Signed - QB Patrick O'Brien

Treand3

He played linebacker on a Pop Warner team that featured two quarterbacks who would gain notoriety well before him.

He picked a high school football program that went 0-10 the season before his arrival.
And as a 6-foot, 170-pound freshman with aspirations to play quarterback, his resume included no game experience at the position.
Meet Patrick O’Brien, the player many might have missed during his early years at San Juan Hills and as an eighth-grader on a star-studded Pop Warner team.
“No one knew who I was coming in (to high school),” O’Brien recalled. “I wasn’t a big kind of (prospect).”

Link

O’Brien grew up participating in several sports, including football, baseball, basketball and swimming. His father, Paul, swam in college and his mother, Anna, played volleyball for the Swedish national team.

O’Brien’s favorite sport growing up was baseball. He played on several travel teams, often filling strong-arm positions such as pitcher, catcher and right field.

As an eighth-grader, he played linebacker on a Saddleback Valley Wolverines Pop Warner team that featured Tesoro quarterback Devon Modster and Santa Margarita quarterback KJ Costello.

It was around that time O’Brien began thinking about switching to quarterback. His neighborhood friend, ex-St. Margaret’s quarterback Josh Davis (now at Lafayette), encouraged him to train with his private passing coach, Steve Calhoun, and O’Brien took the advice.

O’Brien said one of the reasons he picked his hometown school of San Juan Hills was the freedom to play football and baseball. He played quarterback for the first time as a freshman and after his first spring of baseball, decided to focus solely on football.

Link

OBrien grew up participating in several sports, including football, baseball, basketball and swimming. His father, Paul, swam in college and his mother, Anna, played volleyball for the Swedish national team.

OBriens favorite sport growing up was baseball. He played on several travel teams, often filling strong-arm positions such as pitcher, catcher and right field.

As an eighth-grader, he played linebacker on a Saddleback Valley Wolverines Pop Warner team that featured Tesoro quarterback Devon Modster and Santa Margarita quarterback KJ Costello.

It was around that time OBrien began thinking about switching to quarterback. His neighborhood friend, ex-St. Margarets quarterback Josh Davis (now at Lafayette), encouraged him to train with his private passing coach, Steve Calhoun, and OBrien took the advice.

OBrien said one of the reasons he picked his hometown school of San Juan Hills was the freedom to play football and baseball. He played quarterback for the first time as a freshman and after his first spring of baseball, decided to focus solely on football.

Link
Oh, no. Another big Swedish QB out of California. Well, I guess we are only taking one QB this class.

Another player we feel is deserving of one of the final spots is San Juan Capistrano (Calif.) San Juan Hills’ Patrick O’Brien. The Nebraska commit was strong on Saturday and although he had a couple of throws we know he wanted back in the 7v7 today, he showed, in our eyes, he should be mentioned as one of the nation’s best pure throwers.

Scout

• Fire 2

I don't get caught up in the competition aspect of the Elite 11. There are alot of players who do well in these situations, but struggle once they get the pads on and have a d-line coming after them. I hope he makes the finals so that he gets another session with some of the top QB coaches in the country. Of course I hope he wins, but getting the extra coaching is the real prize here.

• Fire 1

I don't get caught up in the competition aspect of the Elite 11. There are alot of players who do well in these situations, but struggle once they get the pads on and have a d-line coming after them. I hope he makes the finals so that he gets another session with some of the top QB coaches in the country. Of course I hope he wins, but getting the extra coaching is the real prize here.

It sounds like we already have one of those guys on our roster...

Thee spots left in the Elite 11 Finals. Two to be announced tonight. The final one on Monday.

As an aside, this seems like an incredibly long time to decide the finalists. Technically they are picking 18 out of 30 guys, although 10 or so were already invited before the semi-finals. So they're picking about 8 guys out of 20 who they watched for two straight days and were familiar with before that. But it still takes a week to figure it out. That seems odd to me.