Post spring game RB depth chart

That being said, I ascribe to Chip Kelley's philosophy on Inside and Outside zone read and all of my concepts were pulled from a coaching clinic he put on before he left USC.

Chip Kelley never coached at USC

So Im doubting he ever left there- because he never worked there

So Im doubting anyone ever went to a clinic he put on as a coach from there

However right now when you search on Inside Zone Read amazingly Chip Kelleys Nike Coach of the Year notes from when he Coached at Oregon - it was posted on a USC site

So that's how you got confused thinking Chip coached at USC- from what was pulled up on google right before the post

He didn't- he was at New Hampshire before he got on with Oregon

http://www.trojanfootballanalysis.com/pdfdocs/oregonruns.pdf

GSM

Hard to beat Damon Bennings analysis of this aspect of the NU program

Hes been spot on in the past

While Ive learned quite a bit about zone over the last 8-10 years, Damon knows more and is closer to the situation than me, so I defer to him on this one.

So which one would we run more?

Like I've been saying this entire Time, I think Cross should get his chance to shine this year right alongside Newby. I think there is room in this offense for both.

Sometimes, I wish I knew more about inside zone read and outside zone read so that I could be cool and hip though.

I won't pretend I know the nuances of inside and outside zone because I'm sure others can explain better. I guess the best way for me to answer 'which one would we run more' is that I don't know. All I know is that if there's a running play that asks the running back to make a decision and make a cut, and then accelerate, I don't think that's Cross' forte. Anything that asks him to move quickly laterally, I believe, is better suited for a back like Newby. I just have this memory stuck in my mind of Cross not creating enough distance and acceleration when needed when he had to go to the sidelines on a play.

If I want someone to take the ball in the I-formation and follow his fullback into a hole, I'll take Cross every day.

I'll be interested to see more of our running style as the season progresses, but, my initial interpretation of the offense Riley wants to run tells me that Cross may not be best suited. Again that's just my interpretation, but my gut tells me Newby is probably going to sit in the ~20 carry range and things will trickle down from there.

Oh but it has

Anyone can read the Oregon site, the fishducks site- you would find a lot of what Oregon does has morphed over time

I realize this may be something new for those that think Chip Kelley coached at USC

BTW we wont be a zone read team

Over time we will be a zone team- there is a difference in how the backside DE is accounted for

That will also mean the "zone read" plays that are aren't a read and are optimized for the keep or give will be gone too-

The plays Imani could have run, plays we ran years ago- the power read and sweep read (inverted veer) are long gone- when Beck tired of having hurt QBs- Those WERENT zone read plays, MUCH different series- announcers were clueless as to what those plays were and we ran them a bunch.

Nothing in Kelleys Nike Coach of the year notes discounted what I said about zone runners

Note that Oregon has had small shifty backs- because they run a ton of zone

Imani wouldn't see the field for them in their scheme, I take that back- they probably wouldn't have recruited him

What I learned about zone didn't come from a single article I downloaded 10 minutes prior to my post :hmmph

As I said before LOTs of High SChool teams wont run zone- because they don't have kids who can run it

You can have a great kid, good speed, power, even good in HS who never gets how to run zone, it happens

Same goes even for some big time programs. I heard Saban talk a couple of years ago about a year they ran a bunch of gap stuff because they didn't have a consistent zone runner.

Oh but it has

Anyone can read the Oregon site, the fishducks site- you would find a lot of what Oregon does has morphed over time

I realize this may be something new for those that think Chip Kelley coached at USC

Over time we will be a zone team- there is a difference in how the backside DE is accounted for

Nothing in Kelleys Nike Coach of the year notes discounted what I said about zone runners

Imani wouldn't see the field for them in their scheme

What I learned about zone didn't come from a single article I downloaded 10 minutes prior to my post :hmmph

As I said before LOTs of High SChool teams wont run zone- because they don't have kids who can run it

You can have a great kid, good speed, power, even good in HS who never gets how to run zone, it happens

Same goes even for some big time programs. I heard Saban talk a couple of years ago about a year they ran a bunch of gap stuff because they didn't have a consistent zone runner.

You know what???

You have some very good information that I would love to read more about on this site. But, you come off as condescending and acting like you know more than anyone else.

• Fire 2

Oh but it has

You know what???

You have some very good information that I would love to read more about on this site. But, you come off as condescending and acting like you know more than anyone else.

It's all directed at Blitzfirst. Shouldn't be a problem

• Fire 2

Oh but it has

You know what???

No he's very condescending.

If Cross was as good as some people on here claim, there wouldn't be a 2 page discussion about what the depth chart is beginning with the starter. It would be who is the back up and down the line.

I think if Bo was still here it would be Cross at #1 no doubt splitting time 70/30 with Newby. Cross probably doesn't fit well in Rileys system as well as Newby.

Either way I would like to see Cross on the field in some fashion, even if it was as a sparingly used FB.

I would disagree. Bo was bad at a lot of things but he always played the better RB. Based on what I saw last year and at this Spring game, Newby is the better back.

Word on the street is Taylor was going to play ahead of Cross last year (before he got hurt, of course).

I was coaching out of state last year

I didn't get a chance to see any practices or live games in person with exception of last home game

That doesn't surprise me one bit

The little I saw of him in Spring Game I liked

Tight, no wasted movement, quick, explosive

Read the OZ pretty well

Attacked the landmark- made correct read

It would be great if you attacked my post instead of me. I did report your post though, just an FYI because I'm held to this same standard that I'm holding you to.

You don't know me from Adam...you have no idea if I coach football and you don't know what level I coach it at. I don't assume to know you either...and I'm surely not going to insult you personally or your coaching ability just because I disagree with you. In my opinion, you need some work on following the rules of the board.

That being said, I ascribe to Chip Kelley's philosophy on Inside and Outside zone read and all of my concepts were pulled from a coaching clinic he put on before he left USC. If you think what I'm saying is dumb, then you're definitely thinking Chip Kelley is dumb. I guarantee you he isn't.

Honestly, it's been fun debating with you up until the last post...I'd prefer you read all of my post before replying but I'm pretty sure you didn't (since you seem to think I'm still saying Cross INSTEAD of Newby when I'm saying Cross AND Newby).

Are you sure you went to a coaching clinic put on by Chip Kelley while he was at USC? Are you really, really sure?

Most people who know football know Chip Kelleys coaching pedigree and know he didn't ever coach at USC or anything close to that kind of school before he got his gig at Oregon. Pretty common knowledge, unique path through New Hampshire, a trail blazer. Someone that is trying to portray themselves as knowing the details of running zone would probably know about that.

Oh but it has

You know what???

First they came for BlitzFirst...
  • Fire 1