Rank the Nebraska sports journalists

knapplc

The latest Dirk thread got me thinking - where would we all rank the local sports media? I don't spend a ton of time reading stuff from other teams' beat reporters, but I tend to think I know good journalism and I think we're pretty lucky to have some really good journalists here at Nebraska.

There are several categories to choose from, and tons of sources. Help me remember who all would be in this conversation, and which category they would most likely belong in.

Newspaper

Omaha World-Herald: Sam McKewon, Dirk Chatelain, Jon Nyatawa, Tom Shatel, Lee Barfknecht

Lincoln JournalStar: Steve Sipple, Brian Christopherson, Brian Rosenthal, Brent Wagner

Any other newspapers?

Television

I have no idea who covers sports in the local TV news stations. I never watch local news.

Radio

93.7FM - Gaskins & Stevens, Fiala, Mike Welch & Jake Bockoven

1620AM - Tons of guys here but I don't listen to this station. Help me out. Nick Bahe, John Bishop...

I know there are more stations out there. Does 1480 have local programming or are they only a national syndicate?

John Baylor does the Husker Volleyball games. Kent Pavelka does basketball. Would you count those guys, or would they be in a different category?

Magazines

Hail Varsity: Grant Muessel, Brandon Vogel, Erin Sorensen

Huskers Illustrated:

Web-based

This may be nebulous, but I'm thinking of guys like Husker Mike (Husker Mike's Blasphemy) and/or Dave Feit. Corn Fed Sports, Corn Nation, that kind of thing.

Would/should there be a category for web personalities/entertainment, like Tunnel Walk of Shame or Faux Pelini?

Newspaper

Sam McKewon

Brian Christopherson
Steve Sipple
Brian Rosenthal
Tom Shatel
(23 other guys)
Dirk Chatelain

I don't watch Nebraska TV or listen to local radio since I live away from the state. So I can't really comment on those.

• Fire 1

McKewon is the best. Hands down. Sipple is probably the worst.

This ^

I like Shatel all right but his articles don't focus on what interests me (w/r/t Nebraska football). The rest of these guys haven't made an impression. To elaborate somewhat on Sipple, it just seems like he doesn't know football and he's afraid to commit to having any opinion that might be unpopular in the least. Some of that opinion comes from having listened to him on 1620 fairly often. He likes to play the Sgt. Schultz card whenever it's allowed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

p.s. - The Tunnel Walk of Shame dude is great and everyone loves Faux. That Huskers Gameday handle was associated with some choice Twitter stupidity, iirc - speaking to taking sides over Bo.

you'd have to include callahan and those guys in there somewhere. but my vote would be for Sip #1 of all.

Yeah, I like Sean Callahan. He works for rivals.com doing the huskeronline stuff. Probly more web-based than newspaper. But the distinction between web-based and newspapers seems to be a gray area these days.

In Lincoln, the sports directors for 1011 and Channel 8 are Kevin Sjuts and Brett Edwards, respectively. Sjuts was named the Nebraska Sports Broadcaster of the Year last year. He's pretty talented.

In Omaha, the only guys I'm familiar with are Andy Kendeigh and Thor Tripp from KETV and Ross Jernstrom from WOWT. Kendeigh was named the most recent Nebraska Sports Broadcaster of the Year and I find him to be pretty good at what he does. I also like Thor quite a bit and he is without question one of the best sports shooters in the state.

I would venture a guess to say a good portion of the local news audience doesn't frequent Huskerboard, so I don't think you're alone.

Most informative and level headed: McKewon

Most irritatingly positive (loved by some): Sipple

Most irritatingly negative (loved by some): Chatelain

Most entertaining radio: Sharp and Benning

Most annoying radio but with good guests: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Most missed local guy: Kevin Kugler (glad his career is going well)

This is a good list.

Thought, I'd argue that the most missed local show has to be Schick and Nick. Call me a dork, but that show was hilarious.

• Fire 1

Most informative and level headed: McKewon

Most irritatingly positive (loved by some): Sipple

Most irritatingly negative (loved by some): Chatelain

Most entertaining radio: Sharp and Benning

Most annoying radio but with good guests: Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Most missed local guy: Kevin Kugler (glad his career is going well)

Good compilation, but I would add one more category.............Most consistently irritating........

"Game Time" with Nick Bahe............Sophomoric and screeching..........especially when he adds old buddy Schtick as a guest.......

• Fire 1