Post spring game RB depth chart

I think the sooner we realize that Imani is just not gonna work out the better we'll be. He's been mishandled. It's as simple as that. He's spent 3 years trying to be something he isnt. Trying to fit into an offensive philosophy that he simply isnt built for. Now if the coaches wouldve made clear to him what his role wouldve been, and he wouldve embraced that role, and worked throught that whole time perfecting that role, then he'd be ready to role. But he's been trying to long to be a shifty zone type back instead of the thumper was built for. he's wasted years trying to be a poor man's Abdullah, instead of just being Imani. You can see it the way he runs. You can see it the way he cuts. And I'm afraid it's too late to correct it.

I think the sooner we realize that Imani is just not gonna work out the better we'll be. He's been mishandled. It's as simple as that. He's spent 3 years trying to be something he isnt. Trying to fit into an offensive philosophy that he simply isnt built for. Now if the coaches wouldve made clear to him what his role wouldve been, and he wouldve embraced that role, and worked throught that whole time perfecting that role, then he'd be ready to role. But he's been trying to long to be a shifty zone type back instead of the thumper was built for. he's wasted years trying to be a poor man's Abdullah, instead of just being Imani. You can see it the way he runs. You can see it the way he cuts. And I'm afraid it's too late to correct it.

I remember seeing Imani score his first td. It was a goal line, short yardage play. I remember saying "this kid is going to break the career td's mark" because he's such a bruiser and excellent short yardage back. I agree. The old staff tried to turn him into a dancing bear and didn't let him pound the rock for 4 yards and cloud of dust. Given the talent level of the other RB's on the team, I think he'll have a hard time getting quality reps. I still think he's a stud along the goal line and short yardage, though.

• Fire 1

I remember seeing Imani score his first td. It was a goal line, short yardage play. I remember saying "this kid is going to break the career td's mark" because he's such a bruiser and excellent short yardage back. I agree. The old staff tried to turn him into a dancing bear and didn't let him pound the rock for 4 yards and cloud of dust. Given the talent level of the other RB's on the team, I think he'll have a hard time getting quality reps. I still think he's a stud along the goal line and short yardage, though.

I dont think the old staff "turned him into....". I just think there just wasnt enough communication from one to the other on what his role was supposed to be. So in an effort to wanting to play more, he tried too hard to be something he wasnt, and it took away from his natural ability. Then it became that he didnt even fit the role that was set up for him and the coaches really didnt know how to use him. It just seemed like a breakdown within the whole process of his development. And it really showed, and would really piss me off, when how many times would we run Ameer for 5, 7, 9 yard gains in a row, then spell him with Cross for a breather, and call some PA pass with Cross in the backfield? I mean, simple YMCA garbage like that is what really drove me nut. and you put multiple of those little things together and it explains some of our struggles with the simple concepts of the game. The simple things that were overlooked for the sake of complexity.

• Fire 2

I would be happy to see Cross get the ball anytime the Huskers are inside the five yard line. And anywhere on the field, if it's 2nd and 2, I'd be fine giving it to him 3 times in a row to get a first down (if it took three times). Comes off the field, gets a pat on the shoulder pads, some water, and be ready for the next time in that situation. What is so wrong with that? That's a great role.

But at the same time, don't pitch it to him 5-7 yards back, or run an option with him. Just straight up the gut trap plays.

I would be happy to see Cross get the ball anytime the Huskers are inside the five yard line. And anywhere on the field, if it's 2nd and 2, I'd be fine giving it to him 3 times in a row to get a first down (if it took three times). Comes off the field, gets a pat on the shoulder pads, some water, and be ready for the next time in that situation. What is so wrong with that? That's a great role.

But at the same time, don't pitch it to him 5-7 yards back, or run an option with him. Just straight up the gut trap plays.

Trap plays for Cross, yep. He's kind of a one trick pony in that regard and has shown he can take the quick hitter to the house on occassion as he does have some decent speed.

I already expressed I like Taylor as the #1 back, but again, I am surprised that so many people think Newby is the clear cut #1 guy. Based on a few good spring game runs? I think the kid can be the best back on the team, but I'm not convinced he is yet. Cross even out played him last year based on numbers.

Cross: 75 carries, 384 yards, 5.1 YPC, Long 62 yards, 5 TDS

Newby: 67 carries, 297 yards, 4.4 YPC, Long 43 yards, 5 TDs

It's not just from the spring game, although Newby was the starter which says something. It's also from the practice reports from the couple weeks leading up to it. Even Benning said during the game he thought Newby was the #1 guy.

But I expect Taylor to keep coming. Coach Davis said right after spring break that he thought Taylor was still pretty tentative in the first couple weeks of practice as he was still working back into the feel of things after his injury. But Davis said Taylor was looking more confident lately. And he looked pretty good in the spring game.

I think a rotation of Newby and Taylor would serve us well this year.

Trap plays for Cross, yep. He's kind of a one trick pony in that regard and has shown he can take the quick hitter to the house on occassion as he does have some decent speed.

Unfortunately neither NU under Pelini or Riley has a history of running trap much at all

What we did see a little of was some H back WHam style plays that might kinda resemble trap a little

Pro Style teams have run a little of that:

http://www.onefootdown.com/2014/12/18/7413461/ofd-films-lsu-tigers-offensive-preview-notre-dame-lsu-football-analysis-music-city-bowl-2014

Unfortunately neither NU under Pelini or Riley has a history of running trap much at all

What we did see a little of was some H back WHam style plays that might kinda resemble trap a little

http://www.onefootdown.com/2014/12/18/7413461/ofd-films-lsu-tigers-offensive-preview-notre-dame-lsu-football-analysis-music-city-bowl-2014

Bring back the trap! Bring back the fullback while they're at it! Pro style, what the heck... Oh yeah, TEs, Riley was supposed to be big on TEs. Were TEs thrown to in the spring game?

• Fire 1

Im just telling you what NU and Riley has run in the past and what Pro style teams run

Guys that old don't change much, they believe in something and usually stick to it

Pro style offenses don't usually run trap and I haven't seen any in the OSU film I watched- just a few games though

The H back Wham isn't really that far off though and NU/Pelini and Pro style teams do run it some, it allows Linemen to get to the second level right away without the zone combo blocks- 1 less linemen to block

As to TEs- yes the Pro Style uses a lot of them, some as H backs

Riley may not have what he needs at TE to run it just yet- who knows

What you or I want and what he really runs are 2 different things> Im not a fan of it, but that doesn't matter

We haven't been a trap heavy team since TO days- not much at all under Pelini

Bring back the trap! Bring back the fullback while they're at it! Pro style, what the heck... Oh yeah, TEs, Riley was supposed to be big on TEs. Were TEs thrown to in the spring game?
Yes. The fullback was even thrown to in the spring game. Not sure if it means much going forward, but there was more I-formation than I was expecting. Jano threw a couple nice blocks. Such a wasted talent.

Yes. The fullback was even thrown to in the spring game. Not sure if it means much going forward, but there was more I-formation than I was expecting. Jano threw a couple nice blocks. Such a wasted talent.

He actually made a really nice grab too. Would be pretty cool to throw to the fb when the defense totally wasn't expecting it.

I already expressed I like Taylor as the #1 back, but again, I am surprised that so many people think Newby is the clear cut #1 guy. Based on a few good spring game runs? I think the kid can be the best back on the team, but I'm not convinced he is yet. Cross even out played him last year based on numbers.

Cross: 75 carries, 384 yards, 5.1 YPC, Long 62 yards, 5 TDS

Newby: 67 carries, 297 yards, 4.4 YPC, Long 43 yards, 5 TDs

It's not just from the spring game, although Newby was the starter which says something. It's also from the practice reports from the couple weeks leading up to it. Even Benning said during the game he thought Newby was the #1 guy.

But I expect Taylor to keep coming. Coach Davis said right after spring break that he thought Taylor was still pretty tentative in the first couple weeks of practice as he was still working back into the feel of things after his injury. But Davis said Taylor was looking more confident lately. And he looked pretty good in the spring game.

I think a rotation of Newby and Taylor would serve us well this year.

I think so too. And give Wilbon a few plays hear and there. Building a future with these talented backs begins this season. One game at a time.