Example of Coaching Upgrade

Cool to hear about Cross and his endorsement of our new coach, but I don't know if I could take it to be a knock on Ron Brown. Even if Imani meant it that way, the dude has produced and developed Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah, both record setting all conference backs here, and both (soon to be) playing in the league.

Don't know if I would give him credit for Burkhead. He was half way thru his NU career when Brown took over. Don't get me wrong. I love Ron Brown, but you also have to look at the bad with the good. Look at what happened with Aaron Green & Braylon Heard. If one of them had taken a RS. We would have even better depth at the RB postion. Brown is a motivator.

It's been well documented that they wanted Aaron Green to redshirt, but he wouldn't have it (and proceeded to have whiny furious body language one or two times per game from not getting the ball enough), but even if that weren't the case, you think RB was the one making decisions on who redshirted and who didn't? I mean it's possible, but I assume that Bo is the one deciding those kinds of things.

Actually, yes they absolutely had to agree to it. Bo mentioned that several times that RS and changing positions has to be bought into by the player. If the player doesn't want to do it, forcing him isn't going to work. I haven't seen Riley talk about RS, but I recall an early interview about moving pieces around and he said a similar thing about the player agreeing and buying into the move.

Actually, yes they absolutely had to agree to it. Bo mentioned that several times that RS and changing positions has to be bought into by the player. If the player doesn't want to do it, forcing him isn't going to work. I haven't seen Riley talk about RS, but I recall an early interview about moving pieces around and he said a similar thing about the player agreeing and buying into the move.

You're misunderstanding my post. What I was getting at is that the position coach probably isn't the one that has final say over his players redshirting or not - that probably comes from above w/ Bo.

You're misunderstanding my post. What I was getting at is that the position coach probably isn't the one that has final say over his players redshirting or not - that probably comes from above w/ Bo.

The final decision to RS is really the players. Coaches will definitely tell the players where they sit and recommend a RS, but the player may not take the advice. I do think our offense could have used Green and especially Heard better. Heard was good, he should have been getting 10 touches a game his last year here instead of 3.

Brown was/is a good all around skill player coach. He IMO is probably better suited to coaching WR than RB, but he can do both. The new guy is going to have new and different methods and ideas about how RB should be coached. So of coarse the RB are excited about it.

Fair enough, but I am betting the position coaches have a lot of say on whether they ask a player to RS. He has to have input on how many active players he needs, how many impact makers he has, whether or not he feels the incoming Fr looks good enough to play rift away after seeing him practice, and whether or not the potential impact of the kid playing right away should outweigh any potential development advantage the player might gain from a RS year. The more I think on it, my guess is that the position coach is the biggest voice in the decision.

:backtotopic Guys, some of you have run wild with the OP. While this has evolved into a pro/anti Ron Brown discussion, it was never about Ron Brown. The post is about the whole team coaching change being an upgrade not specifically Ron Brown vs the new RB coach. As noted below, I'm a Ron Brown fan and think he was a great coach here. I just used Cross's comments to spring board the discussion about what I perceived to be a coaching upgrade as a whole for the team - coaches with total more years of experience at specific positions or as coordinators (I think we have 3 former experienced DCs on the D alone and one former experience OC on the O now). Cross, it appears, believes he is receiving better RB specific coaching from our new coach. This isn't a slam on Ron Brown.

Quote OP:

As much as I respect Ron Brown for his full body of work at NU, I think this article and comments by Cross is reflective of the affect the new coaching will have on the team as a whole.

I think we will see the benefits in every area of the team.

• Fire 1

As soon as a read that article I knew we'd have a Ron Brown thread today, although 18 posts in and it is doing better than I thought. Curious to see where it goes.

And there it is. We just needed a few days to get there. The Huskerboard's redundant Ron Brown thread in its entirety......again......until next time........forever..... and ever...amen.

Brandon Reilly told Coach Williams he learned more in just 3 practices than he ever learned before.

Is any current player going to tell a member of the coaching staff they thought their previous coach was better?
Why would he make up something like that? We get it. You don't like this staff.
  • Fire 1