Example of Coaching Upgrade

I think Ron Brown just wants to help. He may even feel he is putting himself in a situation where people around him need it. I don't think his faith should be questioned for this.

That said, Ron Brown needs to go coach at a Christian institution. Unfortunately, he's made it his mission to push the boundaries of using a public university position in effect employed by the people, to evangelize. That I can't support.

• Fire 3

That said, Ron Brown needs to go coach at a Christian institution. Unfortunately, he's made it his mission to push the boundaries of using a public university position in effect employed by the people, to evangelize. That I can't support.

No one asked you to be supportive, we expect you to be tolerant. Just to be clear, atheism /agnosticism /secularism doesn't trump religious beliefs. It's Freedom OF religion and is not to be confused with Freedom FROM religion.

Everybody has a list of things that they don't want to see or hear and most just look away or don't listen. So suck it up, Buttercup.

He is welcome to do what he likes, but he should find some sort of privately funded platform if those are his wishes. JMO.I expect public universities not to promote any one religion over another.

I agree that he would be better suited to a private or Christian school. But I don't think it can be said that UNL, or any place RB may be employed, promotes one religion over another. Ron Brown may but that doesn't mean his employer does. That's a pretty significant difference. Also, it is not his employers place to stifle his religious beliefs. Ron has had some problems blurring the line (naming his address as Memorial Stadium when speaking personally) but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to blur the line also.

Well, the school definitely doesn't, but part of that is hiring people who don't do so in their capacity as school officials.

I'm sure Ron Brown for the most part stayed within the lines, but he walked awful close, and stepped way over on that one occasion. My comment here about not being able to support it is, it seems intentional on his part to try and push that as far as he is able. I am sure he would continue to go over if he felt he could get away with it. In his mind, he's helping people -- and maybe he is. In my mind, that's an inappropriate way to let a public university sports team be run.

Well, the school definitely doesn't, but part of that is hiring people who don't do so in their capacity as school officials.I'm sure Ron Brown for the most part stayed within the lines, but he walked awful close, and stepped way over on that one occasion. My comment here about not being able to support it is, it seems intentional on his part to try and push that as far as he is able. I am sure he would continue to go over if he felt he could get away with it. In his mind, he's helping people -- and maybe he is. In my mind, that's an inappropriate way to let a public university sports team be run.

I think it is intentional on his part to push it as far as he can. I don't blame hI'm for that, I blame any employer who doesn't nip it in the bud when he goes over that line. IMO, it's not a problem until they let it become a problem. And I don't think it was ever really a problem at UNL. He had 1 or 2 instances I am aware of where his employer should've maybe reigned him in a bit. In fact, I don't even remember if he was officially reprimanded for mentioning his employment while addressing that meeting in Omaha. He should have been if he wasn't. But, like someone said earlier, it is freedom of religion, not freedom from ever being exposed to it. He is well within his bounds to talk about his religion and beliefs and also be a coach and University employee. He doesn't have to totally avoid the subject for it to be acceptable. He just has to not cross the line and that really is probably more up to his employer to enforce because everyone knows he will take it as far as he is allowed.

So, it's not that they shouldn't hire a person like him, who may push the limits, rather it is up to them to make sure he doesn't push beyond what is acceptable. He very well may be reprimanded or terminated for it but they cannot make the decision to not hire him based on his beliefs. That would be way wrong and is not what this country is about.

Sorry for the tangent. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

He is welcome to do what he likes, but he should find some sort of privately funded platform if those are his wishes. JMO.

I expect public universities not to promote any one religion over another.

I agree one hundred percent with your philosophy, but then again, Coach Brown really only stepped over that boundary one time, and was properly reprimanded for it.

Privately funded platform you say? Like FCA? Because that is the avenue in which virtually all of his explicit proclamation of the Christian faith takes place. There are exceptions, but all of those exceptions that I know of, save one, have been with the endorsement or initiation of other parties. See the Penn State prayer for example - it was a decidedly and unmistakenly Christian prayer, but did anyone have a problem with it?

The real knock on Brown is how he followed Bo to Youngstown. How can such a good Christian like Brown follow that insubordinate mouth breather? I'll never understand how guy that calls his boss a CUNThursday is worthy of Browns ministry. Maybe Brown thinks Bo needs saving? Who knows.

It's pretty simple - RB knows that Bo respects him and will allow him to devote a certain amount of energy to his ministry outside of football and won't get in the way or demand that he cool it down. At it's simplest level he's using Bo for his own goals - doesn't mean he has to like or respect him.

and you know this for a fact?
He pretty much said as much in his interview with Sharp and Benning a few months ago after Bo hired him to come to YSU with him

I haven't heard the interview but I remember someone referencing it.

If that's the case, it casts further doubt on my perception of Brown as a good Christian. For me, a good leader is someone who stands up for their principles and adapts their beliefs as times change of new material comes to light. Seems to me that even if Bo is allowing Brown to continue his ministry, he still wouldn't be someone who turns a blind eye to someone calling a final team meeting berate the administration. Disrespect is disrespect in any language and calling someone a cunthursday is disrespectful.

If Brown made the calculated decision to follow that mouth breather because it allows him to devote energy to his ministry, it only makes me question his principles even more.

What is a good Christian? Let's not forgot a football coach is a job. The guy has a job to do.

Good Christian.....give me a break.

Cool to hear about Cross and his endorsement of our new coach, but I don't know if I could take it to be a knock on Ron Brown. Even if Imani meant it that way, the dude has produced and developed Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah, both record setting all conference backs here, and both (soon to be) playing in the league.

Don't know if I would give him credit for Burkhead. He was half way thru his NU career when Brown took over. Don't get me wrong. I love Ron Brown, but you also have to look at the bad with the good. Look at what happened with Aaron Green & Braylon Heard. If one of them had taken a RS. We would have even better depth at the RB postion. Brown is a motivator.

Cool to hear about Cross and his endorsement of our new coach, but I don't know if I could take it to be a knock on Ron Brown. Even if Imani meant it that way, the dude has produced and developed Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah, both record setting all conference backs here, and both (soon to be) playing in the league.

Don't know if I would give him credit for Burkhead. He was half way thru his NU career when Brown took over. Don't get me wrong. I love Ron Brown, but you also have to look at the bad with the good. Look at what happened with Aaron Green & Braylon Heard. If one of them had taken a RS. We would have even better depth at the RB postion. Brown is a motivator.

IIRC, Brown and the rest of the staff tried to get AG to RS, but they never forced a kid to do it. He simply wasn't strong enough, and was used to just outrunning guys in highschool. I remember reading scuttlebut that AG was already complaining halfway through fall camp his frosh year. I remember reading from some of the recruiting guys that he was a severely entitled kid. He was a primma donna, and when he got beat out by Ameer, he left.

Coaching Upgrade?!

My gosh, if Ron Brown coached in '94, '95, and '97, then that must mean that Reggie Davis has...FOUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RINGS!!!

Davis coached in the NFL and made it to a Super Bowl and multiple NFC Championship games. He has plenty of experience.

I always thought RB was a good coach. What he lacked in true "expertise" he made up for as a motivator and as a mentor.

Personally, I am not too surprised to hear that he may have not been a true expert in the position. The small things are important, they truly are, but when you've got the talent that we get here, it might not be too hard to just motivate the guys to run hard, run fast, and hold on to the damn ball.

It's not a knock on RB to say that he probably wasn't the best coach for the position. But it's not a stretch to say that he was a good coach either. I mean, the story of him yelling at a player "We don't run out of bounds at Nebraska!" is something that is plain awesome.

Also, I think every new coach will have something new to add to these kids' experience and learning. The great thing is that they talked to the right guy regarding this coach. Cross seems to work extremely hard to refine his game, so he probably listens to everything and learns how quickly it can refine his game and apply it on the field. You can definitely tell Cross has a love of the game and he wants to get better. I think it's refreshing for him to learn something new, that there are other ways to get better.

No doubt I think this RB coach is a good one. It's great to hear that these kids are learning new things and possibly getting better because of it.

It's been well documented that they wanted Aaron Green to redshirt, but he wouldn't have it (and proceeded to have whiny furious body language one or two times per game from not getting the ball enough), but even if that weren't the case, you think RB was the one making decisions on who redshirted and who didn't? I mean it's possible, but I assume that Bo is the one deciding those kinds of things.