The Shadow on Bill Clinton's Portrait

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I didn't like Clinton as president, I always thought he was slimy, but this kind of thing, I think, is also pretty slimy.

Artist: Lewinsky shadows over Clinton portrait

"The reality is he's probably the most famous liar of all time," Shanks said. "He and his administration did some very good things, of course, but I could never get this Monica thing completely out of my mind and it is subtly incorporated in the painting."

"If you look at the left-hand side of it there's a mantle in the Oval Office and I put a shadow coming into the painting and it does two things," he said. "It actually literally represents a shadow from a blue dress that I had on a mannequin, that I had there while I was painting it, but not when he was there. It is also a bit of a metaphor in that it represents a shadow on the office he held, or on him."

The portrait in question:

ENXGm3z.jpg

Sure doesn't seem like a good way to get more presidential portrait work. I was never a huge Clinton fan but this strikes me as being a little petty and uncalled for. I think the "shadows" and "stains" on his presidency will endure on their own merit without Mr. Axetogrind Artist throwing in his 2 bits.

• Fire 1

I call BS. So, he went to the oval office to paint a portrait of Clinton was there to have his portrait painted. Then, he snuck back in with a mannequin and a blue dress to set it up and create a shadow?

BS....BS....BS.....

There is no way security would let him into the oval office with a mannequin and a blue dress without an uproar being caused.

What a loser.

"I never could get this Monica thing out of my mind?"

Of the problems I had with Bill Clinton, Monica Lewinksky was nowhere on the list.

If you can be surprised and hurt that a President had an extra-marital affair, you haven't been paying attention to American history.

If you were an adult in 1991, before the man even got elected, you knew he dug himself some extra-curricular trim.

The reason that blue dress hung over Bill Clinton's head is because Republican operatives literally paid to hang it there. The government ground to a halt but Clinton's approval rating actually went up a tick.

I dont dabble much in the P&R forums but are we really pretending Clinton is the only President to have an affair? Sure, adultery is wrong but I would bet money that 90% of the men who have taken office have stayed.

90%??? I doubt that very much. But, it's enough that this shouldn't be a surprise.

Even though at the time I was a staunch Republican, I never supported the entire impeachment crap. There were much more important things to deal with and if you didn't already know he was a slime ball then you were blind.

That said, (and I say this about anyone who cheats on their spouse) I don't trust him one bit. That entire episode showed how easy it was for him to lie to both his wife and the public. Bastard just got caught and I don't think he was sorry at all. I never have liked Clinton nor his wife and I don't trust either one of them. I didn't feel sorry for the guy one bit. He got what he deserved but it was bad for the country.

90% might be high but they are the "most powerful men in the country" so I dont doubt for a minute its not possible. Plus a lot of the early presidents had mistresses and children with slaves.

The impeachment was unnecessary. Exactly, there were more important things going on in the world than his personal infidelities. Those matters should stay private anyway.

90% might be high but they are the "most powerful men in the country" so I dont doubt for a minute its not possible. Plus a lot of the early presidents had mistresses and children with slaves.

The impeachment was unnecessary. Exactly, there were more important things going on in the world than his personal infidelities. Those matters should stay private anyway.

Technically the impeachment was necessary as he lied to a federal grand jury.

What wasn't necessary was the federal grand jury asking him the questions about his infidelity in the first place.

• Fire 1

Technically the impeachment was necessary as he lied to a federal grand jury.

What wasn't necessary was the federal grand jury asking him the questions about his infidelity in the first place.

However, didn't it all start wt Paula Jones - didn't she file suite against Clinton for harassment (thus it is goes beyond a 'marital' issue). Isn't that which got the whole grand jury thing going (I may be going from faulty memory). Regardless, once he lied to a fed grand jury - he set the path