247: Biggest Surprises from the Combine - Randy Gregory

Mavric

Randy Gregory Looks Like an Outside Linebacker:

Heading into this combine weekend I personally felt that Nebraska's Randy Gregory was the best pure defensive end in this draft class. His closing speed is elite, he has great length and terrific hand techniques. He's not as big as you'd like to see in a 4-3 defensive end, but he plays with good leverage and surprising toughness for someone known as a pass-rusher. If a team drafts him as a 4-3 defensive end that can still work out, especially if he puts on a bit more weight; but Gregory certainly had the look of an outside linebacker today at the NFL combine; specifically a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Coming into the combine he's been listed closer to 6-foot-6, 6-foot-7, 245 pounds, but he checked in at 6-foot-5, 235 pounds in Indianapolis. He still has great length and he went out and ran a good 40 (4.64), but where he really showed off was in linebacker drills. He displayed quick feet, great agility, the ability to move around quickly in open space and a pretty fluid backpedal—all things you look for in an outside linebacker.

In a 3-4 scheme, especially at SAM linebacker, Gregory will still be able to use his ability to get after the quarterback as an edge rusher, but it will be a bit easier for him to maneuver around in open space where he won't have to lock up with bigger stronger linemen.

Again, it's worth noting that Gregory could still be a 4-3 defensive end, but after his leaner, quicker, more athletic showing today at the combine—he certainly fits the bill of an elite outside linebacker.

Link

Absurd people call out this kids effort. He played hard and hurt against situations where teams would take him out of the equation with scheme and personnel. He was a huge reason we were so good on 3rd downs this year, even if he wasnt sacking the quarterback on the play his impact was very easy to notice. I will miss seeing Gregory lining up for us on Saturdays and will enjoy watching him terrorize qb's on Sunday. Most fans appreciate what you did at your time hear at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Our rush defense finished the season ranked #77. We finished the season ranked around #50 in sacks. Exactly how did Randy's absorbing double and triple teams help the DL?

Intentional changing of scheme to take away a player is more applicable to Pass situations. It is hard to drastically change blocking schemes on run plays to take certain players out of the game. You cant triple team a guy on power bc you wont have the ability to get a hat on a hat. Our lack of rush defense was mostly the fault of having JV linebackers playing and being 2 high against very heavy offensive run personnel. Cant say a guy didnt have a huge impact in other teams rushing attack by throwing out 1 statistic (that is a little misleading do to 1 huge game by Wisconsin.)

Gregory had a case of the Clowney's this year and it was noticeable. I loved that he played for the Huskers but I also feel that he didn't give his all while here.

I didn't really notice this from him until our teams season goals went bye bye. Couple that with nagging injuries and I can understand somewhat his reasoning.

Sometimes he'd pull himself out because a minor injury and then go back in a series or two later.

Sometimes he'd look a little gassed on the sideline.

I couldn't decide if he was a warrior or just out of condition, but he missed enough games and plays to raise a (small) red flag.