OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

I agree with you. I'm just pointing out what Bo said himself - even if you don't like one of your coaches, I think it's still an AD's job to communicate and not intentionally distance themselves. I've heard reports that Riley stayed at Eichorst's house even recently, perhaps when he came to meet with the players? I didn't expect Pelini and SE to bunk over, but, It's tough to do a good job when your boss isn't supporting you or trying to have honest discussions with you.

I'm all for differing personalities and management styles. If Pelini had won more here, his attitude and sideline behavior wouldn't have been an issue. Because he never won much of substance, it became an issue.

Still disappointed Bo went the direction he went with this. I think political correctness and saying the right things all the time can sometimes go too far, but, Pelini still has to be better than what he may have been in this last meeting with the players. First the audio tape and now this. Not wise from someone who wants to head a football program, even if he felt disrespected.

Let's think about the source for the idea that Eichorst and Eichorst alone is to blame. These are Bo's words, and what do we know of Bo?

That he went on an expletive-filled tirade after one of the most amazing comeback victories anyone has ever seen.

That he has been openly antagonistic with the media, often (but not always) unnecessarily.

That he has been too stubbornly belligerent to modify his schemes, so much so that Wisconsin utterly destroyed his defense, twice, with entirely different personnel on said defenses.

That he challenged his employer to fire him after a debacle of a loss, the umpteenth of his career, in front of a roomful of reporters.

That he again has gone on an expletive-filled tirade in which he blamed everyone but himself for the failures of his era, and that he did so to these players, overtly telling them that they could not trust the administration of the university, and that their future here was in doubt.

That's the source for the idea that Eichorst was in the wrong. The man who has been tilting at windmills for years.

That is not a credible source.

Very good points Knapp, but at the end of the day, if some of the facts are true that Eichorst didnt ever try to work through the initial issues with Bo, then he basically had decided to fire Bo before ever giving him a chance.

SE was Bo's boss and a good Boss tries his best to work through issues with employees before just firing them.

While i agree we cant believe everything Bo says, we need to weed through all the swearing and whining and look at some of the substance that SE had basically fired Bo long ago and refused to work through this to solve issues.

If Bo feels like the administration has his back it might not help us against wisconsin or Minnesota but it might help in the long run for this program.

At the end of the day, i think no matter what Bo wanted someone to blame for his failures and since SE is who fired him, he was the guy.

Still concerned with how SE treated Bo from day 1.

A good boss also knows a lost cause when he sees it.

• Fire 2

You guys are pu&&y. I like Bo even more.

Look at almost any thread, and if you think you "fans" are not more negative and childish the Bo, your delusional. SE sounds like a complete loser.

Bring it.

lol at this
Can't engage in any real discussion ... Why you afraid?

Because there's nothing to discuss. Bo's statements are inexcusable. In the business world, what he did is absolutely unacceptable.

And I supported Bo for a long time.

I see no reason to believe Bo over Eichorst. No coach goes out like that. It's classless. It's shameful.

Bo always tells the players like it is. He owed his players an explaination and gave it to them. He's not there to say what you thought. He there to tell the players what he thinks. I don't want him to lie or fill them with BS. They are grown men and can make up their own minds.

On believing Bo over SE, I have never seen anything that makes me doubt Bo's integrity. I, with very limited exposure to SE, have ever reason to doubt SE. A significant amount of what he said in the press conference has turned out to be false, and the statement released by the athletic department makes it worse. It's just filled with lawyer talk that says nothing real, and is written in a childish manner. Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

• Fire 3

Look at almost any thread, and if you think you "fans" are not more negative and childish the Bo, your delusional. SE sounds like a complete loser.

Bring it.

lol at this

You're grammer.

Again, afraid to engage in a real discussion. Weak.

You can call your boss anything and everything you want to. But, there are times and places to call your boss a c*** and p****, and this moist certainly wasn't.

Some of the places and times you can rant and call your boss a c*** and d******* are:

- in your sleep

- at the dentist

- to your wife or husband

- to the person at the drive through when waiting for your food

- to the airline pilot when boarding

- to your co-pilot (make sure he or she isn't your boss)

- to your new friend, Mr. Walkie Stickie, who you met while hiking and happened to find it laying on the ground with other Mr and Mrs Walkie Stickies

- to your new boss

- alone in the dark

- into a seashell

- at the zoo to a Panda bear who is up close to the window

- to your kid's best friend

- to the empty beds of the children you wished you had

- to that s*******, Mike, who sucks and keeps saying how cool he is and well-traveled for having visited NYC for a week and you're like "but I lived in Holland and Italy for years. I even studied in Singapore! NYC is dumb. What a s******."

- in a field and playing with army men

However, when he is no longer your boss you have free right to speak your mind

Bring it.

lol at this

Because there's nothing to discuss. Bo's statements are inexcusable. In the business world, what he did is absolutely unacceptable.

And I supported Bo for a long time.

I see no reason to believe Bo over Eichorst. No coach goes out like that. It's classless. It's shameful.

Bo always tells the players like it is. He owed his players an explaination and gave it to them. He's not there to say what you thought. He there to tell the players what he thinks. I don't want him to lie or fill them with BS. They are grown men and can make up their own minds.

On believing Bo over SE, I have never seen anything that makes me doubt Bo's integrity. I, with very limited exposure to SE, have ever reason to doubt SE. A significant amount of what he said in the press conference has turned out to be false, and the statement released by the athletic department makes it worse. It's just filled with lawyer talk that says nothing real, and is written in a childish manner. Bo's comments were private. The statements is meant to be public and is a joke.

Bullcrap. He could have voiced his opinions in a much better way than just throwing personal insults at a man. He didn't have to lie to be a decent person. He could have said, "I think it was a terrible decision. I really question the reasoning behind it." You call that "lawyer talk", I call it being a professional.

And, I like that you say you don't doubt his integrity, then note that Bo's comments were in private. It's what we do when we don't think anyone is watching that defines our character.

• Fire 1

And, I like that you say you don't doubt his integrity, then note that Bo's comments were in private. It's what we do when we don't think anyone is watching that defines our character.

Exactly. If you expect different public behavior compared to private behavior and then opine on the integrity of someone else . . . well . . .

• Fire 4

not if you truly believe your new hire can recruit. The "that guy is gone" pitch would be pretty easy in this situation if you are any recruiter worth your salt.

Bo has caused unnecessary work for his successor. These glib explanations for why none of this is a problem completely ignore that.

I get what you're saying, but I think Bo just accomplished the opposite. His actions have made a true clean start possible. No one can defend Bo anymore and what he did was close the door on his Legacy.

These new coaches will have to take all the leadership because it hasn't been developed and nurtured. As bad as this situation is, I think it is all on Bo and good for the program moving forward.

I guess that is my question. Name one thing he has said that is wrong. Nobody can prove anything he said is wrong. You may not agree, but its not "wrong".

Bo was wrong to call Nebraska fans "F-ing fair-weather fans." We've packed that stadium every game, every year he's been here, and 40-something years before that. We'll probably pack it 40 more years. That isn't a group of fair-weather fans. I don't blame the people who left that Ohio State game. They were watching a terrible product for the better part of the game. They missed an epic comeback, but they were right in choosing not to watch the team bumble around.

Bo was wrong not to change his defensive philosophies. His team got absolutely embarrassed in the 2011 Big Ten Championship. Three years later with not one player who played a down in that game, he gives up a (then) D1A record to Melvin Gordon.

Bo was wrong to blame that Wisconsin game performance on "the negativity" rather than his inability to prepare the players to play a 60-minute game. That Wisconsin game had NOTHING to do with the fans, the media or Eichorst or Perlman. It had everything to do with Bo's shortcomings as a leader, and to blame ANYTHING but himself is wrong. Hugely wrong.

Bo was wrong when he claimed he pointed the thumb. He clearly blames Eichorst for his failings. Read the transcript, it's right there.

I could go on and on, just about the latter 1/4 of this season, and the days after his termination.

Don't try to sell this "nothing Bo said was wrong." No intelligent person is going to buy that.

Wrong. He was talking only about the fans that left. Don't let facts get in the way of you opinion.
I addressed why he was wrong about those fans.

And that doesn't do anything to refute the rest of that post, all of which are irrefutable. And there are many, many more examples of Bo being wrong.

I pointed out that your premise was wrong. But since you are inviting me to show your errors ("all of which are irrefutable"), Ill give it a try.

Fans. Yes, they show up, but they also bitch a lot. How many other teams fire a 9-3 coach twice (and only a couple years after playing in a national championship game). That's what Bo doesn't like.

Bo not changing his defensive scheme. Well considering most believe he is a defensive guru, and has put up great defensive numbers for most of his career, Ill assume that he knows more about how to coach defense then some poster on the Internet.

Wiscoson meltdown. I agree with you and Bo. I do believe the negativity and stress effects the players, but this one was largely on Bo. It's his job to overcome that.

Pointing the thumb. Bo was attacking SE's shortcomings. The two are not mutual exclusive. He can be at fault and so can SE. But, one thing your missing: he was taking to his players. He wants to say things for them to help them deal with the loss.

Bring it.

worst.post.ever.
Again, bring it. Tell me why I'm wrong and I will show you why you are mistaken.

I don't want to feed the troll... but I can't tell if you're serious or not.

If you somehow like Bo even more, what will it take here? An audio tape of him specifically mentioning he doesn't like you AND your mother personally?

Your missing the point. I don't disagree with him.