Example of Coaching Upgrade

Our WR were a bright spot on the team for the last few years. Reilly's comments are a little surprising as I always thought Fisher was a good WR coach.

But if he is learning more now, great. Just show it on the field in the fall.

Maybe he seemed good because of the lack of quality assistants on the previous staff?

Our WR were a bright spot on the team for the last few years. Reilly's comments are a little surprising as I always thought Fisher was a good WR coach.

Maybe he seemed good because of the lack of quality assistants on the previous staff?

You could be right. I really have no argument on who the WR coach is as long as they get the most out of the players and can recruit.

Williams is one of the best in CFB as a WR coach

He's gonna do work.
The guy has developed NFL talent at the WR position with guys much less talented than what We have. Hopefully we pay the man to keep him for as long as possible.

Absolutely. It also says a lot that those NFL receivers come back to work with him in the offseason.

Brandon Reilly told Coach Williams he learned more in just 3 practices than he ever learned before.

Is any current player going to tell a member of the coaching staff they thought their previous coach was better?
I would be surprised given the quality of this coaching staff compared to the last. :)
  • Fire 2

Brandon Reilly told Coach Williams he learned more in just 3 practices than he ever learned before.

Is any current player going to tell a member of the coaching staff they thought their previous coach was better?
I would be surprised given the quality of this coaching staff compared to the last. :)

The real question is why was Rich Fish teaching them about their short game during FB practice?

I think the one place Nebraska definitely needed a coaching upgrade is for quarterbacks.

I thought it was very sad indeed that Nebraska was spending millions on the coaching payroll and Martinez had to hire his own coach during the offseason.

So offensive line, TE's, and LB's weren't in need of an upgrade at all?

Not that surprising to me. I felt our WR play last few years didn't really live up to the billing, although we did have some impressive players and a creative coordinator.

We had some good coaches on the last staff, too, especially Pelini himself with the defenses. Kaz, Brown, and Warren in particular were highlights. But I think we will see that this staff as a whole is a big upgrade in the teaching dept.

And, Martinez went to work with a private QB coach because a lot of QBs do this, and also because he really, really needed the work. He had gone from being pretty new to the position, to starting QB at a major FBS program. Of course he had to do all he could to shore up the fundamentals, that would've been the case with any coaching staff. Though if his coaches had been Riley and Langsdorf, they would likely have asked him to play receiver.

I thought it was very sad indeed that Nebraska was spending millions on the coaching payroll and Martinez had to hire his own coach during the offseason.

Red herring homie. Tons of quarterbacks, even at schools with great quarterback development, do this. It's rather common.

For instance, Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel both had offseason quarterback coaching outside of their respective schools.

Red herring homie. Tons of quarterbacks, even at schools with great quarterback development, do this. It's rather common.

For instance, Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel both had offseason quarterback coaching outside of their respective schools.

Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Braxton Miller, Johnny Manziel, Tajh Boyd and others all went to George Whitfield Jr at some point in time during their respective off seasons over the years. It isn't uncommon at all.