Recent Recruit Offerings

I think we have to assume that these are all commit-able offers until we hear otherwise. It's not fair to the staff to start spreading the idea around that they are doing that unless, well, unless they really are doing it. That stuff comes out eventually, so we will find out then.

I don't know how you have an uncommitable offer with out being honest with the recruit.

Not saying we're doing this but there was a tweet from a national recruiting guy recently that said the first question any recruit should ask when they receive any offer is to ask if they can commit right then. The implication being they aren't told that they are the "Plan B" until down the road when they try to commit and find out they don't have a spot.

Not much for profiles that I can find. Scout lists him as a TE. His Hudl page says WR & OLB. Not sure what position we're recruiting him for.

I wonder who are his other five offers.
Scout shows 3 others.
From Pope's Twitter feed, his seven offers are (in reverse chronological order) Nebraska, Army, Jacksonville State, Furman University, Georgia Southern University, Austin Peay State University, and Navy.

In other words this kid is a reach.
Calling a kid a "reach" before he's even done with his Jr. Year of high school. Lol.

This kid isn't tucked away in Montana where college coaches don't get to watch him. He's in Tennessee.

So, unless Mike Riley has noticed something in this kid that coaches from the SEC and ACC haven't noticed, he's a reach.

Chill. There are numerous guys we offer every year that at the time of the offer have little to no BCS caliber offers and end up with "big" schools after them. Jason Hall and Trai Mosely off the top of my head Maybe Deon Jones. And I think Stanton only had 1 or 2 BCS offers when we jumped on him and he ended up a 4 star. All four of those guys are not "tucked away in Montana".

We do offer numerous guys every year that have little to no BCS caliber offers, most of them jump when the local school offers. Like Jason Hall and Deon Jones.

We also haven't won a conference championship or played in a meaningful game in 15 years.

Landlord hit it perfectly earlier. Look, recruiting rankings aren't a guarantee. Ask recent Michigan, Florida, or Texas teams. But very few teams are successful without stringing together multiple top 20-15 recruiting classes. Nebraska is not keeping pace to finish that high and will likely finish in the 30s for the 3rd straight year.

It's not a guarantee, but it's a borderline requirement.

TCU, Mich St., Kansas St, and Boise prove exceptions to the rule. Not consistently top classes but usually contenders.Identifying talent that fits what you are wanting to do on offense and defense and developing that talent can compete for titles. For as many teams you can say stars do matter you can probably find just about as many on the other side of that argument too.

Not much for profiles that I can find. Scout lists him as a TE. His Hudl page says WR & OLB. Not sure what position we're recruiting him for.

I wonder who are his other five offers.
Scout shows 3 others.
From Pope's Twitter feed, his seven offers are (in reverse chronological order) Nebraska, Army, Jacksonville State, Furman University, Georgia Southern University, Austin Peay State University, and Navy.

In other words this kid is a reach.
Calling a kid a "reach" before he's even done with his Jr. Year of high school. Lol.

This kid isn't tucked away in Montana where college coaches don't get to watch him. He's in Tennessee.

So, unless Mike Riley has noticed something in this kid that coaches from the SEC and ACC haven't noticed, he's a reach.

Chill. There are numerous guys we offer every year that at the time of the offer have little to no BCS caliber offers and end up with "big" schools after them. Jason Hall and Trai Mosely off the top of my head Maybe Deon Jones. And I think Stanton only had 1 or 2 BCS offers when we jumped on him and he ended up a 4 star. All four of those guys are not "tucked away in Montana".

We do offer numerous guys every year that have little to no BCS caliber offers, most of them jump when the local school offers. Like Jason Hall and Deon Jones.

We also haven't won a conference championship or played in a meaningful game in 15 years.

Landlord hit it perfectly earlier. Look, recruiting rankings aren't a guarantee. Ask recent Michigan, Florida, or Texas teams. But very few teams are successful without stringing together multiple top 20-15 recruiting classes. Nebraska is not keeping pace to finish that high and will likely finish in the 30s for the 3rd straight year.

It's not a guarantee, but it's a borderline requirement.

TCU, Mich St., Kansas St, and Boise prove exceptions to the rule. Not consistently top classes but usually contenders.Identifying talent that fits what you are wanting to do on offense and defense and developing that talent can compete for titles. For as many teams you can say stars do matter you can probably find just about as many on the other side of that argument too.
How many national titles have those four teams won in the last 20 years? Of course there is some truth to what you are saying. But, there is a reason the last few title winners have been able to do so.

I get the old "Hey, if our staff likes them..." bit

But...how shouldn't it also be "Wow...no big time schools within 300 miles of this kid have even offered...that seems weird"

This early, no. After summer camps, yes.

Look at 2star Trai Mosley, we beat all the local teams to that offer. Even the small ones like SMU, but then he blew up. OU/TCU/Baylor all came calling.

But...how shouldn't it also be "Wow...no big time schools within 300 miles of this kid have even offered...that seems weird"

Look at 2star Trai Mosley, we beat all the local teams to that offer. Even the small ones like SMU, but then he blew up. OU/TCU/Baylor all came calling.

True...and I agree with what you are saying.

But, other coaches also know what they are doing, right?

Also, do we want Bo-type recruiting?

You mean taking a bunch of reaches and never oversigning?

You mean taking a bunch of reaches and never oversigning?

Right...I do not want that! I want a bunch of kids are legit and I am a pretty big fan of over-signing

And this kid might be awesome! I hope he is.

I'm OK with reaches etc if you are willing to max sign EVERY year

I don't think that will work out. You have to be back down in numbers before you know if the reaches are going to work out or not. So all your doing is replacing the walk-on guys who've done enough to earn a scholarship with your reaches. I think we'd have a lot better luck with more local guys working out than with bringing in reaches from all over the country.

With a class this big there will be a few reaches, you aren't going to get 25 high 3stars and above. But I'd rather reach early on a kid and be N if/when he blows up. Then reach a couple days before NSD.

I agree

With a class this big there will be a few reaches, you aren't going to get 25 high 3stars and above. But I'd rather reach early on a kid and be N if/when he blows up. Then reach a couple days before NSD.

I guess I don't think this is right - at least about getting three stars. High three stars maybe but that's not what we're looking at right now. The 2014 class had 25 members and only one was a two-star according to the 247 Composite (Irons). The 2013 class was 23 guys and only Miller was a two star.