Rank the Nebraska sports journalists

knapplc

Most informative and level headed: McKewon

Most irritatingly positive (loved by some): Sipple

Most irritatingly negative (loved by some): Chatelain

Most entertaining radio: Sharp and Benning

Most annoying radio but with good guests: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Most missed local guy: Kevin Kugler (glad his career is going well)

This is a good list.

Thought, I'd argue that the most missed local show has to be Schick and Nick. Call me a dork, but that show was hilarious.

Yeah I once emailed the Schick and Nick show to let them know I didn't like the show initially bit it grew on my like a fungus and I started liking it. Matt emailed back that was the funniest compliment they ever got.

In Omaha, the only guys I'm familiar with are Andy Kendeigh and Thor Tripp from KETV and Ross Jernstrom from WOWT.

Agree ^^ Those three are head and shoulders above the rest of the Omaha market sports talent.

Add another name to the Radio mix would be Joe Quinn (ESPN 590 in Omaha)

Best writer, probably McKewon. He can come off as whiny sometimes though. I also think Christopherson is okay at times. Chatelain doesn't bother me nearly as much as he bothers some of you.

The worst: Sipple. I can listen to Sipple talk sometimes, but the way he comes across in some of his writing..I just can't stand it. His views he's shared on the "message board types" rubbed me the wrong way, even though he's probably right about 90% of those people. I also can't forgive how much Bo Pelini he swallowed.

If I listen to sports talk radio it's usually 93.7 The Ticket. It's really the only choice I have because its the only station I can pick up here and even then it cuts out sometimes. Gaskins and Stevens are alright, but the one freaks out a lot and contradicts himself ALL the time. I don't know which one it is though. Mike Welch seems a bit unorganized and thrown together, but I find myself agreeing with a lot of things he says. Others, not so much. I like listening to the old timers on the Legends Radio Show. Murtaugh comes on the show and is hilarious. Some of the other old school Huskers are just tough gritty old timers. Great representatives of the Huskers.

I do stream the Big Red Overreaction show sometimes. Mostly after losses so I can hear people go off the deep end. It's nice to know there's people out there who get pissed off enough for all of us. Man, I thought I took this team serious. Nope. The one guy doesn't bother me, but Benning can be annoying. He seems so calculated and cryptic in the stuff he says. Maybe he has to be that way? I don't know.

As far as television, I like Big Red Wrap-Up. Those guys do an awesome job. Blake Lawrence is probably the one downfall of that show.

I don't waste money on magazines when I can read it all on the web and be done with it.

Faux Pelini and that Tunnel Walk of Shame many of you get into is absolutely stupidity in my opinion. Can't say I've had so much as a laugh or chuckle at either one. Maybe the one time on TWOS when Taylor thought turf toe was when grass grew out from his big toe......I think I laughed.

Andy Kendeigh and Thor Trip are really good. I used to listen to unsportsmanlike conduct religiously when it was kugler and severe, but Bishop is a total garbage can, and Petersen sucks ass about as bad. I do like sharp and benning. Although benning can get annoying at times when he gets to laughing uncontrollably, but has some really good insight's. Callahan has to be on the good list as well.

Best writer, probably McKewon. He can come off as whiny sometimes though. I also think Christopherson is okay at times. Chatelain doesn't bother me nearly as much as he bothers some of you.

The worst: Sipple. I can listen to Sipple talk sometimes, but the way he comes across in some of his writing..I just can't stand it. His views he's shared on the "message board types" rubbed me the wrong way, even though he's probably right about 90% of those people. I also can't forgive how much Bo Pelini he swallowed.

If I listen to sports talk radio it's usually 93.7 The Ticket. It's really the only choice I have because its the only station I can pick up here and even then it cuts out sometimes. Gaskins and Stevens are alright, but the one freaks out a lot and contradicts himself ALL the time. I don't know which one it is though. Mike Welch seems a bit unorganized and thrown together, but I find myself agreeing with a lot of things he says. Others, not so much. I like listening to the old timers on the Legends Radio Show. Murtaugh comes on the show and is hilarious. Some of the other old school Huskers are just tough gritty old timers. Great representatives of the Huskers.

I do stream the Big Red Overreaction show sometimes. Mostly after losses so I can hear people go off the deep end. It's nice to know there's people out there who get pissed off enough for all of us. Man, I thought I took this team serious. Nope. The one guy doesn't bother me, but Benning can be annoying. He seems so calculated and cryptic in the stuff he says. Maybe he has to be that way? I don't know.

As far as television, I like Big Red Wrap-Up. Those guys do an awesome job. Blake Lawrence is probably the one downfall of that show.

I don't waste money on magazines when I can read it all on the web and be done with it.

Faux Pelini and that Tunnel Walk of Shame many of you get into is absolutely stupidity in my opinion. Can't say I've had so much as a laugh or chuckle at either one. Maybe the one time on TWOS when Taylor thought turf toe was when grass grew out from his big toe......I think I laughed.

yes. I think Benning has to be that way. He coaches at a local high school (working with kids) and he's also got a lot of connections at the University being a former player, part time reporter for BTN, etc. So that's why I think it seems like he's always trying to make for damn sure that he can get his point across so that it doesnt get midinterpreted. at time when talking about controversial issues-like when Bo was fired or the audio II came out-he'll even ask Sharpe "can I read that" or "I cant say this". I think Benning is pretty smart and knows his position.

that Severe guy is a tool but he probably counts as one

I know Severe works for the World Herald, but he does some podcast thing, right?

All of them look great bc Dirk sucks so bad.

I've never shied away from criticizing Dirk, but I reserve my criticism for his tactics & topics. He's a good writer, he's a good journalist, and I really like his writing voice. I also really like listening to him when he does radio. He knows his stuff & he usually brings some insight that I haven't thought of.

A lot of the criticism of Dirk & Sipple is based on personal biases (I'm guilty myself) but both are very good journalists. I think the criticism of both goes over the top too often.

• Fire 1

Going off of the well-known people:

Newspaper: McKewon > Christopherson > Chatelain >>>>>>> Sipple

Television: Sean callahan isn't that bad, kendeigh and thor tripp are pretty good.

Radio: Sharp & Benning > Severe > Vrzal/Foreman >Gaskins & Stephens = Welch > Bahe. S&B is most entertaining. Severe is fun to listen too and gaskins is also a pretty informative radio host. Bahe is annoying.

Dont know much about the magazines or "web-based"

Newspaper:

1. McKewon (by far)

2. Steve Sipple

3. Tom Shatel

4. Brian Christopherson

5. Nyatawa

6. Chatelain

Radio:

1. Severe (fairly easily)

2. Sharp & Benning

3. The rest, don't really enjoy any others.

Social media is how a large percentage of us get sports information, so how about "best to follower" on Twitter as a category (local media only)?

Twitter:

1. McKewon

2. Sean Callahan

3. Mike Schaefer

4. Brian Christopherson

5. Nate Clouse

6. Severe

Andy Kendeigh and Thor Trip are really good. I used to listen to unsportsmanlike conduct religiously when it was kugler and severe, but Bishop is a total garbage can, and Petersen sucks ass about as bad. I do like sharp and benning. Although benning can get annoying at times when he gets to laughing uncontrollably, but has some really good insight's. Callahan has to be on the good list as well.

Kendeigh ticked me off week leading to Wiscy game when he said its a battle of the big reds and winner should wear red the following year regardless of location.

I know he doesn't cover day-to-day sports, but Randy York is by far my favorite sports writer. I soak up what he has to read, usually it's an article deeper than the play or the game and I've learned a lot of Husker history too. Most enjoyable author tied to Nebraska athletics.

that Severe guy is a tool but he probably counts as one

I know Severe works for the World Herald, but he does some podcast thing, right?

All of them look great bc Dirk sucks so bad.

I've never shied away from criticizing Dirk, but I reserve my criticism for his tactics & topics. He's a good writer, he's a good journalist, and I really like his writing voice. I also really like listening to him when he does radio. He knows his stuff & he usually brings some insight that I haven't thought of.

A lot of the criticism of Dirk & Sipple is based on personal biases (I'm guilty myself) but both are very good journalists. I think the criticism of both goes over the top too often.

I agree with this. You can't argue that Dirk isn't a solid writer, and overall, an intelligent person. As you said, it's the way he goes about his work that I don't care for.

I never did understand the criticism of Sipple. Is there something wrong with being optimistic about the team you cover? I have always thought that he was really good at reserving judgment, and being critical when he had to be.

I don't feel Sipple really reserved much judgment. He was passionately in defense of Pelini, and that seemed to bleed over into everything he did, opinion piece or not. At least that was my perception, which could be unfair.

When it came to opinion pieces, he didn't seem a very insightful football guy. But, he does write well, and being a good writer who has access to the coaches, he often did and does come out with articles well worthy of reading.

Chatelain gets a lot of ire and I think that comes from Bo's visible anger with him. A lot of fans who really were in Bo's corner directed some serious anger at the guy (and in the opposite way, for Sip. Crazy how it gets, right? They're just journalists.) But for his part, Dirk seems to revel in that bad guy status, and likes stirring the pot. Which is also kinda his job, I suppose, but doesn't totally endear him to people.