different definitions of private. That said, if your definition of private is a self-aggrandizing speech made to more than a hundred former associates . . . well my definition is more accurate than your own.

• Fire 1

he will never, ever, coach another program of Nebraska's statute ever again

"Stature"?

why it is unacceptable to act this way

You are confusing "acceptable" with "understandable". Either that, or you are intentionally switching the two in order to knock down a straw man of your own creation.

It isn't acceptable to use profanity at any time. That being said, it is understandable that people use unacceptable profanity when:

"They are as mad as H*ll"

"You scare the sh*t out of them"

"They are having a 'WTF' moment"

I heard my Great Aunt swear only one time, when she was watching Robb Schnitzler return his one and only punt that year 70 yards for a touchdown (does this date me?), telling him "Run, you sonofa...!" Unacceptable, but understandable...

Now, for those of you who are bound and determined to be outraged, you go right ahead. This is America, you have that right.

No, I am not. It is not understandable to use language of that type consistently to young men. It not understandable to ever use those words in a setting where you are to be a role model. It is not understandable, for a rational person, to act so much out of anger 2 days after this person was wronged. None of this is understandable.

It is, however, unacceptable. Unless, of course, you are a toddler. Then it would be understandable, because you wouldn't know any better. Pelini had the charge of being a role model to 120 young men and 3.1 million reasons to know better.

I am sorry you don't understand the definition of understandable and unacceptable. Furthermore, the fact you think any reasonably educated person could confuse those two things either is a terrible attempt at an insult or proves you are not the aforementioned type of person.

edit: You accuse me of a straw man argument, then bring up an isolated incident of a seemingly innocent person slipping up with a swear word. That is, of course, the same as a man who uses this as commonplace in his everyday vernacular.

• Fire 1

I know several staffers (whom I shall not throw under the bus) that say the same thing about Eichorst. Backhanded slimeball lawyer that doesn't talk to anyone.

Everyone should thank Bo for turning the program back in the right direction from the pederson-callahan debacle instead of bashing him.

The OWH had it out for Bo since he called out chatelain for negative reporting of a 19 year old. The easily media-influenced fans fell in with bashing and it gradually snowballed. Bo should have played the media and fans better, he definitely stoked his own fire. If he was more tactful, he could have had the fans on his side and against the OWH.

Anyway, now we are in what will be the eichorst-riley debacle. Anyone who thinks Mike Riley will lead us to championships is just fooling yourself. We won't be Nebraska until they (and likely Perlman) are gone. The start of another downturn for NE. Hopefully this one will only last a couple of years.

I will probably be called names for saying this but Good Luck Bo. I hope you and your family find happiness and are treated better than you have been treated here.

• Fire 2

this hurts the program.

I agree, and that is why I'm surprised it came out. When the first tape was released, you can understand why. Releasing this tape and this time is confusing. It does nothing but hurt the University. This exposure certainly can't help Riley's recruiting efforts. The team doesn't need this 10 days before playing in their bowl game. Even if YSU was to back out of their HC choice, it would only hurt UNL even more financially.
How does this hurt the University? I get that it is bad publicity and makes things seem like a total clusterf#@k around the program but, this is about the total and complete classlessness of one man, Bo Pelini, not the University. Anybody that puts any stock in what Bo Pelini says at this point in time is not a smart person. His comments about SE should be given the same weight as his comments about everything else and that means anything he says is basically worthless and likely wrong.

Seems to me that this recording supports the justification for firing a 9-win coach. I mean, wouldn't anyone around the nation listen to his remarks to the team and say, "Yeah, I guess Pelini really was a douchebag after all. Nebraska did well to get rid of the guy."

Agree this supports the idea of firing a nine win coach. But, honest question, when has Bo ever lied? Is there really a reason not give his words weight? Just because he is constantly pissed off person, does not mean his words are untrue, necessarily.

It's not necessarily a question of him lying but more how he seems to be totally incapable of perceiving how things really are. His perception of everything else seems to be clouded and just plain wrong, so why should anyone believe a word he has to say about Eichorst. It's like getting stock advice from the bum who lives under the bridge.

Not that there's anything wrong with living under a bridge.

Pelini is not a good football coach

False by any standards applied with the exception of personal opinion

Glad someone else said it. Good coach. Not necessarily the greatest person by some of our standards (I'm not judging, especially considering some names people are calling Bo, ironic eh). Now more than ever though, I am glad that we moved on from him. Nothing against him, but it was too toxic of a relationship. It wasn't going to turn out good.

Mitch Sherman said it best.

"This final, ugly chapter in Pelini’s career at Nebraska verifies what we already knew: It was time – probably past time – for their breakup."

he will never, ever, coach another program of Nebraska's statute ever again

"Stature"?

why it is unacceptable to act this way

You are confusing "acceptable" with "understandable". Either that, or you are intentionally switching the two in order to knock down a straw man of your own creation.

It isn't acceptable to use profanity at any time. That being said, it is understandable that people use unacceptable profanity when:

"They are as mad as H*ll"

"You scare the sh*t out of them"

"They are having a 'WTF' moment"

I heard my Great Aunt swear only one time, when she was watching Robb Schnitzler return his one and only punt that year 70 yards for a touchdown (does this date me?), telling him "Run, you sonofa...!" Unacceptable, but understandable...

Now, for those of you who are bound and determined to be outraged, you go right ahead. This is America, you have that right.

No, I am not. It is not understandable to use language of that type consistently to young men. It not understandable to ever use those words in a setting where you are to be a role model. It is not understandable, for a rational person, to act so much out of anger 2 days after this person was wronged. None of this is understandable.

It is, however, unacceptable. Unless, of course, you are a toddler. Then it would be understandable, because you wouldn't know any better. Pelini had the charge of being a role model to 120 young men and 3.1 million reasons to know better.

I am sorry you don't understand the definition of understandable and unacceptable. Furthermore, the fact you think any reasonably educated person could confuse those two things either is a terrible attempt at an insult or proves you are not the aforementioned type of person.

edit: You accuse me of a straw man argument, then bring up an isolated incident of a seemingly innocent person slipping up with a swear word. That is, of course, the same as a man who uses this as commonplace in his everyday vernacular.

We are still talking about football coaches right.

Poor Bo, he doesn't even know how much he is hurting is career.

Oh I think he knows...but I just don't think he can control it. It's a classic symptom of someone who is unstable and has anger management issues. They just can't help themselves. A leader of any organization, whether it's a football program or a Fortune 500 company, cannot have anger management issues and expect his team/subordinates to be successful.

Why do people who view other people differently than you do have to be bad? If two people watch one comedian, they might both laugh, one laugh one not, or both not laugh. If they differ it isn't because one is evil and one is good. It's because they are different people. It's a pretty common thread in our society today that people on opposite sides of an issue need to view that person as an enemy. We aren't enemies. We're neighbors. I like Bo. I liked him as Coach of NU. He wasn't perfect because he's a human. Everything he did wasn't shiny and awesome. I disagreed with the need to fire him. I also (for the most part) liked what he had to say to his players. He is a brusque and (from his worldview) very honest person. He seems to genuinely care for his players and look out for them.

If you disagree me I'm okay with that. It's your right. The way you were raised and / or live causes you to view people and the world differently than I do. You value different things in different ways. I'm going to assume you aren't evil even though you disagree with me. I'm not going to assume you're an idiot because you don't agree with my point. Do me a favor and attempt to view people on the opposite side of whatever issue-of-the-day we are talking about in the same light. Maybe take an extra 10 secs before hitting "Post" and make sure you aren't demonizing someone who doesn't agree with you.

I've already seen in 9 pages people called immoral, unethical, lunatics, idiot, etc etc. You really think I must have questionable morals because I don't think Bo Pelini is an a-hole? Really? Just take a breath before you post.

• Fire 4

Lol the man is gone and guys on this message board think trying to convince people online that Bo is a psychopath will somehow mean something.

After that transcript came out, this isn't a hard sell.

Listen, I've been among the most vocal supporters Bo's had for several years, even after the first tape came out. But how many times do you have to get punched by this guy before you disassociate yourself from him?

This is starting to look like Battered Wife Syndrome. No man who says what he said to those players deserves our support.

Late to respond to this but I felt I should. Im over him as my coach. He had a nice little 7 year run that had some ungodly rocky moments that he probably brought upon himself. I hope he does well at YSU, doesnt mean Im going to toss my Zac Lee jersey in the trash and become a die hard Penguin. I probably wont ever see a game he coaches at the school.

But I know people who know him personally. He isnt the monster everyone wants him to be. He is gone so the healing can begin. Problem is he dumped salt in the wound on the way out the door. Pretty unclassy thing to do for a guy who prides himself on morals and integrity. Tarnishes the little bit of legacy he had left. But still im not going to dwell on this final act of poor judgement on his part. I wont lose sleep over this, maybe about how Barney stumbles around coaching the bowl game, but not this.

• Fire 2

Everyone should thank Bo for turning the program back in the right direction from the pederson-callahan debacle instead of bashing him.

We owe Pelini a lot less than he owes us. We gave him far more than his ability, experience, and character deserved.

I think you're both correct.

He never won a conference championship or national championship, that is correct.

But you said he can't win, which is false.

How many conference title trophies and national championship trophies does Mike Riley have in his 15 or 20 years of coaching? 1? With a 58% or so winning percentage. What's that called? Winning?

It's called you having no idea of context.
Erickson got 1 in 4 years in the exact same situation, literally. Context.
Might take care to check and see who recruited Houshmanzadeh and Ochocinco

Agree, I give him credit for that.

Still find it odd he was never able to coach his own recruits to one 11 win season in 15 years, but Erickson did once in 4 or 5 years.

Check your timelines. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Erickson was there before Phil Knight started dropping giant sums of money into the rival 45 min down the road. USC was also very down at the time. They hired Carroll in 2001. Also note that the 11 win season occured in a year where only 3 Pac 10 schools posted records over .500. The Pac10 was in a serious down period then.

Why do people who view other people differently than you do have to be bad? If two people watch one comedian, they might both laugh, one laugh one not, or both not laugh. If they differ it isn't because one is evil and one is good. It's because they are different people. It's a pretty common thread in our society today that people on opposite sides of an issue need to view that person as an enemy. We aren't enemies. We're neighbors. I like Bo. I liked him as Coach of NU. He wasn't perfect because he's a human. Everything he did wasn't shiny and awesome. I disagreed with the need to fire him. I also (for the most part) liked what he had to say to his players. He is a brusque and (from his worldview) very honest person. He seems to genuinely care for his players and look out for them.

If you disagree me I'm okay with that. It's your right. The way you were raised and / or live causes you to view people and the world differently than I do. You value different things in different ways. I'm going to assume you aren't evil even though you disagree with me. I'm not going to assume you're an idiot because you don't agree with my point. Do me a favor and attempt to view people on the opposite side of whatever issue-of-the-day we are talking about in the same light. Maybe take an extra 10 secs before hitting "Post" and make sure you aren't demonizing someone who doesn't agree with you.

I've already seen in 9 pages people called immoral, unethical, lunatics, idiot, etc etc. You really think I must have questionable morals because I don't think Bo Pelini is an a-hole? Really? Just take a breath before you post.

(deep breath)

I disagree.