OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

I, with very limited exposure to SE, have ever reason to doubt SE. A significant amount of what he said in the press conference has turned out to be false

Such as?

I don't have time right now to review the entire conference but of the top of my head (with a little help for the Internet)-

That he likes Bo

That they will honor offers (Dilliman and JW)

That he just made the decision the night before he fired him

The the firing was cordial

That he was clear as to what his standards were

That his number one concern was on the student athletes (he brought security guards with him)

He wanted to listen to what Bo had to say

That he has been supportive and optimistic all the way until the end

Didn't even talk to Osborne prior to firing Bo (not false, but disrespectful and shortsighted)

Ect

I don't have time, but could continue. Yes, I know you will dispute a number of these, but as it is impossible to "prove" who is right and wrong (to a large extent) so arguing of each will accomplish little. So I will leave it with that.

I'm not really that disappointed in what was said. He has always been straight forward in his assessments and his players have always said that he was bluntly honest with them. This hasn't changed that view. People are upset he didn't have a glowing outlook on the University that just fired him? People are shocked and angry that he was honest and told his players they need to make decisions for themselves on what is best for them, whether it be to stay or leave? He also said play your hearts out in the bowl. He also said give the new coach a chance because it's a tough situation. I actually enjoyed reading it. It pulled back the curtain somewhat. Oooh, he called the guy who fired him a p****. Bet 20 year old college kids have never heard that language before. Oh no, now these kids won't respect the administration because Bo called them names. How will they ever play hard again...? There is no connection.

Exactly

• Fire 1

Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bo's comments were not private. They were made to a large group of people who he used to coach.

You've gotta be trolling. That's pretty much it.

A coaches discussions with his players is not private. Yeah, that sounds right. That's pretty much it.

They are not, and were not, his players. Thankfully, he was no longer part of their program.

I'm pretty sure they would disagree.

First, you say a coach's statements to his team are public. Now, you say they aren't his players. What are you smoking? I want some.

I'm not really that disappointed in what was said. He has always been straight forward in his assessments and his players have always said that he was bluntly honest with them. This hasn't changed that view. People are upset he didn't have a glowing outlook on the University that just fired him? People are shocked and angry that he was honest and told his players they need to make decisions for themselves on what is best for them, whether it be to stay or leave? He also said play your hearts out in the bowl. He also said give the new coach a chance because it's a tough situation. I actually enjoyed reading it. It pulled back the curtain somewhat. Oooh, he called the guy who fired him a p****. Bet 20 year old college kids have never heard that language before. Oh no, now these kids won't respect the administration because Bo called them names. How will they ever play hard again...? There is no connection.

This guy is supposed to be a role model and he acted like an immature child. I don't care if these college kids have heard this language before, the language Bo used to talk about his former employer is inexcusable. Absolutely zero class from him. However I wasn't disappointed either, because I come to expect this from Bo. I would be absolutely shocked if he's ever given a Division 1 head coaching job again.

A guy that locked a concussed player in a shed is currently a D 1 head coach. A guy that blatantly lied on his resume he turned into Notre Dame is currently a D 1 head coach.

I can guarantee you he will get a D 1 head coaching gig if the programs thinks he can win there.

Hell, the top choice to replace Pelini on this board actively covered up NCAA violations.

The ridiculousness of some of these statements is just plain humorous .

Solid response.

The "C" word? No one with any class uses the "C" word anywhere, anytime.

...because no one has class when they are angry...and everybody gets angry.

Bo was a bad fit for Nebraska. I've known people with his personality when I used to live back East, so I guess I'm not as scandalized as some (most) of you. He strikes me as abrasive and in your face type of guy who would have your back when the chips were down. That doesn't necessarily make him a good (or even adequate) head coach to flatter and schmooze with donors and regents used to more reserved and soft spoken . demeanors.

I also know that Eichorst, with his almost hermit like behavior would be at odds with a Pelini like personality. UNK got rid of a similar personality a few years ago because THAT type of guy was holding their program back.

In the end, it's all water under the bridge. Bo is happy going back to Ohio, I'm happy for Bo, I'm happy for you guys who want Bo back in Ohio, Riley is happy coming here...so are you happy? If not, why not?

Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bo's comments were not private. They were made to a large group of people who he used to coach.

You've gotta be trolling. That's pretty much it.

A coaches discussions with his players is not private. Yeah, that sounds right. That's pretty much it.

They are not, and were not, his players. Thankfully, he was no longer part of their program.

I'm pretty sure they would disagree.

First, you say a coach's statements to his team are public. Now, you say they aren't his players. What are you smoking? I want some.

First, they don't get to decide that a factual statement is false.

Second, they weren't his team when he made those statements. At that time he was Mr. Pelini, former head coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers.

But, please. Do go on telling us that a statement made to 100+ former affiliates was "private."

This guy is supposed to be a role model and he acted like an immature child. I don't care if these college kids have heard this language before, the language Bo used to talk about his former employer is inexcusable. Absolutely zero class from him. However I wasn't disappointed either, because I come to expect this from Bo. I would be absolutely shocked if he's ever given a Division 1 head coaching job again.

A guy that locked a concussed player in a shed is currently a D 1 head coach. A guy that blatantly lied on his resume he turned into Notre Dame is currently a D 1 head coach.

I can guarantee you he will get a D 1 head coaching gig if the programs thinks he can win there.

Hell, the top choice to replace Pelini on this board actively covered up NCAA violations.

The ridiculousness of some of these statements is just plain humorous .

Except he can't win. He couldn't even win the Big Ten freaking west. So yeah, I'm betting they'll be lining him up to lead an sec or PAC 12 team.

So you're adding to the ridiculousness.

• Fire 2

The "C" word? No one with any class uses the "C" word anywhere, anytime.

...because no one has class when they are angry...and everybody gets angry.

Bo was a bad fit for Nebraska. I've known people with his personality when I used to live back East, so I guess I'm not as scandalized as some (most) of you. He strikes me as abrasive and in your face type of guy who would have your back when the chips were down. That doesn't necessarily make him a good (or even adequate) head coach to flatter and schmooze with donors and regents used to more reserved and soft spoken . demeanors.

I also know that Eichorst, with his almost hermit like behavior would be at odds with a Pelini like personality. UNK got rid of a similar personality a few years ago because THAT type of guy was holding their program back.

In the end, it's all water under the bridge. Bo is happy going back to Ohio, I'm happy for Bo, I'm happy for you guys who want Bo back in Ohio, Riley is happy coming here...so are you happy? If not, why not?

Not everybody acts like an uncontrolled and immature cro-magnon when angry. Typically, the less intelligent one is, the more they lash out when met with adversity. Individuals who are public figures, poised in teaching positions, fathers to young girls, and paid millions of dollars a year should have the wherewithal and maturity to control themselves.

This is fun and all. But it really is time to move on. Mike Riley is our coach now. I for one am definitely looking forward to "not waiting for the next tape of Bo".

It's obvious now more than ever it was best for us to move on. So, let's do it...

GBR!

These people defending this piece of trailer park trash are almost more appalling than the transcript from this meeting with students. If you can't understand why it is unacceptable to act this way, I question your personal morals and ethics.

This is not how the university system or people in education should act, and it is not how the people of this state want their leaders acting. I am so happy we have somebody I don't have to worry about "tapes" being released and embarrassing our state and university.

I thank Eichorst for that. It makes me welcome Mike Riley's demeanor as a fresh, positive start.

• Fire 5

These people defending this piece of trailer park trash are almost more appalling than the transcript from this meeting with students. If you can't understand why it is unacceptable to act this way, I question your personal morals and ethics.

This is not how the university system or people in education should act, and it is not how the people of this state want their leaders acting. I am so happy we have somebody I don't have to worry about "tapes" being released and embarrassing our state and university.

I thank Eichorst for that. It makes me welcome Mike Riley's demeanor as a fresh, positive start.

+1.

Bo's record of wins and losses isn't the only reason why he will never, ever, coach another program of Nebraska's statute ever again.

Time to give head coach Riley his turn. Line up the support, people. PARTICULARLY you folks who repeatedly claimed that all Nebraska fans had to support Pelini because he was the head coach at Nebraska. He isn't. Riley is. And thank goodness for that.