Winning the Spring Game

I've never been too influenced in my Husker opinions by any spring game, but I am sure that it will stir some talk and debate. It will be the first time Nebraska fans get a chance to see what the offense/defense will look like. The emphasis will definitely be on the offense IMO. Always is.

The normal post spring line is that we should take it easy on the offense because the defense is usually ahead at this point. If the offense does well, it means we are loaded and we are going to do very well in the fall.

With all the changes, however, this isn't a normal spring.

The question in my mind is.... how much will this spring game remind me of the 2004 edition?

Remember Bill was coming in with his pro style offense and we all were anxious to see what a passing Husker offense would look like. We came out in the opening series with a bunch of shifts and motion that got everybody excited. And Joe Dailey went on to have a very nice day passing the ball, yards and TDs. We knew there would be some bumps in the road, but felt that opening showing was an indicator that this system would work. The fall came.... the losses mounted. And we wondered if Bill had just juggled the roster in the spring to trick us ... and the players... into thinking all was well.

So how do we judge Riley? He's bringing in a pro style system too. Will he set it up for us to dominate on offense, or will he set it up for us to be challenged on offense?

In the end, how do we come out feeling like the spring game showed promise... and not feeling like we were deceived by roster juggling?

Can we take anything away from this spring game at all?

I'm more interested at this point in looking at individuals. The scheme etc will all matter more to me in the fall. I want to see some of these guys that haven't got a shot to see what they are made of. Especially Bush and Darlington at the QB position. Taylor and Wilbon at RB. Farmer, Gates, Foster at OL. Practically all of the WRs. Defensively I just want to see solid tackling from everyone.

• Fire 1

Do we know if QBs will be taking contact? Or will they be off-limits?

Just a guess but I think the QB's will be live because they want to see how they look "under fire"

I think that it will be determined on how much QB depth Coach Riley thinks NU has. If the green shirts come out, its cuz Armstrong isn't being pushed at all....imo

Just a guess but I think the QB's will be live because they want to see how they look "under fire"

I think that it will be determined on how much QB depth Coach Riley thinks NU has. If the green shirts come out, its cuz Armstrong isn't being pushed at all....imo

Or it could mean that none of our abs have been worth a crap so we can't afford taking a chance on one of them getting injured because we have no idea who will be no.1 come fall

The QB question is interesting. Coach Riley needs to figure out if he has a QB who can at least function OK in the system. If he does, that buys him a year to recruit a high school kid, red shirt him a season, and go with him for 2017 season. If we go through the QBs and find none are serviceable, then it will be time to search the JUCO ranks for the next Zac Taylor.... if we can find a guy like that... he was DANG good.

I've never been too influenced in my Husker opinions by any spring game, but I am sure that it will stir some talk and debate. It will be the first time Nebraska fans get a chance to see what the offense/defense will look like. The emphasis will definitely be on the offense IMO. Always is.

The normal post spring line is that we should take it easy on the offense because the defense is usually ahead at this point. If the offense does well, it means we are loaded and we are going to do very well in the fall.

With all the changes, however, this isn't a normal spring.

The question in my mind is.... how much will this spring game remind me of the 2004 edition?

Remember Bill was coming in with his pro style offense and we all were anxious to see what a passing Husker offense would look like. We came out in the opening series with a bunch of shifts and motion that got everybody excited. And Joe Dailey went on to have a very nice day passing the ball, yards and TDs. We knew there would be some bumps in the road, but felt that opening showing was an indicator that this system would work. The fall came.... the losses mounted. And we wondered if Bill had just juggled the roster in the spring to trick us ... and the players... into thinking all was well.

So how do we judge Riley? He's bringing in a pro style system too. Will he set it up for us to dominate on offense, or will he set it up for us to be challenged on offense?

In the end, how do we come out feeling like the spring game showed promise... and not feeling like we were deceived by roster juggling?

Can we take anything away from this spring game at all?

Excellent post! Especially the last question. One thing is for sure I doubt Riley will shuffle the roster to hide anything from us or the players.

I think there was a time when you could take something out of the spring game but absolutely nothing comes to mind from last years game. The scoring system and all the featured drills/wedding proposals etc is all I remember.

In recent years I used to enjoy seeing younger guys and hoping to see glimpses of the future, but my most recent memories include everyone getting stoked about Brion Carnes, Turner lighting the world on fire and front flipping into the end zone so I'm no sure of that either.

I expect a lot of vanilla as I doubt much has been installed. Ugliness, sloppiness and penalties will be deemed part of the work in progress. Flashes of awesomeness will be tempered with caution.

Not sure what will happen. Hopefully they find their top two QBs, if this game helps to sort that out. If not, there's still time for guys to improve. I am curious about Adam Taylor & Wilbon, but even more anxious to see Newby. Don't know why, other than he'll be an upperclassmen next year, he was highly regarding in HS, and he's got some quickness and speed. So I hope he's added some strength and is mentally ready for an opportunity to be the guy (as they all do).