Spring Practice Updates

Mavric

There is no commentary here, simply passing along observations from a knowledgeable practice observer:

Riley is the CEO - does very little coaching at practice.

Read only coaches special teams. No coaching the rest of practice.

Stanton looks terrible.

Staff hasn't figured out how to handle this many guys yet. Lots of standing around.

I guess Riley letting his guys do what they do kinda makes sense but I would wager he is more involved than that suggests.

Oh kay?

I kind of believe Stanton not looking good. Barely any mentions of him thus far. Really a damn shame he didn't pan out, guessing he transfers.

That last bit sounds like BS.

Football practice has a lot of standing around, it really does. Shoot I have had rosters of 20-40 player and there is standing around. The idea that you are using every second of practice all the time is crazy.

You do your cals, your indy time and team time. Once you get to team time there are lots of players standing around.

With that said, I would think a staff with 300 years of coaching experience would find better ways, like they did with the split up of the players at the start (which I think might be part of the reason that the offense looks horrible right now)

There is no commentary here, simply passing along observations from a knowledgeable practice observer:

Riley is the CEO - does very little coaching at practice.

Read only coaches special teams. No coaching the rest of practice.

Stanton looks terrible.

Staff hasn't figured out how to handle this many guys yet. Lots of standing around.

But they have so much experience....

Mav- what do you think then...do you see Stanton being the QB that transfers? You got to figure he's young enough to go somewhere else and we could definitely use the space at QB to pick up a pocket passer recruit

I've said since the end of last season that we'd have at least one QB transfer and maybe two. I thought whoever is third out of TA, Stanton and Darlington would transfer. Not sure if that's Darlington or Stanton now. And I wasn't counting on Bush pushing all the way to #2.

We simply have too many young arms for someone to NOT transfer. If Darlington and Stanton are behind TA (started for almost two years, still two years left) and Bush (younger), it wouldn't surprise me for either or both of them to leave.

Mav- what do you think then...do you see Stanton being the QB that transfers? You got to figure he's young enough to go somewhere else and we could definitely use the space at QB to pick up a pocket passer recruit

I've said since the end of last season that we'd have at least one QB transfer and maybe two. I thought whoever is third out of TA, Stanton and Darlington would transfer. Not sure if that's Darlington or Stanton now. And I wasn't counting on Bush pushing all the way to #2.

We simply have too many young arms for someone to NOT transfer. If Darlington and Stanton are behind TA (started for almost two years, still two years left) and Bush (younger), it wouldn't surprise me for either or both of them to leave.

Here is the words from my practice source. Stanton has no confidence. He throws the ball well, but having issues reading the defense and then holds the ball too long. Darlington is making progress. Bush is a stud athlete, but like Tommy is having trouble with the short pass. Fyfe appears to be the most unhappy QB this spring.

Here is the words from my practice source. Stanton has no confidence. He throws the ball well, but having issues reading the defense and then holds the ball too long. Darlington is making progress. Bush is a stud athlete, but like Tommy is having trouble with the short pass. Fyfe appears to be the most unhappy QB this spring.

Doesnt Fyfe have the least to be unhappy about?

He is not getting the reps he thinks he should be and there is question whether his scholarship has been renewed.

He is not getting the reps he thinks he should be and there is question whether his scholarship has been renewed.

I'm hoping his wasn't renewed.

Pretty much what I've seen as well. Almost like Stanton is trying too hard. Won't turn it loose. Has always had trouble getting through his reads.

Darlington looking good but lacks arm strength.

Bush isn't up with TA now but is ahead of where TA was as a RSFrosh.

Pretty much what I've seen as well. Almost like Stanton is trying too hard. Won't turn it loose. Has always had trouble getting through his reads.

Darlington looking good but lacks arm strength.

Bush isn't up with TA now but is ahead of where TA was as a RSFrosh.

It's all about coaching these boys up. I am hopeful that the new regime can do much better than the old, of course it will not take much.

LJS Red Report

"No offense to Bo (Pelini) or anything, but in his defense, the defensive linemen were there to take up blocks and make the linebackers free," Valentine said. "In this defense, it's kind of based around us. We get to play freely. We get to attack more. I feel like I can make more plays, honestly."

Sounds like the DTs are a real strength of the team.

That was kind of an insane strategy considering he rarely played more than 1 or 2 LBs and never made it much of a recruiting emphasis for most of the time he was here.

Let's take the defensive line out of the game to make room for the linebackers we don't have.

Completely asinine IMO

That was kind of an insane strategy considering he rarely played more than 1 or 2 LBs and never made it much of a recruiting emphasis for most of the time he was here.

Let's take the defensive line out of the game to make room for the linebackers we don't have.

Quite the opposite was the plan in the scheme. If the DLine is taking up all the blockers then it makes your subpar LB's job much easier. If your DL is shooting gaps and doing too much penetration then your LB's will have to get off blocks and make plays instead of just fitting their gap of responsibility. More aggressive DL play makes your LB have to play better. Keeping your LB's clean can make any LB look good. Heck Roach had like 18 tackles 1 game. It is not bc he was playing well, it was bc he was not getting blocked.

• Fire 2

Quite the opposite was the plan in the scheme. If the DLine is taking up all the blockers then it makes your subpar LB's job much easier. If your DL is shooting gaps and doing too much penetration then your LB's will have to get off blocks and make plays instead of just fitting their gap of responsibility. More aggressive DL play makes your LB have to play better. Keeping your LB's clean can make any LB look good. Heck Roach had like 18 tackles 1 game. It is not bc he was playing well, it was bc he was not getting blocked.

This is true if the LBs are sitting & reading the offense, but it sounds like that they will be playing aggressive & filling gaps before the backs can make a move up field.

I guess it sounds good in theory, but it doesn't really work that way. It's always been the most disruptive defensive linemen that draw the double or triple teams, and eat at up more blockers, and always will be.
  • Fire 1