Maliek Collins Projected 2016 First-Round Pick by Todd McShay

It's an Insider article so you have to have a subscription to read it but he has Collins at #27 (Packers).

B1G fares well with Hackenberg, Cook and Bosa going 1-2-3. Cardale Jones, Taylor Decker (OSU), Jack Conklin (MSU), Ezekiel Elliott and Darron Lee (OSU) also in the first round.

C'mon, Hackenburg #1 overall? Seriously?

Hackenburg down to 24 in Kiper's rankings and 26 in McShay's. Still vastly overated...

Maliek hasn't been dominating like we'd hoped, but it can't help that he's working without two starters on the D Line, and opponents have the luxury of double-teaming him with impunity.

Perhaps as Freedom emerges as a force, and when Gangwish & VV get back, Maliek's abilities will shine through. As it is, I'd pencil him in for a Blackshirt in 2016.

Maliek hasn't been dominating like we'd hoped, but it can't help that he's working without two starters on the D Line, and opponents have the luxury of double-teaming him with impunity.

Perhaps as Freedom emerges as a force, and when Gangwish & VV get back, Maliek's abilities will shine through. As it is, I'd pencil him in for a Blackshirt in 2016.

As it is, I wouldn't.

As it is, I wouldn't.

Meaning he isn't doing well enough to earn a blackshirt next year? Or that he will declare for the draft?

I noticed a few plays where Maliek was not only double teamed, he was also bumped by a fullback/RB who was releasing for a route.

As it is, I wouldn't.

Meaning he isn't doing well enough to earn a blackshirt next year? Or that he will declare for the draft?

I would expect Maliek to go pro. I think he will be drafted in the first 2 rounds. He will get sick of all the double and triple teams he is seeing at NU, and realize that his draft stock is good enough to get in the NFL, start making some cash, and set himself up for his 2nd contract.

As it is, I wouldn't.

I would expect Maliek to go pro. I think he will be drafted in the first 2 rounds. He will get sick of all the double and triple teams he is seeing at NU, and realize that his draft stock is good enough to get in the NFL, start making some cash, and set himself up for his 2nd contract.

Go pro. Keep in mind he also has a famoly/son to provide for.

NFL teams draft on potential more than they do college performance. Collins will turn 21 this April so he's still relatively young. I think NFL scouts will drool over his combination of size and quickness at the DT spot.

I think he would be smart to go pro, get a nice paycheck from his rookie contract, and then hopes he hits a big paycheck with his 2nd contract. The rookie contracts are no longer as big as what they used to be (Suh's draft class being the last one that was huge money). The 2nd contract is where the big money is for NFL players (see Suh's recent contract with the Dolphins), and most player's don't last long enough to earn a 3rd contract.

Apparently the University is covering the $20,000 premium for an insurance policy for Collins in case he loses draft stock due to injury.

Pretty common now-a-days. Not sure if it means he's definitely looking to leave after this year but it would seem that he'll give it a long look.

Yeah, you're right. He should do what's best. That's selfishness as a Husker fan speaking; we always want to see our best players in red as long as we can.

Yeah, I understand that you were looking at it from a fan point of view. Nothing wrong with that. Not trying to chastise you there.

Yes, it would be great if Maliek came back next year and was awesome for the Huskers, but I wouldn't be upset with him if he went to the NFL.