Lawrence Phillips Update (Spoiler Alert: Not Good)

No a message needs to be sent. Prison is not the answer as it is just their normal life, the strong get stronger and kill and then have no repercussions.

Have you ever had a loved one killed, had your business robbed, your home ransacked, your kids kidnapped. I have experienced one side of this. I developed a strong hate for the criminals involved and the lawyers that tried so hard to free them. I just spent 3 weeks on a murder trial jury. Security guard beat to death, but the poor criminal was abused as a child, his life was tough and on and on. He was afraid, so he beat a 59 year old man to death.

Violence is easy to say is nothing, that we are better. Until it affects you. Its just another news story.

NO one is responsible for what they do.

I am no better or worse. I am just tired of the free pass system we have today.

• Fire 3

Two murders the same afternoon. another dirt bag ate it later that afternoon. I would guess both gang related. Now I am so sad. We pay to feed, educate these pieces of crap, and some get released on society again.Put them on a frozen island, fly in food once a month, enough for ten and forget about them. Strong survive, once every six months strafe the area with heavy machine gun fire. End the problem of career criminals. Just as LP said it was better being alone, safer. What a joke of a system.

That place is called australia.

• Fire 1

This is a tough day for Coach Osborne, his choice has haunted him for years. He actually cared very much for LP. I know he did not do it for the team, but for LP and LP alone. It has sullied a great man's career. It is mentioned a lot. He might have been locked up earlier, with out money he may have been forced to work for the first time in his life, rather than depend on his athletic abilities. Nebraska did all they could do for him, Coach Osborne bares the burden of him. I feel bad for Tom, he wanted the kid to make it so badly.

Good points. I also think LP cost Tommy the Heisman.

I remember the first time I started scratching my head about this kid.

It was either in spring practice or fall camp before his first really good year. We started hearing stories about fights in practice and how there was an RB that absolutely nobody wanted to mess with. I thought...."What? A little RB is the one everyone is scared of in practice?" Then, I saw him play and realized this kid was just one tough SOB and an amazing athlete.

Too bad he had nobody growing up that taught him how to channel that toughness into something productive as a young kid.

I had a small class with LP when I was a frosh, and he was a sophomore. He seemed like a pretty normal guy, and actually he seemed pretty quiet and shy. From what Benning says, if you were on his good side, he was great to you, but if you were on his bad side, he was a bad dude.

I am not excusing any of LP's behavior, but when kids have a bad up-bringing they are more likely to make bad decisions as adults. It sounds like LP had as bad as an upbringing as there is.

LP is a dirtbag of a human being. But man, that guy could really tote the rock. Best Husker I-back ever. IMHO.

That said, I would 1000x rather have Ameer, Roy or Rex on the team.

I'm right there with ya. There were times where LP looked like a man amongst boys on a team that was crazy talented.

The Fiesta Bowl run at 2:32 of that video was just incredible.

Good listen.

Damon Benning

Excellent segment by Benning. +1. I didn't realize that TO put it to a team vote whether they should give LP a second chance. Tom put pros and cons on the white board before the vote, to let guys know that it would be controversial to keep him.

Funny, but when people criticize TO for keeping Lawrence on the team they never mention that TO put it to a team vote as to whether they should keep him. They make it sound like it was a selfish decision on TO's part. I think TO was just trying to give the guy a second chance and send him on to the NFL in good stead.

• Fire 1

Good listen.

Damon Benning

Excellent segment by Benning. +1. I didn't realize that TO put it to a team vote whether they should give LP a second chance. Tom put pros and cons on the white board before the vote, to let guys know that it would be controversial to keep him.

Funny, but when people criticize TO for keeping Lawrence on the team they never mention that TO put it to a team vote as to whether they should keep him. They make it sound like it was a selfish decision on TO's part. I think TO was just trying to give the guy a second chance and send him on to the NFL in good stead.

This right here shows what a great leader and man TO was. He knew it would affect every guy in the program so he put it to them. Then, when the vote was cast and he was let on the team and sh#t started to fly, he never made it a huge deal that the team was who let him on. He took the heat himself.

Good listen.

Damon Benning

Putting it to a team vote is fine. Whatever. But Phillips should have never played another down that year. Let alone start the Fiesta Bowl. Osborne let him play and start to help him increase his draft stock so he could be rid of him.

Did Osborne, a doctor of child psychology, really think that Phillips going to the NFL where there is millions of dollars in the hands of immature young people was the best option for someone like LP? Not buying it.