Example of Coaching Upgrade

This would certainly add some clarity as to why we rarely saw changes I'm the depth chart even after multiple subpar performances (looking at you, OL).

They didn't feel second string could step in and do better.... Because they weren't getting any reps?

To be fair, Bray didn't say it was 2nd stringers. For all we know it was a walk on
Just saying. We're probably making way too much out of spring coach speak, but this could certainly jive with struggling with player progression and development.

I really thought the quote from Banderas was funny and probably very true. Considering how slow the linebackers were to react. He said: in the old system we see the ball think about it and then react. In the new scheme we see the ball and react. And another was: last year we had a dictionary to memorize this years is a preschool book.

Now to me defense is pretty damn simple. There is no reason to make it complicated. Yes I know you have disguise blitzes and coverages but being overly complicated to the point they are afraid to react is pretty stupid coaching. You don't have the luxury of knowing where the ball is going so the faster you react the better meaning the simpler the the d the better.

I really thought the quote from Banderas was funny and probably very true. Considering how slow the linebackers were to react. He said: in the old system we see the ball think about it and then react. In the new scheme we see the ball and react. And another was: last year we had a dictionary to memorize this years is a preschool book.

Now to me defense is pretty damn simple. There is no reason to make it complicated. Yes I know you have disguise blitzes and coverages but being overly complicated to the point they are afraid to react is pretty stupid coaching. You don't have the luxury of knowing where the ball is going so the faster you react the better meaning the simpler the the d the better.

I get what you are saying but in Pelini's defense when he had people running his defense the way he wanted, it was very good despite its complexities.

I get what you are saying but in Pelini's defense when he had people running his defense the way he wanted, it was very good despite its complexities.

Or, in his words, when the players executed, it was golden.

If you're a coach, then you're a teacher. You'd better be able to teach. To say Pelini's defense was "very good" despite it's complexities is probably true, if he got 11 guys to execute it consistently, it probably would be brilliant. 2009 showed that. Ndamukong Suh makes a lot of defenses look pretty good though. Same could be said for LaVonte David when he came into the picture.

The point is though, as great as Bo Pelini's defense is -or that image of what he wanted them to be that was trapped inside his head - it all meant nothing. Zip. Zero. Garbage. None of it matters if you can't teach your players to execute it. As we saw, they rarely did execute it and Bo told us as much on a weekly basis. So what kind of idiot watches his team not execute week after week, yet changes nothing? Stay the course Bo.....good for you, look what it got ya.

This new staff are teachers first. These guys are real coaches. They realize these players aren't pons on a chess board. This is football.

• Fire 1

Coach Bray said there are guys that never saw a rep in practice with the old staff. So based on that fact alone, this new staff is a major upgrade.

That doesn't surprise me, I guess. Everyone knew Pelini had a doghouse. We just didn't know to what extent the depth of it.

I always tried to debunk the doghouse idea. Still do actually. I dont really think the coaches were purposely holding back better players. Theyre coaches. they wanna win. But I do think it was just straight up incompetence in terms of teaching and development and being able to adjust both schemes and the way you teach schemes in order to get said best players on the field.

If you're a coach, then you're a teacher. You'd better be able to teach. To say Pelini's defense was "very good" despite it's complexities is probably true, if he got 11 guys to execute it consistently, it probably would be brilliant. 2009 showed that. Ndamukong Suh makes a lot of defenses look pretty good though. Same could be said for LaVonte David when he came into the picture.

The point is though, as great as Bo Pelini's defense is -or that image of what he wanted them to be that was trapped inside his head - it all meant nothing. Zip. Zero. Garbage. None of it matters if you can't teach your players to execute it. As we saw, they rarely did execute it and Bo told us as much on a weekly basis. So what kind of idiot watches his team not execute week after week, yet changes nothing? Stay the course Bo.....good for you, look what it got ya.

This new staff are teachers first. These guys are real coaches. They realize these players aren't pons on a chess board. This is football.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out that when he had the players that could do it, the defense was very good. The problem, it seems, is that they had to have that ability from the start because it clearly couldn't be taught.

This new defense, it has been said, simplifies it so that a larger portion of the players understand it sooner.

Coach Bray said there are guys that never saw a rep in practice with the old staff. So based on that fact alone, this new staff is a major upgrade.

That doesn't surprise me, I guess. Everyone knew Pelini had a doghouse. We just didn't know to what extent the depth of it.

That is ridiculous. HOW CAN THE PROGRAM IMPROVE? I suppose Courtney Love didn't see a rep until last season, which would make me want to transfer too!

CL: "Hey Coach, could I practice today so that I'm ready for tomorrow?"

BP: "No, hit the showers."

Courtney Love might not be the best example.

He redshirted his first year so presumably he was on the scout team not getting many reps if at all. Then last year was his RS FR year so then he would get reps I suppose. You could be right though. I have no clue as to the inner workings to a Pelini practice.

Does anyone?

That is ridiculous. HOW CAN THE PROGRAM IMPROVE? I suppose Courtney Love didn't see a rep until last season, which would make me want to transfer too!

CL: "Hey Coach, could I practice today so that I'm ready for tomorrow?"

BP: "No, hit the showers."

Courtney Love might not be the best example.

He redshirted his first year so presumably he was on the scout team not getting many reps if at all. Then last year was his RS FR year so then he would get reps I suppose. You could be right though. I have no clue as to the inner workings to a Pelini practice.

Does anyone?

Well we are starting to get an idea after some player interviews this Spring

I always tried to debunk the doghouse idea. Still do actually. I dont really think the coaches were purposely holding back better players. Theyre coaches. they wanna win. But I do think it was just straight up incompetence in terms of teaching and development and being able to adjust both schemes and the way you teach schemes in order to get said best players on the field.

It's probably normal/reasonable for coaches to have a doghouse. Ideally, the guys who go there earn their way there, and then have an opportunity to work hard and come out of it.

Phil Dillard is a great example of that. But, let's take Courtney Osborne. What happened with him?