Looks like Banker is the DC

Coach O still available to be Nebraska's DLine coach or is he looking elsewhere

I never understood the push for Orgeron to be DC. I understand he is a great recruiter, but he has never been a DC. He has been a d-line coach, but he has never called defenses during games. Yes, he was a head coach, but he could have been a CEO-type head coach, and given the play-calling responsibilities to his OC and DC.

"All" that anyone says? No. But definitely the first thing that anyone says.

Bottom line: His record was not impressive at Oregon State. At all. Dude is 61 years old. You and I both know that the #1 attribute that brought him to Lincoln was that he is the anti-Bo in the personality department. The rationale is that he will be a class act, will be a good role model for the kids, and help heal the wounds in the program.

I totally get and support that logic, but if the predominant reason you hire Riley as the head coach is not his Xs and Os but his personality, then by that same logic, you have to surround him with elite coaches. I find it very hard to believe that Banker is, coincidentally, the best defensive coordinator for the Nebraska job. I find it even more unlikely given that we have actual data on Banker and it is not bowling anyone over.

I don't give a flying F that it's natural/unremarkable/typical/routine/normal/understandable for coaches to hire guys they are comfortable with. For once in 12 years, can we have a head coach that goes out of his g'damn comfort zone and brings in top-flight coordinators instead of defaulting to the guys he's "comfortable" with? Is that too much to freaking ask?

If Eichorst is a Moneyball guy, I doubt Mike Riley's personality was the #1 thing on his mind. It's a nice thing to have, though, when you're trying to lift a noxious culture like the one enshrouding Lincoln at the moment.

I agree with the second bolded part. I do not care––at all––that it's common practice to keep old faithfuls around; the question is will it work at Nebraska, right now, today? Thing about Banker is he's qualified. Riley was given this job and a part of it is to make these decisions.

Banker may be qualified, but did anyone come knocking while he spent all those years at Oregon State?

"All" that anyone says? No. But definitely the first thing that anyone says.

Bottom line: His record was not impressive at Oregon State. At all. Dude is 61 years old. You and I both know that the #1 attribute that brought him to Lincoln was that he is the anti-Bo in the personality department. The rationale is that he will be a class act, will be a good role model for the kids, and help heal the wounds in the program.

I totally get and support that logic, but if the predominant reason you hire Riley as the head coach is not his Xs and Os but his personality, then by that same logic, you have to surround him with elite coaches. I find it very hard to believe that Banker is, coincidentally, the best defensive coordinator for the Nebraska job. I find it even more unlikely given that we have actual data on Banker and it is not bowling anyone over.

I don't give a flying F that it's natural/unremarkable/typical/routine/normal/understandable for coaches to hire guys they are comfortable with. For once in 12 years, can we have a head coach that goes out of his g'damn comfort zone and brings in top-flight coordinators instead of defaulting to the guys he's "comfortable" with? Is that too much to freaking ask?

If Eichorst is a Moneyball guy, I doubt Mike Riley's personality was the #1 thing on his mind. It's a nice thing to have, though, when you're trying to lift a noxious culture like the one enshrouding Lincoln at the moment.

I agree with the second bolded part. I do not careat allthat it's common practice to keep old faithfuls around; the question is will it work at Nebraska, right now, today? Thing about Banker is he's qualified. Riley was given this job and a part of it is to make these decisions.

Banker may be qualified, but did anyone come knocking while he spent all those years at Oregon State?
USC is the only one I'm aware of.

But the way he does it is more aggression and more 1 gap penetration.

Hmmmm

Foreman talked about it. He likes the DT's to penetrate and disrupt and "spill" the run game to the edges with fast and tenacious pursuit from the linebackers. Takes a lot of mental stress off the back 7 from having to be so technical in the run fit game and it gives them a chance of using the sideline as a 12th defender and not having to be so sound in setting the edge. But the thing is, you gotta have some real tenacious guys at linebacker, and guys that can flat out move. But this type of thing is also rather susceptible to the misdirection I would. But if youre penetrating, and the backside DE is "staying at home" properly, I would think it wouldnt be too bad.

Gotcha.

I definitely believe 1 gap penetration is absolutely crucial to relieving mental stress.