Keaton Kristick - Defensive Quality Control Position

Mavric

I am wondering if Bama and some of the others have been using these extra positions for quite awhile. Bringing Coach Riley does give us the benefit of all his past coaching knowledge. I am all for taking advantage of every rule, not breaking them. I think the SEC has been doing this stuff for a long time. Not a slap at the past staff, just too much to learn, and too many loop holes in the NCAA.

I would say this type of number addition has been going on since the middle of Frank's time here. I am sure Urban takes advantage of every rule there is. That is good coaching, and I think we are seeing what experience brings to the table so far.

From this Denver Post article:

"But overall, a quality control assistant's job is rooted in game preparation. They usually work at least one or two weeks ahead in the regular season.

They prepare the statistical analysis as well as the initial video study of upcoming opponents. The defensive quality control assistant breaks down opposing offenses, including how often they line up in specific formations and how they use various personnel groupings.

He charts down-and-distance situations, field position, substitutions, etc., and then gives that report to the team's defensive staff when they begin their game planning each week during the regular season."

oh yeah, Bo used to do all this in his sleep..........lol

Are we adding more support staff than we have had in the past?

Wondering the same thing. Did Bo have/use this position? Does it count as a staff member?

Pretty sure you can have as many supporting staff as you want. Only 9 actual coaches. So no, he wouldnt be considered part of the coaching staff itself

Correct. Only the 10 guys and GAs can actually coach during practice but you can have basically whatever support staff you want doing off-the-field stuff.

Are we adding more support staff than we have had in the past?

Not sure if it's more staff or just more specific titles. This is really the first one who we didn't have this title before. But we had a bunch of guys with generic titles who more than likely did exactly the same things.

• Fire 1

with the increased use of technology, (hudl for example) i'm surprised there's a need for this

there is software out there for other sports that can break down film for you. i'm sure there's some for football. they'd be able to show you every first down play a team runs, every 2nd & 8, every 3rd & 4. Name the scenario and it'd spit out the tendacies.

with the increased use of technology, (hudl for example) i'm surprised there's a need for this

there is software out there for other sports that can break down film for you. i'm sure there's some for football. they'd be able to show you every first down play a team runs, every 2nd & 8, every 3rd & 4. Name the scenario and it'd spit out the tendacies.

You are right, but there is still a need for someone to analyze this info and summarize it for the coaching staff.

Gathering data (whether it's with tech or humans) and analyzing it are two entirely different things. In a completely unrelated to football example, we have craptons and craptons of DNA info on humans and other species but we don't have enough people to analyze it as quickly as it's being generated.

We absolutely should have statisticians working for the football team. I recall Pelini saying something this year about how he goes with his gut feeling. Unfortunately I don't recall what he was referring to but I remember being annoyed by it and it made me think he probably wouldn't believe in employing someone to do that.

To expand further...maybe consult with Mike Reily on how the defense is performing...what position groups need the most attention, down to coaches, players, etc.

He could always just come here. We would gladly let him know how the defense is performing. We are also more than willing to tell them which coaches and/or players aren't doing well either.

• Fire 1

Saunders,

That is the point, the other high level teams, use every thing they can to get there. I would love to know exactly the number employed for the Bama football team is. My guess is that it dwarfs anything we have done in the past. Here is hoping we have a guy in place that understands this. He saw it at USC, my guess Stanford and certainly at Oregon.

The more non coaching staff doing the things that need to be done, the better. Coaches coach. Recruiters locate/decide interest and coaches close if necessary.

I think we are going to learn a lot about big time football with this hire.

• Fire 1

What we might be seeing here is a reason why Riley's personal pay is lower. If he is going to expand the support staff beyond what we have had, it may be a case of making sure to get people payed for by taking a lower base salary.

But regardless, I really like this kind of expansion of staff members. Stuff like this is why the SEC has been ahead, they exploit every gap in rules to get people working for the football programs, and conferences like ours have lagged behind.

• Fire 1