OWH: Bo Pelini insults A.D. Shawn Eichorst in expletive-filled rant during final meeting with players

zoogs

I was happy when they fired Bo but not because of his on/off field antics but just that we couldn't get over the hump and were not improving. However, when I read what he said to the players I don't fault him one bit and it actually endears me to him. For those who say he should have been more professional or that his salary dictates a more professional response, I couldn't agree less. I worked for a NBA team for over 18 years and the sh%$ that happens in these environments is absolutely crazy. If I had a boss that never showed his face and acted more like a lawyer than an AD, I would be pissed off too. I love how much passion Bo had for the game and his players and his rants just proved that to me.

Well...uh...that's a different response than I would have expected.

this hurts the program.

I agree, and that is why I'm surprised it came out. When the first tape was released, you can understand why. Releasing this tape and this time is confusing. It does nothing but hurt the University. This exposure certainly can't help Riley's recruiting efforts. The team doesn't need this 10 days before playing in their bowl game. Even if YSU was to back out of their HC choice, it would only hurt UNL even more financially.

How does this hurt the University? I get that it is bad publicity and makes things seem like a total clusterf#@k around the program but, this is about the total and complete classlessness of one man, Bo Pelini, not the University. Anybody that puts any stock in what Bo Pelini says at this point in time is not a smart person. His comments about SE should be given the same weight as his comments about everything else and that means anything he says is basically worthless and likely wrong.

Seems to me that this recording supports the justification for firing a 9-win coach. I mean, wouldn't anyone around the nation listen to his remarks to the team and say, "Yeah, I guess Pelini really was a douchebag after all. Nebraska did well to get rid of the guy."

Agree this supports the idea of firing a nine win coach. But, honest question, when has Bo ever lied? Is there really a reason not give his words weight? Just because he is constantly pissed off person, does not mean his words are untrue, necessarily.

It's not necessarily a question of him lying but more how he seems to be totally incapable of perceiving how things really are. His perception of everything else seems to be clouded and just plain wrong, so why should anyone believe a word he has to say about Eichorst. It's like getting stock advice from the bum who lives under the bridge.

this hurts the program.

I agree, and that is why I'm surprised it came out. When the first tape was released, you can understand why. Releasing this tape and this time is confusing. It does nothing but hurt the University. This exposure certainly can't help Riley's recruiting efforts. The team doesn't need this 10 days before playing in their bowl game. Even if YSU was to back out of their HC choice, it would only hurt UNL even more financially.
How does this hurt the University? I get that it is bad publicity and makes things seem like a total clusterf#@k around the program but, this is about the total and complete classlessness of one man, Bo Pelini, not the University. Anybody that puts any stock in what Bo Pelini says at this point in time is not a smart person. His comments about SE should be given the same weight as his comments about everything else and that means anything he says is basically worthless and likely wrong.

Seems to me that this recording supports the justification for firing a 9-win coach. I mean, wouldn't anyone around the nation listen to his remarks to the team and say, "Yeah, I guess Pelini really was a douchebag after all. Nebraska did well to get rid of the guy."

Agree this supports the idea of firing a nine win coach. But, honest question, when has Bo ever lied? Is there really a reason not give his words weight? Just because he is constantly pissed off person, does not mean his words are untrue, necessarily.

It's not necessarily a question of him lying but more how he seems to be totally incapable of perceiving how things really are. His perception of everything else seems to be clouded and just plain wrong, so why should anyone believe a word he has to say about Eichorst. It's like getting stock advice from the bum who lives under the bridge.

I guess that is my question. Name one thing he has said that is wrong. Nobody can prove anything he said is wrong. You may not agree, but its not "wrong".

i would say calling an ad a swear word my wife won't let me say to student athletes is "wrong"

Per Sam McKewon, this is not accurate. The Deadspin transcript said one thing, the OWH transcript said another. Given that the OWH actually had a tape, listened to it, and are making this point, I would go with them.

About a week ago, about 10 days ago, I said, I went to a couple of the members of the board, who and I don't even really know what those guys do and I said "Hey, you know what, if this guy ain't gonna do his job, and if he doesn't have the balls to go out there and support me, support these kids, support this program, then do me a favor and get rid of me.

Knowing Bo's friendship with a big group of those BoR members, they were never going to be in on any attempt to fire him. After how the Regent members acted post-Iowa last year to protect Bo's job, Bo knew he had certain members in his corner completely. It's one of the major reasons Eichorst completely cut them out of any information related to Bo's firing.

To me, and I should clarify this as JMO, it is a situation where Bo made it 'either him or me'. It would not be the first time Bo has went to Regent members trying to help himself.

(emphasis mine), and that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!

this hurts the program.

I think someone like Bo, who has no filter and just says what he thinks, is telling the truth and not making Sh$# up, however, it could be his own reality but I think there is a ton of truth to what he ranted about, especially the AD pile-on...think about it, TO was the type to come to practices, have conversations, and make personal connections, if Eichorst was never around and didn't communicate with BO, he was bound to get upset and nervous about what that meant...

• Fire 2

this hurts the program.

I guess that is my question. Name one thing he has said that is wrong. Nobody can prove anything he said is wrong. You may not agree, but its not "wrong".

You do/think what ya want. I don't have the patience to explain to you why/how Pelini's perception of things should not be trusted. Good luck.

Bo was wrong to call Nebraska fans "F-ing fair-weather fans." We've packed that stadium every game, every year he's been here, and 40-something years before that. We'll probably pack it 40 more years. That isn't a group of fair-weather fans. I don't blame the people who left that Ohio State game. They were watching a terrible product for the better part of the game. They missed an epic comeback, but they were right in choosing not to watch the team bumble around.

Bo was wrong not to change his defensive philosophies. His team got absolutely embarrassed in the 2011 Big Ten Championship. Three years later with not one player who played a down in that game, he gives up a (then) D1A record to Melvin Gordon.

Bo was wrong to blame that Wisconsin game performance on "the negativity" rather than his inability to prepare the players to play a 60-minute game. That Wisconsin game had NOTHING to do with the fans, the media or Eichorst or Perlman. It had everything to do with Bo's shortcomings as a leader, and to blame ANYTHING but himself is wrong. Hugely wrong.

Bo was wrong when he claimed he pointed the thumb. He clearly blames Eichorst for his failings. Read the transcript, it's right there.

I could go on and on, just about the latter 1/4 of this season, and the days after his termination.

Don't try to sell this "nothing Bo said was wrong." No intelligent person is going to buy that.

• Fire 6

You guys are pu&&y. I like Bo even more.

Look at almost any thread, and if you think you "fans" are not more negative and childish the Bo, your delusional. SE sounds like a complete loser.

Bring it.

I agree about liking Bo more from this, I know that's not popular...and I am glad he's gone, but still nice to see someone who doesn't just do the "company" good-bye and act like everything was fine. Why do we have to be so "PC" all the time, it's like everyone freaks out when someone speaks their mind. If he was working at McDonalds and left that job with a rant like this, we would all say "good job" but when it's a university position and comes with a million dollar salary everyone thinks he has to act a certain way...I like his passion.

• Fire 1

You guys are pu&&y. I like Bo even more.

Look at almost any thread, and if you think you "fans" are not more negative and childish the Bo, your delusional. SE sounds like a complete loser.

Bring it.

I agree about liking Bo more from this, I know that's not popular...and I am glad he's gone, but still nice to see someone who doesn't just do the "company" good-bye and act like everything was fine. Why do we have to be so "PC" all the time, it's like everyone freaks out when someone speaks their mind. If he was working at McDonalds and left that job with a rant like this, we would all say "good job" but when it's a university position and comes with a million dollar salary everyone thinks he has to act a certain way...I like his passion.

Yea he's a super tough guy for speaking his mind behind closed doors and not speaking publicly about how wronged he was.

• Fire 5

this hurts the program.

So his words are automatically correct?

B* P***** was never one for the big picture, so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't understand that you can show support in more ways than one. A square peg doesn't have to be jammed into a triangle hole. And it's easy to spin realities based on what you perceive.