Example of Coaching Upgrade

This would certainly add some clarity as to why we rarely saw changes I'm the depth chart even after multiple subpar performances (looking at you, OL).

They didn't feel second string could step in and do better.... Because they weren't getting any reps?

To be fair, Bray didn't say it was 2nd stringers. For all we know it was a walk on

Per McKewon, it was walk-on guys he was talking about. So probably nothing different than has happened for many years with how many guys we have. Just not enough time to get reps for 120+ guys. It's nice to get them a shot but I don't think it really changes a whole lot.

But really, if you're not even going to let a walk-on guy get one rep in any practice, there isn't much point in letting them walk-on. I thought the point of a walk-on was that every once in a while you found one talent evaluators had missed and they end up making the field. If you're not even going to offer a kid a chance to get one rep in a practice, what is the point of the kid being there?

• Fire 2

This would certainly add some clarity as to why we rarely saw changes I'm the depth chart even after multiple subpar performances (looking at you, OL).

They didn't feel second string could step in and do better.... Because they weren't getting any reps?

To be fair, Bray didn't say it was 2nd stringers. For all we know it was a walk on

Per McKewon, it was walk-on guys he was talking about. So probably nothing different than has happened for many years with how many guys we have. Just not enough time to get reps for 120+ guys. It's nice to get them a shot but I don't think it really changes a whole lot.

But really, if you're not even going to let a walk-on guy get one rep in any practice, there isn't much point in letting them walk-on. I thought the point of a walk-on was that every once in a while you found one talent evaluators had missed and they end up making the field. If you're not even going to offer a kid a chance to get one rep in a practice, what is the point of the kid being there?

This is true. But what if a kid shows up as a walk-on and isn't the athlete he was advertised to be? Say, what if he runs a 4.9 forty instead of the 4.55 he claimed? Or what if a lineman weighs 245 lbs instead of 275? Should he take reps away from other recruits who are have a legit chance at making the depth chart and contributing?

I'm not saying this is the case now. But I suspect college coaches have to deal with this all the time: kids showing up on campus and not being the football player that their HS coach and recruiting profile said they were.

btw, It's my understanding that college coaches cannot work a recruit out or weigh/measure him before he is signed. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption.

One thing we could maybe put to rest then is the idea that Bo single-handedly resurrected a dying walk-on program.

If you're going to keep a guy around on the program, get him reps. Otherwise, what's he doing there? If you have more players than there are possibly reps to go around, maybe have a lower number of walk-ons because you can't keep track of them all.

• Fire 1

Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, and Michigan State are the Big Ten teams that gave up fewer passing yards per game last year.

They all gave up fewer rushing yards, as well.

True, but only Ohio State faced more completions (they also played 2 more games than us).

That said, I'll gladly trade some passing D for a reasonable rush D.

Why not have your cake and eat it too? I don't want opponents ripping our D through the air or on the ground. :)

I certainly like the way Riley handles himself, too. I like the access and the PR campaign going on with their social media. It is just important to remember it is all somewhat self-serving. Saying all the right things is great, and Pelini certainly didn't all the time, but I care more about the on-field performance though. Calling them "teachers first" and "real coaches" off of a self-serving media snippets before we've even played a Spring Game is awfully ambitious.

Good post

• Fire 2

it wasn't a husker fan that taped Bo's rants. last rant that was recorded was by a player. and his first rant was apparently recorded by someone in the media. so how do you blame the fans for either?

How about we say it was "Husker Nation"?

...and was it a player or the media that booed the Nebraska players in that Ohio State game that set Bo off?

it wasn't a husker fan that taped Bo's rants. last rant that was recorded was by a player. and his first rant was apparently recorded by someone in the media. so how do you blame the fans for either?

...and was it a player or the media that booed the Nebraska players in that Ohio State game that set Bo off?

Are you referring to the tOSU game where the team and coaches performed extremely poorly for roughly the first half of the game, causing some fans to boo and leave early, but then the Huskers made a miraculous 2nd half comeback for a victory but our hotheaded, foul-mouthed coach was not content with his team having made a miraculous come from behind victory and all he could focus on were the few fans who left early and caused him to lose all control of acting reasonably and was captured on tape (in a studio with obvious recording equipment all around) demeaning all Husker fans as fairweather fans and telling us all how we could kiss his a$$ on his way out the door? Is that what you are implying "set Bo off"? The stinking fans and not his total lack of keeping anything in perspective? That?

• Fire 2

poor little bo. :violin