Lottery is up to $500 Million - How would you spend it?

Some friends and I started a small pool for the lottery since it is up so high. There are 6 of us and we all put in $6 so we have 36 tickets for the drawing. Now since we are obviously going to win, I was thinking of how I would spend all the money I will soon have and so it prompted the following question: If you won the lottery, how would you spend the money? It can be a multitude of items or just one item in particular that you would really like but is completely out of the question without an enormous sum of money.

I'm not sure what these cost exactly but I would probably have to buy one just because of how ridiculous they are (and they're street legal):

aVOKAZM_700b_v1.jpg

This is fun to dream about. But, in reality, this kind of money makes the people who win it many times miserable and for some, it has totally ruined their lives. So, really, you need to look at it as a huge responsibility and the chance to actually do some good with it.

You're going to end up with around $250,000,000 after taxes. I plan to take enough of it that I can basically live off of (very nicely) what it earns. Not Bill Gates kind of living but enough that I can do what I want and not have to worry about bills.

So, Let's say that's $50,000,000. I have $200,000,000 left. Maybe take a few million and help people I know and care about.

So, that would leave maybe $190,000,000.

The rest would go into a foundation. I would appoint a board of directors to manage the resources of that foundation. They would be put there with the task to take the earnings off of that $190,000,000 and do something good with it for the community and people in it.

And, yes.....with the $50,000,000 I keep for myself, I would have a nice house, new car for my wife and me, season tickets (possibly a suite) boat and one heck of a lot of new hunting ground in central Nebraska chuckleshuffle:nanalama:horns2

I'd travel to all the places I've always wanted to see. All the major archeological sites, all the major foodie/wine places, I'd spend several months in Ireland, stuff like that. Such a huge world I want to see.

I'd build a house, with a kick-ass custom kitchen focused mostly on room (and not on gadgets) with an outdoor kitchen just outside with a brick oven. I'd have several big, wide rooms with plenty of comfy furniture, but I wouldn't have a HUGE house because it'd be wasteful and gluttony isn't my thing. I'd have guest rooms, but a guest house, too, so I didn't have to have umpteen dozen people in my house. My property would have an old barn on it because barns are awesome. I've always loved dusty old barns that smelled of soil & hay. No livestock, though. That's another smell entirely.

I'd finish college. Not because I'd need an education to earn money, but because I'd like to be able to go back and finish what I failed to do years ago.

I'd start a non-profit charity, and hold a position. Not sure which charity, or which position I'd hold (certainly not a very high position, I'd like it to be an effective charity & I have no idea how to run that). I'd want to have something to do, and I'm not an entrepreneur and I have no major brainiac ideas on how to build a better mousetrap. But a charity would do people some good, and I wouldn't be a net "taker" if I did something like that.

I'd buy a decent, but not crazy, car. Something fun to drive but not so ridiculous that I'd be terrified to drive it here in Nebraska. Potholes and nutjob 16-county drivers, ya know.

I'd still live in Nebraska, of course. I'd probably have a house in Oregon on the coast, or maybe NorCal, and probably another in southern France. Both quite modest, regular homes that I could crash in for vacation anytime I want.

I'd tell the owners of HuskerBoard to name their price, I'd write them a check and become the new owner, and I'd make up t-shirts and give every member a free shirt after 1,000 rep points.

• Fire 2

Some friends and I started a small pool for the lottery since it is up so high. There are 6 of us and we all put in $6 so we have 36 tickets for the drawing. Now since we are obviously going to win, I was thinking of how I would spend all the money I will soon have and so it prompted the following question: If you won the lottery, how would you spend the money? It can be a multitude of items or just one item in particular that you would really like but is completely out of the question without an enormous sum of money.

I'm not sure what these cost exactly but I would probably have to buy one just because of how ridiculous they are (and they're street legal):

aVOKAZM_700b_v1.jpg

I would spend my money on ammunition to shoot the tires out of vehicles like this.

• Fire 1

The key is to move somewhere cheap, where you won't have to worry about blowing all of your money. Staying in the States would be ridiculous unless you lived somewhere live Nebraska, Idaho, Montana, etc. Everyone will know who you are if you stay here. People would be constantly begging you for money. Whereas, if you moved to Europe or Latin America, you would be just another guy. You wouldn't have to worry about being robbed, targeted, etc. One thing that would suck would be attending sporting events. Obviously, you couldn't go to a Husker game anymore or your favorite MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA team. I would probably go back and forth between Spain and Italy.

aVOKAZM_700b_v1.jpg

I would spend my money on ammunition to shoot the tires out of vehicles like this.

Haha that's fair. It is a pretty douchey vehicle and not really my style but I think the fun that could be had in that thing would be worth it.