Post spring game RB depth chart

Newby-Cross-Taylor/Wilbon for me.

Newby easy #1.

Cross isn't great at anything but is still a hoss and can get you 3-4 yards pretty easy. Most experienced too.

Wanted to see Taylor get North and South more, he strung some to the sideline which isn't his strength...I'm sure he's still weary of injury.

Wilbon looked good for a RSFr, just needs another year to be a big factor. But I think he'll be a stud.

Nabity I see what the coaches saw and he's a good option in a pinch.

Nelson,quick and shifty. Lacks breakaway speed, showed nice vs the 5th string D.

We have a fifth string defense?

I wasn't blown away by any of the RB's. Kind of bummed. I wanted someone to make it obvious. A lot of time left for someone to work to the top but like EZ and I were discussing yesterday, I hope it's a running back by committee thing until someone makes it clear.

Benning said during the game that he'd go Newby-Taylor-Wilbon-Cross. I'd agree.

A little surprised there isn't more arguing for Cross given the discussions over the last couple years.

I'm pretty sure Cross is #1. Based on two things...his pass catching ability and his ability to pick up blitzes. Newby said in an interview that Cross is the best at that and the others are playing catchup to him.

That alone makes me think Cross is the most complete back.

There is a reason why Cross was working with the Red team all spring but ended up on the White team for the Spring Game. And it isn't because he's the #1 guy.

And I'm not sure where you're getting the certainty about his pass-catching ability. He's caught four passes in three years, gaining a whopping 13 yards. Newby has caught 11 passes in two years, gaining 46 yards.

Newby-Cross-Taylor/Wilbon for me.

Newby easy #1.

Cross isn't great at anything but is still a hoss and can get you 3-4 yards pretty easy. Most experienced too.

Wanted to see Taylor get North and South more, he strung some to the sideline which isn't his strength...I'm sure he's still weary of injury.

Wilbon looked good for a RSFr, just needs another year to be a big factor. But I think he'll be a stud.

Nabity I see what the coaches saw and he's a good option in a pinch.

Nelson,quick and shifty. Lacks breakaway speed, showed nice vs the 5th string D.

We have a fifth string defense?

I wasn't blown away by any of the RB's. Kind of bummed. I wanted someone to make it obvious. A lot of time left for someone to work to the top but like EZ and I were discussing yesterday, I hope it's a running back by committee thing until someone makes it clear.

It was said tongue in cheek to point out the level of guys he was going against compared to what Newby/Cross/Taylor were doing.

I agree with you said next, but it is kinda hard to blow people away when they are getting limited touches and aren't getting into a zone/groove.

Benning said during the game that he'd go Newby-Taylor-Wilbon-Cross. I'd agree.

A little surprised there isn't more arguing for Cross given the discussions over the last couple years.

I'm pretty sure Cross is #1. Based on two things...his pass catching ability and his ability to pick up blitzes. Newby said in an interview that Cross is the best at that and the others are playing catchup to him.

That alone makes me think Cross is the most complete back.

I think he's #2, but I think you're right about him being the best at pass protection, which the staff highly values, and he can obviously catch. I wish Benning would have elaborated on what he said about what the staff was trying to do, because based on every we've heard from spring camp, it doesn't make a lot of sense that Cross would be 4th.

If there was a game tomorrow...

1.) Newby (Only critique is that I think he's looking for the big run too often, instead of just running for positive yards. The big runs will come.)

2A.) Taylor (Need to catch those screen passes. But looks like a solid RB.)

2B.) Cross (No doubt a hard runner. Just not as quick as the others.)

3.) Wilbon (Lacks experience, but he could be a very good RB in 2 years.)

I know I am in the minority here, but I am not sold on Newby yet. He has plenty of upside, but spends to much time trying to do the shake and bake...... he leaves yards on the field.

I don't think anyone is sold on any of the backs just yet. They all have limited game experience and are now in a different offensive system. Hard to really know, just best guesses right now.

• Fire 1

1.) Newby (Only critique is that I think he's looking for the big run too often, instead of just running for positive yards. The big runs will come.)

What does that mean? He's looking for the big run too often?

So on runs where he ony gains five yards, he wasn't looking for the big run?

When he runs fifty yards, then he must've been looking for it?

Running backs should try to make the most of every carry they get. End of story. Now if they arent hitting their gaps, hesitatiing, or running sideways far too often instead of north and south, that can be a problem. Always look for the big run. The offensive line and WR's should block like it's going to be the big run also.

Running backs should try to make the most of every carry they get. End of story. Now if they arent hitting their gaps, hesitatiing, or running sideways far too often instead of north and south, that can be a problem. Always look for the big run. The offensive line and WR's should block like it's going to be the big run also.

You know exactly what I mean. Frankly, I think your looking for a fight.

you're*

you're*

Correct. Thank you!

zqiiizvq6rtlw6f1s2no.gif