Pelini Finds Comfort at Home

You would think that a guy that played football for Ohio State and coached at Nebraska, Oklahoma, and LSU as an assistant would have had a pretty good grasp of the things that went with the job that went beyond football.

Well, he hadn't been the head guy before and this day of incessant social media scrutiny is kind of a different animal and I tend to agree that BOP wasn't/isn't ready to be the head guy at a pressure cooker like NE.

Man this guy has no business being a manager of anything "that's what's wrong with the place" meaning that he takes no responsibility and he thinks horrible behavior is OK and that it should be kept a secret. It is an odd level of maturity. I always tell folks I consult with that they should never make a decision that hinges on secrecy, because odds are that it will not stay an secret. I think another reason Bo had such a young staff is that the word was out on him so he could not get mature solid coaches to even come work for him. I could be wrong but I am confident that inside coaching circles his behavior was probably well knows, so I'm sure he wanted yes men but I bet many solid coaches wanted nothing to do with the guy.

"Pelini said he had job opportunities at bigger schools and in the NFL" I would love to see the University cram that statement in his pie hole.... and if he says it was mis-quoted... make him publicly denounce it by admitting no one else wanted him...

quick...someone shot that article off to Eichorst.

Well, Eichorst, unlike Bo, does not feel like he needs to get the last word in.

• Fire 1

"Pelini said he had job opportunities at bigger schools and in the NFL" I would love to see the University cram that statement in his pie hole.... and if he says it was mis-quoted... make him publicly denounce it by admitting no one else wanted him...

Except for in regards to the second audio when Eichorst released a statement essentially saying "Thanks for proving our point Bo".

Except for in regards to the second audio when Eichorst released a statement essentially saying "Thanks for proving our point Bo".

And now we know he didn't get the last word.

That kind of demanded a response. That was a Nebraska controversy still, his final act as the team's coach (though he had technically been released, it was in a room full of his players).

This is Bo bandying words around in the media. There is no real need for Nebraska to respond. He didn't say all that much, anyway. Maybe if he had been more inflammatory.

Yeah, to think about it, Bo having success there would be kinda insufferable. I've seen enough of how he handles success -- he perceives his own position of strength and uses it to bludgeon his foes.

It's inevitable that BP's peronality flaws will bite him in the @ss again. I don't see a way for this play out otherwise. What makes BP insufferable are exactly what have made him successful, imo. If he is more than moderately successful at YSU, he'll take another big job and blow it to crap again. He can't help it. He just got there, he still has plenty of time to burn bridges ;)

"Nebraska, I thought, was very unique in that way in that there's a lot of things that kind of went with it that were beyond the football," Pelini said in the AP story. "It's just part of the deal."

It's part of the deal at Michigan and Ohio State and Penn State, too, Oklahoma and LSU -- at both of which Pelini worked as defensive coordinator -- Florida State, Alabama and a few others.

And here's what matters for Nebraska as it moves forward: new coach Mike Riley understands that all of the attention is not just part of the deal in Lincoln but essential to the historical success of the program. Riley, the Pac-12 veteran who played under Bear Bryant at Alabama, knows he is not alone, that other coaches operate in similar conditions.

At times, Pelini seemed convinced his situation rated worse than the majority of others in his line of work, when, no doubt, just the opposite was true.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/117428/another-word-on-nebraska-from-bo-pelini

Good article by Mitch Sherman.

So basically, Bo admits that he cant handle all of the "extras" that come with being head of a traditional blueblood with high expectations. Shocking.

Like I've said about Riley from day one. Trying to combat and ignore and treating all the extras as a nuisance and embracing them and manipulating them to your advantage is the difference between purgatory and "getting over the hump". it's what I believe at this point. I guarantee you there are times Riley's in a mood where he just "doesnt wanna deal with the bullsh#t" but understands that it's part of the gig. And the harmony of doing so in the long run is very beneficial. Not from day one did we ever have the feeling that Bo understood this. And when the seat got warm, the pressure really cranked up.

Totally agree with every point.

There is a formula so to speak for succeeding at a high level at Nebraska. Bob Deveny was a hot head like Bo, but instead of fighting every little thing along the way he embraced it and built a power house. He did this even when Nebraska fans were passing around petitions demanding his firing during the rough 6-6 season he had in the 60's.

Bo really needed prior head coaching experience and preferably more experience out here in the mid west (He has spent most of his career coaching east of the Mississippi) before he was given a shot at Nebraska. Bob Deveny coached at Wyoming, and actually made them decent. It taught him how too make something out of nothing. Bo I don't think is familiar with what that is like.

It's a damned shame back in 2008 this wasn't taken into consideration when we were eyeing potential candidates.

In the end I liked Bo, I was a big supporter even. But your judged by how you perform in defining moments. And all we have from him performance wise the past couple years are face plants.

It's just better for both sides how things ended, it's just too bad Bo doesn't understand that.