losing recruits to Michigan?

In the Pac 12 JH definitely had the advantage in terms of Stanford as a football program

Really? Stanford won 1 game the season before Harbaugh arrived......and had several losing seasons in a row prior.

Umm...Stanford as an historical football program has a ..576 all time win/loss record, and had a top 10 finish in each of the past six decades. Bill Walsh and Ty Willingham both had success there in the 90s and early 2000s. Meanwhile, Oregon State is below .500 for their all time win/loss record, and had 38 straight losing seasons before Riley took over. Can you help me understand why you feel that Oregon State had a better football program history than Stanford?

JH is a very good coach and it will take 3 years for him to turn it around. This late hiring time has screwed this years class but the next 2 Michigan will be in the top 3 recruiting classes of the big ten

There is a lot of pressure on JH to turn the program around quickly. This is pressure he didn't have when he took over Stanford or San Francisco. Also, he doesn't have to just make them more respectable...he has to beat Ohio State. That is the threshold that any Michigan coach faces, and unless OSU loses talent soon, I think the love fest Michigan fans currently have with JH will soon disappear.

Your looking at least 4 years before they think anything but positive. Doubt any expect him to beat Ohio State at this time, some will say they do, but deep down, they know how good Ohio State is. Takes time. If he does it in less than 4 years, our recruiting with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan is going to be very rough.

Guys I think we have lost Snyder. Supposedly there will be no in home tonight and instead it will be at his school... That's probably not going to favor us.

Maybe they aren't doing an in-home because they need to use the school's gymnasium to make a really cool commitment video...

In the Pac 12 JH definitely had the advantage in terms of Stanford as a football program

Really? Stanford won 1 game the season before Harbaugh arrived......and had several losing seasons in a row prior.

Umm...Stanford as an historical football program has a ..576 all time win/loss record, and had a top 10 finish in each of the past six decades. Bill Walsh and Ty Willingham both had success there in the 90s and early 2000s. Meanwhile, Oregon State is below .500 for their all time win/loss record, and had 38 straight losing seasons before Riley took over. Can you help me understand why you feel that Oregon State had a better football program history than Stanford?

Stanford had an advantage over Oregon State at the time, but not a huge advantage. Harbaugh took over a pretty horrible team, and as attractive as Stanford is as a recruiting tool, it also means crossing off a ton of prospects who won't meet the academic standards. Walsh and Willingham had their moments, but so did other Pac 12 schools, including OSU's run under Erickson. Stanford also had a small crummy stadium and poor turnout from a less-than-passionate fanbase that had generally accepted mediocrity or worse.

Stanford and OSU enjoyed major turnarounds under Harbaugh and Riley. Good coaches, both. The direct comparisons don't get you much. I'm happy with our guy.

And in this day and age of constant money pooring and renovation and progression in all phases of a program, it's safe to say that what success was had at them places isnt sustainable on a long term consistent basis. I think that's what we saw with Riley at Oregon St. Unless you keep up with the jimmys and joes, youre gonna fall behind. And you cant argue that we may be seeing it with Standford as we speak. Theyre on a downtrend right now. Hell, it's hard enough for bluebloods of college football like the Texas's, Nebraskas, Michigans, Oklahomas, etc to constantly stay on the elite level. How can we expect someone like Stanford or Oregon St to do so.