Spring Quarterback Competition

It doesn't matter to me who ultimately wins the battle for quarterback. I expect Riley to develop him and I expect our offensive numbers, which were already good, to get even better. I'm not interested in hearing anything about transitions to another system.....Riley can allegedly adapt to the talent he has. The square peg into a round hole should not be a discussion necessary with this staff.

It doesn't matter to me who ultimately wins the battle for quarterback. I expect Riley to develop him and I expect our offensive numbers, which were already good, to get even better. I'm not interested in hearing anything about transitions to another system.....Riley can allegedly adapt to the talent he has. The square peg into a round hole should not be a discussion necessary with this staff.

I think that we all know there will not be any adapting by the coaches...It is the players that will have to adapt or not play.

My biggest wish in the coaching search was a hot-shot OC who'd bring his stud 2015 QB recruit with him.

Since we didn't get that, I'd definitely be looking on the transfer market.

All that said, I don't know that they really need to change their system all that much. They've already said - and been practicing - they'd incorporate more QB run (zone read) than they've ever used. And their system *can* run the ball a lot. They've just been pretty pass-happy the last few years. Lean heavier on the run game and the defense and see what happens.

"Lean heavier on the run game and the defense", that sounds familiar. I think we've been trying that formula around here for a long time. I think what every Nebraska fan is learning, including myself, is that the passing game will always be vital to success. Not necessarily how much we throw it, but being effective WHEN we throw it.

It's time Nebraska becomes like every other successful team in the game right now and finds a QB who can sling it when needed.

I'm still thinking Tommy can be that guy but it sure doesn't sound like he's blowing anybody away so far this spring.

I agree. But if we don't have a QB who can provide a consistent passing game, I'd rather take my chances running it than throwing it.

Yea, that's true. So then we're back to the question marks at RB because we sure as hell don't have a warrior like Ameer Abdullah coming back.

We've truly got a lot of question marks heading into this season. Which is pretty much the norm.

How do you know for sure your first paragraph?

I think that we all know there will not be any adapting by the coaches...It is the players that will have to adapt or not play.

We do?

My biggest wish in the coaching search was a hot-shot OC who'd bring his stud 2015 QB recruit with him.

Since we didn't get that, I'd definitely be looking on the transfer market.

All that said, I don't know that they really need to change their system all that much. They've already said - and been practicing - they'd incorporate more QB run (zone read) than they've ever used. And their system *can* run the ball a lot. They've just been pretty pass-happy the last few years. Lean heavier on the run game and the defense and see what happens.

"Lean heavier on the run game and the defense", that sounds familiar. I think we've been trying that formula around here for a long time. I think what every Nebraska fan is learning, including myself, is that the passing game will always be vital to success. Not necessarily how much we throw it, but being effective WHEN we throw it.

It's time Nebraska becomes like every other successful team in the game right now and finds a QB who can sling it when needed.

I'm still thinking Tommy can be that guy but it sure doesn't sound like he's blowing anybody away so far this spring.

I agree. But if we don't have a QB who can provide a consistent passing game, I'd rather take my chances running it than throwing it.

Yea, that's true. So then we're back to the question marks at RB because we sure as hell don't have a warrior like Ameer Abdullah coming back.

We've truly got a lot of question marks heading into this season. Which is pretty much the norm.

How do you know for sure your first paragraph?
We may never have a warrior like that again. I guess I just think that guy was a pretty amazing talent. Not really a knock on anybody we have here now but more credit to Abdullah. There just aren't too many guys out there like him. Hopefully the offensive line improves and makes things looks easier for the next guy that takes over at RB because honestly, I think Abdullah fought for nearly every yard he got.

The guy was spectacular. A worker. Pretty hard for anybody to live up to that and I don't think anyone will.

We do?

Yeah, we do.

I would be kind of crazy for Riley and Langy to toss out some 40 years of coaching experience in one system that they believe in.

Kinda telling of the scouting and recruiting of the position under Pelini. I won't hold out much hope of solid QB play until Riley gets some of his own guys in. Bush might have a chance at developing, since he has a lot of time left.

Not expecting much there this year.

Riley recruited Stanton to Oregon State. Is that kind of telling about Riley's scouting and recruiting?

We do?

Yeah, we do.

I would be kind of crazy for Riley and Langy to toss out some 40 years of coaching experience in one system that they believe in.

I read that Riley and Langsdorf were not thrilled about QB accuracy in yesterdays breezy practice. I certainly hope Riley listened to the key piece of wisdom that Osborne directly gave him.

We do?

Yeah, we do.

I read that Riley and Langsdorf were not thrilled about QB accuracy in yesterdays breezy practice. I certainly hope Riley listened to the key piece of wisdom that Osborne directly gave him.

Me too!

Kinda telling of the scouting and recruiting of the position under Pelini. I won't hold out much hope of solid QB play until Riley gets some of his own guys in. Bush might have a chance at developing, since he has a lot of time left.

Riley recruited Stanton to Oregon State. Is that kind of telling about Riley's scouting and recruiting?
Telling how?

Ummm....Bo Pelini recruited Stanton to Nebraska also.......(ya know....the school Stanton is attending right now....) So what exatlyis the point you're trying to make? Is it that Bo is equally as terrible a recruiter at Nebraska that Riley was at Oregon St.? Because if there was any truth to that, it wouldn't support your whole Pro-Bo- Anti-Riley thing you've got going for yourself.

Nobody of sane mind is debating that Nebraska has been lacking when it comes to passing QB's. Riley has had a few good ones at Oregon St. Which school do you think should have the easier time reruiting the athletes to fit their systems? For as much as Nebraska was throwing the ball in recent history, you would think they'd have a QB that can do so by now. Seven years into their tenure and we all watched Tommy struggle in the passing game again.

OFFENSEQB - Johnny Stanton / Tommy Armstrong

Rememer that prediction? You had him starting over Tommy by the FAU game last year.

that and this http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/73850-overunder-on-new-starters-for-2015-16/&do=findComment&comment=1513943

Not picking on you, but it's almost been funny as I've watched you and Landlord completely jump ship on all these grandiose predictions you guys had for the kid and debated with me about a season ago. Now we're talking about him transferring. I got nothing against him, if the coaches said he was the man, I'd root for him, but many here were crowning the kid and he hadn't even done anything yet.

Yep. My predictions were based more based on my observations of TA and how I didn't think he would be a consistent QB. Stanton was the most likely successor at that point so I thought he'd overtake him. I was wrong.

How are your grandiose predictions for TA coming?

• Fire 5

We do?

Yeah, we do.

No...we don't.

What we do know is that Riley adapted his system to various players while at OSU. Recently he had a good QB and WR combo so they passed a lot. Before, they had a good RB so they ran more.

Even before he was hired here he talked in a press conference about changing his offense.