Example of Coaching Upgrade

I believe all position coaches got upgraded. And head coach obviously. Although I still don't know about DB/Secondary yet.

Stewart has vast experience compared to Warren

Thank you that's great then! I thought Warren did a pretty good job so I just wasn't sure.

I believe all position coaches got upgraded. And head coach obviously. Although I still don't know about DB/Secondary yet.

Thank you that's great then! I thought Warren did a pretty good job so I just wasn't sure.
warren was here for less than one year. Not one full recruiting cycle, though it appears he did well with that. So id the jury shouldve still been out on Warren. Its hard to compare the two cuz we dont really know anything about either one.

Oh, c'mon. Pelini is who he is. He was not made that way because fans booed in a game one time. And the crazy most certainly did not begin in 2011.

No need for concern about who Pelini is. Pelini is now at Youngstown State under Tressel after Osborne's recommendation.
Osborne recommended Steve Pedersen too. Whats your take on that?

How dare you! You take that back!

i know you know what i mean. Rant alert. Im so sick of this notion that Osborne is the end all say all all the time. He hasnt been AD in over two years but yet we hold him to the fire waiting for answers. Its time to get with the fact that TO is dun. And Frankly he probably feels the same way. "Dangummit. Leave me the f#*k alone already people". Besides. He hired or was highly involved in the hiring of 5 major personnel. 3 are gone. 1's knockin on the door already. And Erstads really the only one to hang a hat on. So its ok to say that maybe, JUST MAYBE, TO dont know sh#t about hiring coaches and recommending ppl.

If your point is that we have not had good quarterback play or development at Nebraska for quite awhile, you drove it home. The coaches pick for B1G QB is a far cry from being mentioned in the same sentence as Heisman winners and franchise QB's. TM did all he could do but he regressed as time went on with the past staff. He sure didn't developed into any scary passing threat and was a better runner as a freshman than at any later time.

Taylor's freshman year stats

1631 yards passing, 59.2%, 10 TD, 7 INT, 138.8 - 965 yards rushing, 12 TD

Taylor's junior year stats

2871 yards passing, 62%, 23 TD, 12 INT, 141.6 rating - 1019 yards rushing, 10 TD

please respond with something about how he was injured and missed games his freshman year so then i can respond back in kind that the same injury affected his game the rest of his career. please.

I'm not attacking TM. Yes, there were injuries that affected his play. But the fact remains, and it is glaringly obvious, our QB's have been severely shortchanged in the mentoring and coaching department. This discussion is about the upgrade in coaching and, although we haven't seen it on the field yet, I think it will become painfully obvious that the past staff was doing the team no favors. Some position coaches and/or coordinators may have had the ability to do something but I don't feel the we're allowed to do many things because of the attitude of the man in charge. That's not a knock on Taylor, that's just the way it is.

If your point is that we have not had good quarterback play or development at Nebraska for quite awhile, you drove it home. The coaches pick for B1G QB is a far cry from being mentioned in the same sentence as Heisman winners and franchise QB's. TM did all he could do but he regressed as time went on with the past staff. He sure didn't developed into any scary passing threat and was a better runner as a freshman than at any later time.

Taylor's freshman year stats

1631 yards passing, 59.2%, 10 TD, 7 INT, 138.8 - 965 yards rushing, 12 TD

Taylor's junior year stats

2871 yards passing, 62%, 23 TD, 12 INT, 141.6 rating - 1019 yards rushing, 10 TD

please respond with something about how he was injured and missed games his freshman year so then i can respond back in kind that the same injury affected his game the rest of his career. please.

I'm not attacking TM. Yes, there were injuries that affected his play. But the fact remains, and it is glaringly obvious, our QB's have been severely shortchanged in the mentoring and coaching department. This discussion is about the upgrade in coaching and, although we haven't seen it on the field yet, I think it will become painfully obvious that the past staff was doing the team no favors. Some position coaches and/or coordinators may have had the ability to do something but I don't feel the we're allowed to do many things because of the attitude of the man in charge. That's not a knock on Taylor, that's just the way it is.

Taylor showed real improvement passing the football once he had his own personal QB coach during the summertime. I truthfully believe that.

• Fire 1

Phil Elmasian had vast experience too........

Weren't we his longest coaching stop?

40 years of coaching and his 3 at NU was his longest stop.

warren was here for less than one year. Not one full recruiting cycle, though it appears he did well with that. So id the jury shouldve still been out on Warren. Its hard to compare the two cuz we dont really know anything about either one.

Good catch about recruiting because I thought I read he brought in some good talent. With the year he had it was good in that there really hasn't been a drop off from the secondary in Pelini's career. That is one thing I will always credit Pelini for - the physical style (mostly) from the secondary and close coverage skills (over 7 years). Not sure though if part of the success is because he used so many out on the field :lol: A lot of good ones came through here and the cupboard is still full. I guess since he played in the secondary that it's an area he always focused on.

On the flip side, the type of coverage and instruction did not produce the amount of picks we would hope for. Didn't they play behind the receivers a lot to avoid getting beat on routes? And bin position to make a tackle or break up a pass?

I guess I am torn.....I think the secondary was solid, with some normal mistakes here and there, but would also like to see the same type of talent improve. Especially with picks. I'm a little worried we might get frustrated in this area. Maybe I don't know enough about Stewart yet and specifically, what he wants out of this group. That's probably the bottom line.

I caution people on comparing our defensive back field over the next few years with what we have seen the last few. The defensive scheme is changing a lot. From what I can tell, on average, we will have fewer DBs on the field. That means CBs will be on an island more and there will be less help. They might get burned every once in a while.

HOWEVER, our run defense has a major chance of improvement.

Point is, we need to look at total defense and how that entire side of the ball is working and make judgements on that and not on if we are keeping QBs to less than 45% completion rates...bla bla bla...

But lets be honest. How easy is it to have a top notch passing defense with 7 in coverage while offenses are gashing you for record numbers on the ground time and time again. I'm willing to give up the occasional-and even at times-often, big plays in the air to know that we're playing football the way it's supposed to be played, and the way it takes to win championships. And that's stopping the run first and foremost.

I caution people on comparing our defensive back field over the next few years with what we have seen the last few. The defensive scheme is changing a lot. From what I can tell, on average, we will have fewer DBs on the field. That means CBs will be on an island more and there will be less help. They might get burned every once in a while.

HOWEVER, our run defense has a major chance of improvement.

Point is, we need to look at total defense and how that entire side of the ball is working and make judgements on that and not on if we are keeping QBs to less than 45% completion rates...bla bla bla...

I agree completely. I can sustain a little anger if our secondary gets beat at times. It happens. Hopefully it's just because the WR makes a good play. So that's ok as long as we do the other things. Win the LOS, stop the run, put pressure on the QB. Make him have to get rid of it and force a good throw. I like our chances most of the time with that theory.