So Mad you Turned off the Game

Last year's 2014 Wisconsin game was the first time I turned off the tv and stopped watching since Callahan's 2007 season. Which I guess that should have been a sign of things to come for Bo. I probably turned off the tv 2 or 3 times during Callahan's last year.

That's exactly when did it and it wasn't because of the play on the field. I knew from watching the head coach on the side lines he was going to have zero chance of getting the players heads back in the game and correcting the problems.

The 2014 Wisconsin game I gave up on, I had to. My heart couldn't take it anymore. After 6 seasons of supporting Bo I just didn't have it in me to watch a performance like that. The 2011 Wisconsin game I went outside and smoked a stogie and listened on the radio, came back and watched in disgust. Strangely I watched the entire 2011 Michigan game and laughed while watching my beloved team stumblefudge around the field.

I usually can't walk away from the game but man, this last season and the one before it really tried my patience and fandom. Luckily this season brings a new set of challenges, goals and optimism so maybe the passion will be back.

If I remember right, 2011 Michigan was the first game I ever turned off in my life. The team quit and clearly didn't care anymore, so I wondered why I sat there caring so much. I've turned off a couple of games since then. I think they were both Wisconsin games. The 70 point defensive guru jamboree in 2012 and I think the other was this last defensive guru special that we allowed 408 yards to one running back.

I kind of have to thank Bo Pelini. I never thought I'd ever be able to quit cheering and walk away from a game, but he showed me that I can. It made me feel a lot better instead of sitting there continuing to watch and being miserable. I can honestly say, I still love Husker football, but I don't care nearly as much as I did before Pelini came here. A part of that Husker pride died in me.

I was at the UCLA game when they came back and scored something like 35 unanswered points in the second half on the old defensive guru. I stayed the whole time for that one. It was my daughter and it's first game together. Talk about a let down. I just couldn't get up and walk out though, even though quite a few did around us.

I don't know if I could ever walk out of the stadium early, but turning off the tv is definitely okay for me now.

The first time I attempted was 1997 Mizzou. I did come back to finish the game though, it was hard for me to turn it off the first time.

After that, I didn't do it again until 2001 Colorado, and then again in that NC game vs. Miami. Those were truly ones I couldn't finish.

I didn't feel that was again until the 2012 Big Ten Championship game.

I feel differently about it now. Football is just such a short season, only 12 regular season games, it'll be hard for me to do it again. There has been some awesome comebacks I have watched. Heck, 2012 was hard until it was seriously impossible for a comeback.

I went to school in Boulder and I was in the stadium for the 'end of an era' game against the Buffs in '01.

35 - 3....gaping holes every time CU ran the ball. I was among the Buff faithful in my blood red coat.

I left at the half. Went home. Didn't turn on the radio or TV the rest of the day.

I've turned the TV off before...but for those that say you can't exactly walk out on a game when you're in the stadium..I respectfully disagree.

...but for those that say you can't exactly walk out on a game when you're in the stadium..I respectfully disagree.

I think you misunderstood.

Some people can sit there and watch the disappointment longer than others. I'm none too proud to say my first game I attended was '04 Colorado, left at half time. I would say that was wrong of me but the team barely showed up in the first place so.....

I've also left the '08 Mizzou game early. Waited for them to score one more time to make it almost salvageable.....finally gave up midway through 4th and left. Turn on radio in car, they just scored. Oh well, we lost like 87 to -20 if I remember correctly.

Also left the 2010 Texas game midway through 4th. I was so beyond disgusted with football at that point, I couldn't even form a rational thought. Walking out some guy said "Hey we recovered and scored I hear!" I made a fast jerk motion with my hand and another guy said "EXACTLY!"

But, I have stayed for the bitter ones as well. Stayed for the full slaughters that were 2013 MSU and 2013 Iowa. Felt obligated, don't know why. Also stayed for the full 2014 Minnysoda game, although that was mostly for my Brother since it was his first game.

All in all its almost easier for me to leave the game early when it's clear the team has given up. Once you leave, it's over. If you turn the TV off or channel surf, you know damn well you will find a way to check back in and get even more disgusted. Ya know the worst thing about all of this is as I'm typing this I am growing more and more disgusted with everything that has transpired during my time as a husker super fan. Life was so much simpler when I was a casual fan. This FAN-ATIC stuff is really kind of depressing when you look at everything that was and compare it to what we have now. I need a drink.........and for September to get here so the wounds can begin to hopefully heal.

Please Coach Riley, don't pour salt in our wounds. We are a fragile bunch round these parts, we need nurturing.......and trophies.

2014 Wisconsin was the first for me.

Just prior to the game my 9 year old wanted me to play something with him, told him "Not now, my game is on."

After Wisky scored on a long run by MG to tie the score at 14, I shut it off and went to play with 9 year old. He asked if my game was over, I replied "Yep."

Later when my phone buzzed with the ESPN alert for the 408, I was glad I missed that.

• Fire 1

2014 Wisconsin was the first for me.

Just prior to the game my 9 year old wanted me to play something with him, told him "Not now, my game is on."

After Wisky scored on a long run by MG to tie the score at 14, I shut it off and went to play with 9 year old. He asked if my game was over, I replied "Yep."

Later when my phone buzzed with the ESPN alert for the 408, I was glad I missed that.

You're lucky. I'll never be able to erase that from the memory banks.

Imagine being a player on that defense. A "Blackshirts" defense allows 408? Hell, nah. Those were no Blackshirts.

That one will be brought up every time we play them for the rest of eternity. Damn, it's like I'm reliving it now. Ugh.

408 yards allowed by one player

70 points allowed by one team

Losing your first conference game in your new home in blowout fashion

Wisconsin has a lot of reason to think of us as their beyotch. If there is one thing Mike Riley can do for me during his tenure as Husker HC, it would be take the Huskers to Camp Randall and blow the Bagers out of the stadium. Im talking 60-13 blowout with 2nd string playing a majority of the second half. Do that and I will love you forever.

• Fire 3