Lawrence Phillips Update (Spoiler Alert: Not Good)

I wont make any excuses for LP but as a foster parent and an adoptive parent of a children from a broken home with abuse I can understand what is going on with him. We have under gone therapy for 7 years and we are talking about a child that came to us at 15months and 6 months old which had issues of abuse as it is ingrained into the childs brain and it is very hard for them to make the right choices even though they know it is wrong to do. Again what he did was wrong and there are punishments for it but what you don't understand with him and alot of these people that make the wrong choice is that is the way their brain tells them to act even if they know it is wrong. If you dont get therapy as a child it is almost imposible to change as an adult because your brain is set in your ways. I mean how would you like it if your mother sat there and watched a man abuse you day after day growing up and not doing anything to stop it your brain would tell you it is ok for violence. The man held LP on the ground with his foot and would piss on him how would that make you feel day in an day out as a child.

There is so much wrong with what you just said.

Care to spell it out?

LP was and is a punk. The end. Whether it was self defense or not is for the courts to work out. He was in prison and deserved to be there because he's a punk. Makes Nebraska look bad. That's the reality. Recruit troubled kids and that's what we get. Hurts the brand.

Do you know Lawrence personally? Or are you just calling him a punk because he had a troubled youth and his run-ins with the law. I am not condoning the assault on Kate McKewen or him going after some kids at a park. However, there are many reasons why Lawrence turned out to be the person he is today. A lot of that has to do with the situation he lived in as a child.

I had a small class (25-30 students) at UNL with Lawrence as a freshman in the spring 1995. To me, he seemed like a typical college guy. He was actually pretty quiet and shy. I wouldn't say I "know him" but for a semester in that class, he wasn't a "punk" to me or the entire class.

I don't think it's fair to make broad statements about a guy if you don't know him or ever interacted with him.

• 1 month later...

Could be, but the death penalty has to be reinstated first. Right now it's under a court ordered moratorium and has been for nearly 10 years now. The last execution was in 2006.

That could change soon though.

http://news.yahoo.com/why-california-wants-single-drug-executions-171636538.html

LP was and is a punk. The end. Whether it was self defense or not is for the courts to work out. He was in prison and deserved to be there because he's a punk. Makes Nebraska look bad. That's the reality. Recruit troubled kids and that's what we get. Hurts the brand.

Do you know Lawrence personally? Or are you just calling him a punk because he had a troubled youth and his run-ins with the law. I am not condoning the assault on Kate McKewen or him going after some kids at a park. However, there are many reasons why Lawrence turned out to be the person he is today. A lot of that has to do with the situation he lived in as a child.

I had a small class (25-30 students) at UNL with Lawrence as a freshman in the spring 1995. To me, he seemed like a typical college guy. He was actually pretty quiet and shy. I wouldn't say I "know him" but for a semester in that class, he wasn't a "punk" to me or the entire class.

I don't think it's fair to make broad statements about a guy if you don't know him or ever interacted with him.

his actions speak for who and what he is........you don't have to know him, really?

his actions speak for who and what he is........you don't have to know him, really?

I don't think an outsider truly knows anyone regardless of what actions that person has taken. Lawrence Philips is a pretty troubled soul that has done some pretty bad things. His is a sad story and while I don't condone his bad behavior I do feel empathy for him.

• Fire 4

Let's not get ahead in the narrative. Lawrence Phillips hasn't been found guilty of any criminal wrongdoing yet pertaining to the death of his cellmate.

I do some helping at a place that helps people out. Sometimes I wonder how people get their lives so screwed up, and then after hearing their stories, about their lives, and about their circumstances, you wonder why their lives aren't screwed up even worse and how they did as well as they have. :dunno

• Fire 3

Let's not get ahead in the narrative. Lawrence Phillips hasn't been found guilty of any criminal wrongdoing yet pertaining to the death of his cellmate.

I do some helping at a place that helps people out. Sometimes I wonder how people get their lives so screwed up, and then after hearing their stories, about their lives, and about their circumstances, you wonder why their lives aren't screwed up even worse and how they did as well as they have. :dunno

Some of that stuff can not only make you appreciate your own life more but it can literally move you to tears.